Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749355 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3345 on: January 19, 2014, 04:46:30 pm »

Dammit, if it is really like you describe, something really bad may happen inUkraine first, and then in the Europe and European Russia.

You know, I heard opinions that all the stuff is going on like that because a generation that forgot the horrors of war - WWII - has grown up and wants some action in former USSR and particularly Ukraine. Once again, I can't make a complete picture from my position, but it seems to me that there is some sense in these words. What do you folks think?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: January 19, 2014, 04:52:33 pm »

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I'd take up a rifle for a cause I belive in, as long as there was a chance of success. European civil war, civil war within Ukraine (if the West gave support), Syria (if the West gave support and the secular rebels were stronger)...
Unless I'm too scared, of course :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: January 19, 2014, 04:57:31 pm »

You've quite illustrated the point I presented. I mean, my parents and grandparents confess that they would raise their weapons only against the open outer agression, and that their most terrible nightmare is war. And modern generation has no doubt to raise their weapons even in civil war, so the agression escalates.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:59:41 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: January 19, 2014, 04:59:27 pm »

I wouldn't, I would try to flee if my country was at war.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: January 19, 2014, 05:00:50 pm »

I thought Svoboda was pro-EU...
Svoboda is a mix between 2 and 3.  More radical nationalist groups often name us as western puppets fake nationalists because of that :)

So there is no history of a historical nation in the Eastern/Donbas area? Besides ethnic Ukrainians?
Nope, Donbass was never a historical nation.
But it is a "melting pot" region, most of it's cities were founded in mid 19th century when large scale mining and industrialization began in the area. So the region was populated by people from all Russian Empire. Ukrainians, Belorussians, Russians, Tatars and so on. As for rural population - it was severely reduced in size during 1932\1933. So it is hard to expect pro-Ukrainian notions in region like that.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: January 19, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »

Comrade, I would rather fight in a civil than in a national war - I don't really care if I'm ruled from Berlin, London or Moscow, as long as the policies are right. I'd see no reason to march against France (except tradition, maybe), but you'd definitely see me holding the Rhine bridges or doing something similar if/when a civil war comes around and the Rechtsstaat* needs to be defended. Everybody needs some things they'd gladly die for, don't you agree?

*I looked it up, that's an English word!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: January 19, 2014, 05:24:27 pm »

At this point I'm not that much more attached to my government or population than anybody else. I mean I would prefer a peaceful option where ever possible, but if I'm going to war then civil war is as good as any.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:44 pm »

Helgoland, I see your point. I understand it fully. I have mine more resembling to Max White's, exept I can't say any war is fine, I say any war is unacceptable.

I'd rather live in a police state than in democracy, if it guarantees safety from any inner or outer threats.
Sigs

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: January 19, 2014, 05:40:58 pm »

If you live in a police state, you are facing an inner threat, that being the police state. In that scenario, you are only safe if you're at the top and towing the party line.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: January 19, 2014, 05:46:31 pm »

I'd rather live in a police state than in democracy, if it guarantees safety from any inner or outer threats.
You see. Domesticated pig have much safer and more comfortable life than a wild one but....
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: January 19, 2014, 05:48:36 pm »

I think you mean potential threat of being taken away by something resembling KGB any moment without explanation of reason. My point here is odd, because I don't really scared of that. If my arrest is unjustified, then I will end up badly, but those multiple arrests prove themselves to be effective against ANY other inner threat, I'd disregard personal danger.

But I may be now kinda inadequate, I've read several distopian novels at once recently.
Sigs

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3356 on: January 19, 2014, 05:52:28 pm »

Got it. You can all just adopt American then, that way nobody is being favored.
I'd rather eat burgers D:<

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: January 19, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »

Everybody needs some things they'd gladly die for, don't you agree?
Nah, not really. If the intent is to do something of worth -- to benefit, change, or maintain something -- you are much better served living than dying. 'Tis a terrible waste to die for something. Better to live for it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: January 19, 2014, 05:59:29 pm »

In my opinion, eventually Ukraine will break up, the question is when will it happen and how peaceful will the breakup be.

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: January 19, 2014, 06:04:05 pm »

Yeah, why would anyone wage a world war over the Ukraine o.o?
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 1393