Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743840 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1995 on: October 26, 2013, 11:36:21 am »

All this merely reinforces the original point, that most economical migrants would be better of if they stayed where they were.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: October 26, 2013, 11:38:21 am »

Well tell THEM that. That'll solve the information problem, now you just gotta get them rational. :I

Good luck with that, I don't think anyone can claim to be rational in all (or even most) things.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: October 26, 2013, 11:42:32 am »

Pretty sure the EU has several major information bureaus to tell them.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: October 26, 2013, 12:09:27 pm »

The mental image of people desperately flailing banners with "Europe is a shithole! Don't go there!" amuses me.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: October 26, 2013, 12:21:35 pm »

Maybe we should give them an actually reasonable solution, since "don't come to our shithole and stay in your own shithole" doesn't sound like it'll convince anyone of anything.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:59 pm »

All this merely reinforces the original point, that most economical migrants would be better of if they stayed where they were.
Their priorities are different - while migrating might seem like a bad idea to you, it is still a good one to them (for different reasons).

Except for those who end up in Greece. That's a seriously bad place to be right now if you're an illegal immigrant.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2001 on: October 26, 2013, 12:42:21 pm »

Maybe we should give them an actually reasonable solution, since "don't come to our shithole and stay in your own shithole" doesn't sound like it'll convince anyone of anything.
Why isn't the whole 'our shithole isn't worth it' reasonable?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: October 26, 2013, 01:21:44 pm »

Because they're still stuck in a shithole.

People aren't rational when they're cornered. Give them a way out and you won't have these problems.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2003 on: October 26, 2013, 01:31:55 pm »

"Our shithole is worse than yours. Stay where you are or we'll shoot."
That works for Greece.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: October 26, 2013, 01:36:04 pm »

Because when you finish your statement about how terrible things are, then go back to your 1000 sq ft house to eat your food not scavenged from a garbage pile, your statement rings as hollow as their stomachs.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: October 26, 2013, 02:09:43 pm »

Except, for most of them I don't believe they'd be happier back home. If they were, you'd see lines of immigrants outside police station asking for a ticket home. You don't.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2006 on: October 26, 2013, 03:41:05 pm »

Because when you finish your statement about how terrible things are, then go back to your 1000 sq ft house to eat your food not scavenged from a garbage pile, your statement rings as hollow as their stomachs.
And that's just the thing; you'd be lucky to get a 1 bedroom apartment at under £180,000 in the areas where the jobs are, and that's if you have the skill set for any decent jobs. That's on top of competing with other skilled migrants and students, if you are moving to another country, learning another language just for some frozen fillets from Iceland you'd be much better off investing in goats and crops back home. The people living in their 1000sq ft houses have their slices of cake, but they aren't nearly enough the majority - there are already native homeless folks without adding to the situation.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: October 26, 2013, 03:44:22 pm »

On a side note, the anti immigration campaign tries to eliminate a bit of the hypocrisy by focusing on the unreliability of the people smuggling, the debts involved in that, and such.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: October 31, 2013, 12:35:27 am »

Again?
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 1393