Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820691 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party
« Reply #9375 on: November 05, 2014, 12:33:16 am »

Powder Miner has hit the nail on the head for why this election result annoys me (and I am not sitting in the middle. I have TRANSCENDED IT. I'm in the third dimension, skipping the second axis entirely to go to the third. It is beyond mere comprehension; my middle appearance is merely like the passing of a 3d object through a 1d line. (Who do I sound like now?)). This election result does not enable republican policies. It doesn't really enable anything. It's just differently flavored gridlock. They captured the senate guys. Not the "Tyranny by majority" House, The "60 votes or bust" Senate. They have budgets, they have investigative committees, but this is not give the the ability to *do* anything. They'll struggle to even send veto-bait to Obama's desk. Voters simply voted against most powerful person they had to blame (Obama), and thus even though the GOP is constantly rated lower the the democrats in favorability, (Obama's approval rating are low. They are still a full 30% higher then Congress, and 20% higher the the republican's in general) they still win out because of pure geography

Honestly this is probably good for democrats in 2016, which is an infinitely friendlier map than this one (2010 Tea Party wave goes home to angry blue states, along with a presidential election, which traditionally dramatically increases democratic turnout. It's basically the exact opposite of this map). With republicans in control it's now Obama vs. Congress, and Congress is still hated so much more then anything Obama could do. It's not out of partisanship I'm not happy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: November 05, 2014, 12:33:36 am »

Or the dems go hypocrite & start abusing the filibuster like the pubs did.
I don't really view that as "hypocritical."

Just like I wouldn't view it as hypocritical if I said "You better not punch me in the face, asshole!" and then you punch me in the face, and I proceed to punch YOU in the face afterward.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: November 05, 2014, 12:37:02 am »

Who is this Amash fellow and why should I froth about him?

Republican congressman from Michigan, posts all his votes and the reasoning behind them online. Generally libertarian policies, fairly principled. I was referring more to frothing about the results in general as opposed to Amash since Amash generally wouldn't be considered to be too bad by someone like Glenn Greenwald.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9378 on: November 05, 2014, 01:08:20 am »

Ah ok.

@GavJ
Hm. No, more like if you had a really big shoe, right? And you used the shoe to kick me in the balls. I woefully decry the use of the shoe for testicular abuse, but then my foot is jammed into the shoe & I immediately begin the nutshots.
bingo hypocrisy!

bonus hypocrisy:
You take the opportunity to bemoan my use of the shoe for ball-punting and point out my own protestations from not so long ago.

bonus bonus:
I tell you to take your own advice- verbatim 'quit whining & take it like a man. *kick*'

The bonuses go on ad nauseum.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:19:46 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: November 05, 2014, 01:15:28 am »

Or the dems go hypocrite & start abusing the filibuster like the pubs did.
I don't really view that as "hypocritical."

Just like I wouldn't view it as hypocritical if I said "You better not punch me in the face, asshole!" and then you punch me in the face, and I proceed to punch YOU in the face afterward.

Nice summary of modern politics.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: November 05, 2014, 01:16:03 am »

Seems like everyone here is uniformly democrat.

Typical.

The Democrats are losers. But the Republicans are evil psychopaths. It's Bozo the Clown vs Satan Incarnate, and people pick Bozo as the lesser evil. The clear rejection of science and logic is my sticking point with the Republicans.

That's the equation behind "everyone here is a Democrat". Basically very few people are a died-in-the-wool Democrat "believer" in the sense that Republicans are typically zealots about their party. FOX News watching type Republicans blindly follow ANYTHING said on that channel as gospel. It's not a mirror image - you really don't see the same parallels with MSNBC for example. People tend to try and analyse the other side as a mirror image to how party loyalty works on their end, but FOX viewers really don't have a Democrat equivalent.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:21:31 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: November 05, 2014, 02:19:24 am »

I just sit on the sidelines and cry while my right to vote is taken away from me for another year.
If it's any consolation, at least now you can say everything going on isn't your fault.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: November 05, 2014, 06:07:44 am »

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: November 05, 2014, 07:03:38 am »

That's... uh... definitely a .gif.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: November 05, 2014, 08:38:40 am »

That's disturbing.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: November 05, 2014, 08:41:43 am »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: November 05, 2014, 09:02:21 am »

Somehow Maryland my Maryland has managed to pick the empty suit Republican over the empty suit Democrat.  I never even followed the race because I thought it wasn't worth watching.  Apparently neither did anybody else.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: November 05, 2014, 09:28:29 am »

Also, Oregon, Alaska, and DC have gone full 420, while Guam has gone 210.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: November 05, 2014, 09:32:50 am »

Also, Oregon, Alaska, and DC have gone full 420, while Guam has gone 210.

It'll be even more interesting to see what happens in 2016- the demographics of midterms are not quite as friendly to pot legalization.

(For Alaska, this isn't so much a development as a reversion...my mother grew up there, and when she was in high school in the 70s it was perfectly legal to grow some in your basement for personal use [this being Alaska, it won't grow outside]. The state has a strong libertarian streak that's much more honest than, say, the Southern GOP.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: November 05, 2014, 09:33:47 am »

Yeah, florida was off from 210 by about 2.5%. Kinda' disappointed, it would probably have helped the legal system down here a bit. Not as much as full 420, but eh. Irritating thing is a majority was for it basically everywhere. Just... not enough of one. Meh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 667