Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Consider this: Gregor and Derick have a duel with same quality weapons (Iron, for example) and in neutral conditions (no terrain, supports and so on). On whom you would bet?

Derick the Swordmaster of Doom
Gregor the Tanky Stab-Sentinel

Pages: 1 ... 1187 1188 [1189] 1190 1191 ... 1249

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums (FEF), OOC Thread: FEF1 has been Finished!  (Read 876268 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums (FEF), OOC Thread: CRITICAL HUE REACHED!!
« Reply #17820 on: April 10, 2014, 08:42:18 pm »

Salvatore doesn't have any ill feelings towards the group, but he does see magic as dangerously unchecked and capable of horrible, horrible evils.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17821 on: April 10, 2014, 08:46:15 pm »

Valor's main beef with Magic is that it is a hugely powerful force that is only accessible to a certain sect of the population. Any idiot can pick up a sword, but most wizards at least have the money to receive training in the arcane arts. Those people then use their abilities to either coerce people, or manipulate them in other ways.

Not to mention physical weapons can't be used to make someone flip out and try to kill their friends. Or paralyze them. Or put them to sleep. Or turn them to stone.

Basically, healing magic is the only area that Valor actually doesn't have a huge problem with.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17822 on: April 10, 2014, 08:47:16 pm »

So tell us more how your descendants created an empire? :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17823 on: April 10, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »

Maybe one of Valor's drunknen rants about the horrors of magic will be repeated in earshot of the future founder of the Troian Empire... But apparently Valor's descendants amount to a fatty merchant captain.  :-\

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17824 on: April 10, 2014, 08:59:36 pm »

alexander only hates enemy mages
but he does hate them enemy mages

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17825 on: April 10, 2014, 08:59:48 pm »

Any idiot can pick up a sword, but most wizards at least have the money to receive training in the arcane arts.

Any idiot can pick up a sword, but to actually use one effectively takes years of practice, study, exercise, and focus. We aren't playing people who don't even know how to swing the damn thing, we're playing people who've trained a portion of their lives learning how to properly use their weapon effectively against similarly skilled opponents. An idiot with a sword faced with someone who's actually trained with a sword will be trounced so hard it isn't even funny. Knowing how to fight made you a noble, not a peasant. This prevalent idea just really bugs me, sorry.

I agree with the other points though.

If you excuse me I'll be looking for Song of Sword/Riddle of Steel now.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:02:28 pm by Xanmyral »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17826 on: April 10, 2014, 09:05:17 pm »

The difference being that someone can pick up that sword and learn to use it effectively without relying on anyone else. Not to say they could do so effectively, but they could.

Give a novice a book of magic on the other hand, and they'll likely never figure out a simple cantrip without instruction.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17827 on: April 10, 2014, 09:08:26 pm »

Huh. Olison's just distrustful of magic and highly annoyed at the fact it can handily disable person's mind and body with little recourse, annoyed enough to try and train against it (Third PS, yo). Quite alright with strict healers, and to a lesser extent anima users. And with that he ends up ancestor to an Imperial Captain!.. Serving a mad emperor.

Ah well. We all know the real people controlling the scenes are the families of the anti-magic coalition, after all! The 'Captain' part is just a front for Reinhard Eul and Gustav Inara :P

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17828 on: April 10, 2014, 09:15:15 pm »

That more lies in the fluff of the setting than as a general rule. I'm in a game now where 'magic' (not really called magic but that's basically what it is) is so simple that any Joe Schmo can do it. They don't have a good chance of living, but they can give it a shot. Fezz is mostly self taught, for an FEF example, but he did admittedly get a helpful shove in the right direction thanks to being taught theory by his (foster) father.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17829 on: April 10, 2014, 09:19:34 pm »

It's also worth noting that this is Valor's viewpoint rather than 100 percent fact.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17830 on: April 10, 2014, 09:21:20 pm »

Considering what happens between FEF1 and FEF2, I'm pretty sure Valor has his facts straight :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17831 on: April 10, 2014, 09:26:41 pm »

@BMM: Point, and... Yeah, kinda forgot that. Sorry, my bad. I'm not an easy person to bug, but this is one of the few things that does so easily.

@Taricus: I never argued that some of the magic in FEF wasn't horribly evil and/or awful. :v

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17832 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »

But that class whatever apocalypse probably wouldn't have happened without the dragonstones. Without them, it's unlikely that Valor's views would be so thoroughly vindicated.

And sorry Xan, didn't mean to push your buttons.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17833 on: April 10, 2014, 09:32:52 pm »

Nah, I was outta line there. I should be the one to say sorry really, its silly to get worked up over something imaginary, on the internet much less. I don't think at times.

EDIT: I should probably try to run Song of Swords on these forums though, eventually. Might be fun to show people proper table top melee. Hard to do a campaign though, so maybe a tourney of some kind...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:37:13 pm by Xanmyral »
Pages: 1 ... 1187 1188 [1189] 1190 1191 ... 1249