Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746411 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2265 on: November 30, 2013, 04:48:05 pm »

I have no intention to discuss LGBT issues with my current revolutionary mood. Besides, I know that no one gonna change their opinion on that subject

Regardless of our views/stances on LGBT issues and exactly how far Svoboda go, I think virtually everyone here (and across a lot of the West) is standing in solidarity with you in your fight for freedom. Stay safe, Ranger.
Nah, not really. Replacing the Russian figurehead with a party that will alienate the country from both Russia and the European Union (and possibly the rest of the world) doesn't seem that beneficial to me. Truly, it could easily end up a lot worse.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 30, 2013, 04:49:43 pm »

The "fight for freedom" that I spoke of did not necessarily involve replacing it with Svoboda, I was thinking specifically of freeing the likes of Tymoshenko (currently languishing in gaol) who would not alienate the country from the EU or the rest of the world. I am sorry I did not make that clear enough.

That said the current Russian figurehead is already alienating the country from both Russia, the EU and the rest of the world with his despicable behaviour in these crackdowns. Think on that. It's the entire point of all this.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:00:52 pm by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: November 30, 2013, 05:01:06 pm »

Don't worry
a) Svoboda not that radical like you all seem to think. Or rather it is radical but not in a way that you assume
b) Svoboda is only a part of the current movement. For three years we are allied with Ukrainian liberals in united opposition
c) Svoboda, like any other radical party will never get more than 10%, and no, there will be no military hunta or something like that. Wrong country for that
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: November 30, 2013, 05:03:53 pm »

I have no intention to discuss LGBT issues with my current revolutionary mood. Besides, I know that no one gonna change their opinion on that subject

Regardless of our views/stances on LGBT issues and exactly how far Svoboda go, I think virtually everyone here (and across a lot of the West) is standing in solidarity with you in your fight for freedom. Stay safe, Ranger.
Nah, not really. Replacing the Russian figurehead with a party that will alienate the country from both Russia and the European Union (and possibly the rest of the world) doesn't seem that beneficial to me. Truly, it could easily end up a lot worse.
There's always the chance they'll mellow out once they get the opportunitty to be part of the government; then they'd be no worse than some of the more rightist parties in Western Europe... But I know next to nothing of Ukrainian politics.
However, regardless of their more questionable points of view, they could provide some urgently needed muscle if push comes to shove. An example from German history: While the Nazis had the SA and the Communists had the Roter Frontkämpferbund, the democratic parties, mainly the SPD and the Zentrum, the main Catholic party, joined up to create the Reichsbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold, a paramilitary organization intended to defend the Republic. Although they did not succeed, it shows that such organizations/movements/groups are not necessarily evil - but one should have an eye out on them, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 30, 2013, 05:14:27 pm »

That might have come out harsher than I intended, but anyway. I was just going off the silly idea that the party would get a single majority, and could fully execute it's agenda.

Something that's very unlikely to happen, of course, but anyway.

Besides, we have several of those parties over here.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: December 01, 2013, 05:40:23 am »

I think I created a wrong impression yesterday, mostly due to revolutionary mood and adrenaline in blood...

Svoboda 
a) Got 2,000,000+ votes and has 8.44% of seats in parliament  on the last elections. We are not some para-military party that want to overthrow the government, we believe in democratic ways to change country. But see below
b) We have a history of a "street party". We exist since 1991 but got into parliament only in 2012, that was a long way to go. So we know how to act in street politics.  We know how to defend ourself, we are ready for conflict, but we don't want to create ones. After all, even if we wanted, starting first will kill us on the next elections.  On other hand, if situation will go Belarus way, we can go as far as transforming into a guerrilla group.
c) More radical nationalists (read Neo-Nazis) call us "stinky liberals that call themselves nationalists"  or more unpleasant words especially when you talk about Russian pan-Eastern-Slavic nationalist. Those guys either never participate in elections or get fraction of % at most. They are marginals. Still we have way more of those than I'd like. Especially among football fans.

On news from Ukraine - looks like rats starting  to leave the ship, 3 members of the ruling party announced that they leave the party.
Also rhetoric of officials changed from - "Protesters provoked it, they broke the law and police never used excess violence" to " It was wrong, the ones responsible* for it will be punished*" but our current demands are roughly along this lines:
1) New elections now, not in 2015
2) Criminal responsibility for the minister of internal affairs and all other along the commanding chain  for beatings
3) Immediate resignation of the current cabinet of ministers

*read scapegoats
*read fired at most
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: December 01, 2013, 08:25:21 am »

So we know how to act in street politics.  We know how to defend ourself, we are ready for conflict, but we don't want to create ones. After all, even if we wanted, starting first will kill us on the next elections.  On other hand, if situation will go Belarus way, we can go as far as transforming into a guerrilla group.
That's all I'm talking about - that party seems much better prepared for actual revolutionary action than anyone else, and it also seems like it would mostly be using that potential to ends I can agree with.

On the 'revolutionary sentiments' bit: An aquaintance of mine from Ukraine said something similar - confirmation from an independent source! :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: December 01, 2013, 08:43:42 am »

So, something like half of a million  on the streets. It was rather peaceful until now. Right now there are attempts to assault presidential administration by violent group that ignores all commands of opposition. That a minor group of right-wing anarchists, who are either idiots or provokers or Russian agents.  My opinion that they have very high chances to get beaten either by riot police, or by crowd or by both.

That surely will be in the news, but I can guarantee that this guys have nothing to do with opposition

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: December 01, 2013, 10:11:28 am »

According to RT and several other Russian news websites, riot police have just dispersed a crowd of opposition protesters that tried to storm the Ukrainian President's Administration building earlier today.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: December 01, 2013, 10:22:44 am »

Yep, 99% it is provocateurs + some idiots that followed them.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: December 01, 2013, 10:27:27 am »

You know shit's hitting the fan when even RT reports "massive pro-EU protests".
Also, this image is great:
The Bay12 postcard club

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: December 01, 2013, 10:49:48 am »

Provocateurs did a good job to create right media pictures....

Right now there are group of protesters that formed a wall to protect riot police from attacks. Surreal, isn't it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2277 on: December 01, 2013, 10:51:48 am »

You know shit's hitting the fan when even RT reports "massive pro-EU protests".
Also, this image is great:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hold it, need to tell my mates. We've been arguing over what's the best way to break a police kettle for a hell of a long time, and I've been the one proposing forklift-Hannibal tactics the whole time.
VICTORIA IN VEHICLES

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: December 01, 2013, 11:17:56 am »

I will never forget the Turkish anarchist football club that stole a power shovel and went around toppling police vans with it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2279 on: December 01, 2013, 01:38:15 pm »

Literally nightmare fuel.
If you have a panic attack whilst under British jurisdiction and are pregnant, you might find yourself one day without child because a C-section was performed without your acknowledgement.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1393