Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743010 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #1516 on: September 02, 2013, 08:43:45 am »

The joys of the Daily Record. We've done a lot worse than just export licenses to sell component chemicals, in any case. That won't go down well at all though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 02, 2013, 08:50:13 am »

To be honest, both KF and NaF got other use, and when I think of them "Sarin" ain't the first thing that pop to my mind.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 02, 2013, 09:06:26 am »

Aren't those things used for industrial fertilizer?

Edit. The KF is the one for fertilizer. Can't remember what NaF is for, I think its toothpaste.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:11:23 am by majikero »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 02, 2013, 09:55:34 am »

Yup, toothpaste. Sensationalism is fun.

Besides, it's not like Syria needed more Nerve gas, they got more than enough.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 02, 2013, 03:52:44 pm »

British companies were selling actual weapons to Assad as little as 18 months ago, that's probably the bigger story really.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 02, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »

My political cap isn't on as much at the moment because I've been caught up in a few games and the independence debate is going through a bad patch (lots of mud slinging), but I've noticed there's a lot of tosh in the papers today from a number of Tory bigwigs like Malcolm Rifkind and Boris Johnson about having another vote in the House of Commons on Syria. The justification they're giving is that there's "a lot more information" coming through about the crisis and we should think again. That seems to be a horrific misjudgement on public opinion which is firmly against any kind of intervention, for any reason ever.

The reason why I've brought this up in this thread is that it just shows how terribly out of touch a lot of influential Tories are. Even David Cameron has had to make it clear that they simply cannot contemplate another vote, Parliament has spoken.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 02, 2013, 04:53:22 pm »

Ed Miliband was actually opposing the vote on the grounds that it was premature - IE, before the UN had released their report on the chemical weapons attack.  If the report says "Yes, Assad is definitely using chemical weapons on his own people" (and it's pretty likely to) then Labour would probably vote in favour of intervention.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 02, 2013, 08:19:24 pm »

Ed Miliband was actually opposing the vote on the grounds that it was premature - IE, before the UN had released their report on the chemical weapons attack.  If the report says "Yes, Assad is definitely using chemical weapons on his own people" (and it's pretty likely to) then Labour would probably vote in favour of intervention.

Of course, but his motion was voted down along with the motion to intervene regardless. Both motions are completely off the table.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 03, 2013, 01:45:55 am »

Besides, the UN isn't going to convict Assad. The only thing they're determining is whether or not gas was used, and which gas. They're not looking for whom did it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 03, 2013, 04:58:04 am »

To be honest, the motion was not defeated because of anti-war feeling, but because Labour wanted his amendment in, and the government, whil agreeing on the substance, refused and instead edited the motion. Moreover what Parliament did, Parliament can undo.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 03, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »

This market makes me sad.

Does anyone see a single name they would want handling our foreign policy?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 03, 2013, 01:47:54 pm »

It's like you've shown me an image of my own hitlist.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 07, 2013, 10:01:15 am »

My political cap isn't on as much at the moment because I've been caught up in a few games and the independence debate is going through a bad patch (lots of mud slinging), but I've noticed there's a lot of tosh in the papers today from a number of Tory bigwigs like Malcolm Rifkind and Boris Johnson about having another vote in the House of Commons on Syria. The justification they're giving is that there's "a lot more information" coming through about the crisis and we should think again. That seems to be a horrific misjudgement on public opinion which is firmly against any kind of intervention, for any reason ever.

The reason why I've brought this up in this thread is that it just shows how terribly out of touch a lot of influential Tories are. Even David Cameron has had to make it clear that they simply cannot contemplate another vote, Parliament has spoken.

Has there been much discussion in those papers about our other options? Articles like this are around, but far from prevalent.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:32:33 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 07, 2013, 01:20:15 pm »

Does anyone see a single name they would want handling our foreign policy?
I have no idea who any of those people are, but as someone outside your borders, let me just that -- at the least -- Khan or Djanogly would make for potentially amusing headlines.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 1393