Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746559 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2175 on: November 26, 2013, 09:32:26 pm »

There actually is a relatively active African Union, but they tend to focus on protecting democracy with military might then their economic power (they were the ones who cleared out Somalia of militants recently, and they tend to act as impartial parties in talks with rebels). Morocco interestingly is the only fully African country that isn't a member. A few nations have been suspended following certain anti-democratic events, most notably Egypt after the coup.

They aren't well-known because frankly people don't spend a lot of time caring about Africa.
Damn. Ukrainian protests are mostly dead, now. What remained is a farce. That idiots really believe that something  can be changed with songs and dances.
Oh damn. Well I wasn't expecting much anyway, but it was nice to see a public display of anger.
Well, if Turkey got in with only a little bit of land in Europe, the US should totally join the EU. We own land in Europe, too, damnit. Then we'll own NATO, the UN and the EU. It'll be wonderful.
I'd debate that. Although we would have some justification for joining something in South America and Oceania.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: November 27, 2013, 06:38:43 am »

Damn. Ukrainian protests are mostly dead, now. What remained is a farce. That idiots really believe that something  can be changed with songs and dances.
Oh damn. Well I wasn't expecting much anyway, but it was nice to see a public display of anger.
It started like " They failed to get EU association, that the last straw in their long list of failures. They must go away, if not voluntary then we'll force them "

Now it's "We shall gather in one large herd, sing songs and chant slogans to show everyone how much we want in Europe"
Very effective, isn't it? So pathetic
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: November 27, 2013, 07:10:56 am »

I know Morrocco got ties with France, but economically it belongs to the North African region. I'm okay with them joining, I'm just not sure why they would want to.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Yannanth

« Reply #2178 on: November 27, 2013, 03:17:18 pm »

So, what does everyone think of France's hefty new fine on buying sex? [Reddit commentary] Note that this doesn't mean prostitutes are banned (you won't be arrested for being a prostitute), it just means the buyer in the transaction is treated as criminal.

Obviously France has a long history of secularism so this is surprsingly not founded on religious grounds, but on women's rights grounds.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:23:51 pm by Yannanth »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: November 27, 2013, 03:22:20 pm »

I understand it was based on some kind of Scandinavian model, Sweden wasn't it? Maybe fellows here could provide us with insight. We have had a few discussions about it in Scotland but we're quite happy sticking to our reasonably liberal prostitution laws. It's odd to imagine living in a country where it's illegal to pay for sex, like in the USA.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: November 27, 2013, 03:23:23 pm »

Well, that's good news, IMO. I am all for decriminalizing prostitution but if one to be punished that's men

If you want to kill some industry, attack demand, not supply because as long as demand exist there are will be supply.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Yannanth

« Reply #2181 on: November 27, 2013, 03:25:15 pm »

Well, that's good news, IMO. I am all for decriminalizing prostitution but if one to be punished that's men

If you want to kill some industry, attack demand, not supply because as long as demand exist there are will be supply.
Umm... these are conflicting statements, considering this more or less makes prostitution underground.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: November 27, 2013, 03:26:48 pm »

Though male prostitutes are actually quite common.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: November 27, 2013, 03:27:28 pm »

Criminalize pimping, put prostitution into regulated and sanctioned brothels, and regulate STD check-ups and condom use as basic safety equipment, and let's get -past- this damn issue.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: November 27, 2013, 03:33:23 pm »

Criminalize pimping, put prostitution into regulated and sanctioned brothels, and regulate STD check-ups and condom use as basic safety equipment, and let's get -past- this damn issue.

This. I agree completely. We're nearly there in Scotland but we don't have regulated and sanctioned brothels, we've unfortunately got a blanket ban. Also no STD check-ups and condom use regulation.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: November 27, 2013, 03:41:55 pm »

Umm... these are conflicting statements, considering this more or less makes prostitution underground.
Nothing conflicting. I'll reword this. I am all for legal prostitution, but if it is illegal it's a lesser evil to punish the buyer, not the seller

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: November 27, 2013, 03:43:29 pm »

It's odd to imagine living in a country where it's illegal to pay for sex, like in the USA.
Note that prostitution is legal in some counties of Nevada, and was decriminalized in Rhode Island from 1980 to 2009.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: November 27, 2013, 03:47:56 pm »

The legal brothel approach ain't working that well. It's what they're doing in Germany, and it boosted demand a lot while a large proportion of prostitutes were still exploited. Very few of them actually signed up for the benefits they have a right to.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: November 27, 2013, 04:05:14 pm »

I dislike legal brothel approach a lot. Prostitution is a natural freelance profession and should be legalized as such

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: November 27, 2013, 04:41:09 pm »

Don't have much to say other than it should be legalized and regulated. How to regulate it I unfortunately cannot say with much certainty.

Nothing inherently wrong with the profession except that it's very commonly used to exploit the poor and desperate. Mitigating or eliminating that would be great... it's a long shot though, and there's nothing stopping exploitative businessmen moving to a poor nearby country to start up anew (see: southeast asia).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1393