Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746409 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2235 on: November 30, 2013, 12:46:20 am »

You just don't have the right wheelchair.

You need one of them sup"d up military chairs. Chain guns and rocket packs and portable microwave ovens.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: November 30, 2013, 10:14:42 am »

So, they decided that it's a good idea to send special forces to beat the dance party? Thank you, Yanukovich, now only total morons will try that pacifistic shit again. Hope to make Russia\Belarus, here? You can try.

All my close friends are going to Kyiv right now. Not to sing song and chant slogans. I am home only because it's not very practical to fight with police in a wheelchair
Holy crap! How widespread is that sentiment?
Now that I'm against violent revolution out of principle, but this might get nasty if it blows up - the Prague Spring comes to mind...
What exactly do you mean by fighting police? Throwing rocks, throwing molotov cocktails, throwing grenades? It's pretty open...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: November 30, 2013, 10:53:53 am »

Quote from: Helgoland
Holy crap! How widespread is that sentiment?
Now that I'm against violent revolution out of principle, but this might get nasty if it blows up - the Prague Spring comes to mind...
What exactly do you mean by fighting police? Throwing rocks, throwing molotov cocktails, throwing grenades? It's pretty open...
General mood... I'd say aggressive confusion it's hard to predict what will come out of that. I and my friends don't really count because we are members of nationalist party so much more radical than average persons. While more radical people like me were pissed with all that "peaceful and not political pro european demonstrations" crap. Most never wanted active action. Now moderates got quite shocked when three thousands of riot police, without any warnings,  attacked 300 (with most of them being  teenagers). It was a violent, demonstrative, sadistic beatings by police from Crimea (Read Russians). Many got severe injuries, including broken arms and legs. And, I repeat, police never hesitated to beat 17 year old girls.

The most active action is expected tomorrow (Large opposition gathering is planned ) or this night if they'll dare to use force against the new crowd that formed rather spontaneously (10000+ and rising)

ATM, It's highly unlikely that the crowd will start the action first (it is  coordinated and calmed down by opposition politics, not some mob), but if attacked they will not fold easily.  Current chants include "Revolution!" "Glory to the Nation, Death to the Enemies!"  and other stuff like that, atmosphere is far, far from peaceful

Opposition calls for a nationwide strike starting from tomorrow and further plans to be announced later

Also, There are unconfirmed rumors that riot police in several Western cities ignored orders.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: November 30, 2013, 11:06:18 am »

Also, There are unconfirmed rumors that riot police in several Western cities ignored orders.
So it begins... Seriously, that sounds like pre-Bastille storming material - could you point me to a reliable news outlet from the Ukraine? American and German papers aren't bad, but they only give so much information, and bias is a serious concern.
(And what's the nationalist party you're talking of?)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: November 30, 2013, 11:10:34 am »

Truly, I doubt it will get that far. There weren't that many protesters out and about, and while police struck back hard, it's similar to what we saw in Turkey, and to a limited extent of the same scale to the protests in many European cities some years ago

The extent of the national strike, and the oppositions ability to coordinate it, will show us more about how serious it is.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: November 30, 2013, 11:44:46 am »

So it begins... Seriously, that sounds like pre-Bastille storming material
That's too early to say, Ukrainians have an amazing ability to calm down rather quickly... Who knows what will come out of it, one can be said for sure, Ukraine is different now and that mood will not just vanish for sure. Is hard to say when that potential energy of a riot will be released, but I have little doubts that it will. Ukrainians (at least rather large chunk of us) are not ready to Live in Belarus MK.2

could you point me to a reliable news outlet from the Ukraine?

Site with English version? Can't remember a good one. And I prefer Twitter, the best source of information (after some filtering)
Speaking about Twitter, new tag is becoming popular. "Януческу" meaning Yanuchesku, a mix between Yanukovich and Ceausescu. Another indication of the current mood.

(And what's the nationalist party you're talking of?)
This one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ukrainian_Union_%22Svoboda%22

Truly, I doubt it will get that far. There weren't that many protesters out and about, and while police struck back hard, it's similar to what we saw in Turkey, and to a limited extent of the same scale to the protests in many European cities some years ago
I doubt it, too. But one can hope, right?

The extent of the national strike, and the oppositions ability to coordinate it, will show us more about how serious it is.
Optimistic scenario - Strikes in Western Ukraine , half of Kiev and minor elsewhere . It will never be a nationwide, Eastern\Southern Ukraine is acting like nothing happened.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: November 30, 2013, 01:09:12 pm »

I agree with Svoboda on a lot of issues and vehemently disagree on others, particularly those that put them in line with the BNP in the UK but also their opposition to Crimean autonomy. I understand the reasoning is to break Russian control over Crimea but the Crimean Tatars should have autonomy out of basic principle.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: November 30, 2013, 01:09:33 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: November 30, 2013, 01:33:30 pm »

I understand the reasoning is to break Russian control over Crimea but the Crimean Tatars should have autonomy out of basic principle.
I can say you that it's one of issues that are most debated inside the party, but official position can be only one

Problem with giving autonomy to Crimean Tatars is that they are minority back home (12% IIRC). The only way to make any Crimean autonomy ruled by them and not Russians is to deport all Russians out of here. That's impossible. So other ways to ensure their survival as a nation are required. 

If you ask my personal opinion, I don't consider Crimea Ukrainian land, neither historically, nor culturally and would prefer friendly independent nation instead. But only if that will give land to a nation and create one more national state, not more land to Russian Empire.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: November 30, 2013, 01:45:10 pm »

It seems the worst is over for Greece.
Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait for the next financial crisis for Anarchist Greece.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: November 30, 2013, 01:47:46 pm »

I understand. Maybe inspiration can be taken from the USA and Canada and their approach to the tribal "nations". The idea of "nation" there is more abstract than just borders, perhaps that is all the Tatars can get at the moment. Maybe though if a party like Svoboda or similar took government there would be enough of an exodus from Ukraine that the Crimeans could actually take back their land that was so cruelly taken from them by Stalin.

We do see eye to eye with respect to Crimea though, I'm glad of that. Both Ukrainians and Tatars have a shared history of being shafted by the Red Tsar so I can understand that there would be a sense of kinship at least on that basis.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:53:22 pm by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: November 30, 2013, 01:58:10 pm »

In fact Crimean Tatars were one of the first to arrive in Kiev for protests and as I was informed by phone some of them are among this guys right now:

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: November 30, 2013, 01:59:59 pm »

I don't see what's so interesting about the tribal nations. They're basically just autonomous regions, which are hardly rare in the world.

If Crimea is in the situation that you all say it is, then regional autonomy seems like the clear solution.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: November 30, 2013, 02:04:30 pm »

If Crimea is in the situation that you all say it is, then regional autonomy seems like the clear solution.
You see, Crimea is an autonomy right now. And Crimean Tatars are second-class citizens here, because it is ruled by Russians. The only thing autonomy does: Gives more power to Russia

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: November 30, 2013, 02:06:54 pm »

And how exactly are they second-class citizens?
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1393