Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821868 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8040 on: August 14, 2014, 04:41:56 pm »

The Ferguson results on twitter are astonishing.

https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench/status/500021221392936961/photo/1

Remind me not to try to calm crowds down. Oh good, she's even a pastor. The entire police force leadership need to be put in holding prison until their trials for abusing their power. This police force is a direct threat to the safety of the city. They're so haphazard I feel like they're going to start killing people if they get more desperate.

And I'm usually lenient with ridiculously stupid forces. This is excessive in every meaning of the word.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:45:45 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8041 on: August 14, 2014, 05:00:07 pm »

I'd say excessive is an understatement.
I mean, seriously? It's a protest and they gear up as if a revolution's taking place.
I always joked that the difference between an American police state and a British one would be that the British would kill you with a microscopic drone and the Americans would roll a terminator on a tank chassis into your living room.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: August 14, 2014, 05:01:19 pm »

Military vets condemning the police display. Essentially, calling it "militarization" is being too nice; the police have almost no real military training and they're far too over-equipped with the wrong tools for the job. It's more like a play-acting scenario gone terribly out of control.

Also: Anonymous did, in fact, accuse the wrong man of being Michael Brown's murderer. Can't say I'm too surprised.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:12:20 pm by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8043 on: August 14, 2014, 05:22:15 pm »

Anonymous is not a thing that can be blamed, no more than you can blame the colour red for fascism.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: August 14, 2014, 05:36:07 pm »

Aye, as my post earlier said, Anonymous is a label, not an organization. Anyone with 2 bits to rub together can call themselves "Anonymous."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: August 14, 2014, 05:37:38 pm »

Which of course makes the statement that "Anonymous did, in fact, accuse the wrong man of being Michael Brown's murderer." Perfectly accurate.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: August 14, 2014, 05:40:38 pm »

Anonymous is not a thing that can be blamed, no more than you can blame the colour red for fascism.
Anonymous is a group of people, who do things, that they can be blamed for... so of course it can be blamed.
I'm not sure by what twisted logic you are comparing it to a physical constant of 400nm wavelength.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: August 14, 2014, 05:42:30 pm »

Not to be overly antagonistic, but the primary line of Anonymous rhetoric is that everyone's wrong about what it is, and LW seems to subscribe pretty heavily to it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8048 on: August 14, 2014, 05:44:26 pm »

Not to be overly antagonistic, but the primary line of Anonymous rhetoric is that everyone's wrong about what it is, and LW seems to subscribe pretty heavily to it.
Because it's right :P
Anonymous is a concept that's been turned into a group even less well defined than terrorists.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: August 14, 2014, 05:46:00 pm »

Just that individual people are culpable, but Anonymous as a whole can't really be blamed for the actions of people who call themselves Anonymous, because there *is* no whole. There's no internal policing because there is no internals. There's no accountability. You can't blame an anon for the actions of another anon, any more than I can blame a Christian for, say, the WBC, or the Crusades.

Other anons might have known it was wrong, but they wouldn't have been able to stop it being released any more than they could stop the sun shining.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: August 14, 2014, 05:46:16 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/15/us/ferguson-missouri-police-shooting.html?_r=0

Governor has had Missouri State Police step in to relieve the St. Louis County police of its security responsibilities in Ferguson.

About fucking time.

I hope the State Patrol operates the same way it dose here. They're appointed directly by the governor, usually on merit.

That still may or may not change anything, 'cause it's Missouri after all. But at least someone else is calling the shots over there now, ostensibly.

This is really the end result of the massive overfunding of law enforcement post-9/11 in the Bush years. Not only did police become more paranoid and willing to use deadly force, they had millions of dollars of new toys to play with too. While I doubt this will have any real impact on the militarization of police in this country, I'm honestly glad it's on display. The rioters are responsible for their actions, but the outright suppression of the public and the media is what really chills my blood here. So the more everyone gets a good look at what a police state looks like, the more they'll have to think about their role in supporting it or not.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:52:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8051 on: August 14, 2014, 05:56:16 pm »

Probably more accurate to say this is the end of massive overfunding of law enforcement post-Snowden, the spotlights are on and the Americans are unlikely to forget. First milestone.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: August 14, 2014, 05:58:03 pm »

Anonymous as a whole can't really be blamed for the actions of people who call themselves Anonymous, because there *is* no whole.
The whole is obviously the sum of the parts. If a group has done overall bad things (I don't know if anonymous does overall do bad things, just for sake of argument), and then you voluntarily identify yourself later as part of that group, you are endorsing/condoning their actions in the proportions that they occurred. You take on the overall reputation by joining them.

If I called myself a Nazi, would you just be like "Oh cool, no problem with that, mate. Because there is no overarching organization anymore, and so you can't be associated or blamed with the historical group." Lol, no. Of course people would look down on me and rightly so.

Acting like this is some sort of magical entity that doesn't work like every other group label in the world is silly.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: August 14, 2014, 06:01:28 pm »

Pointless Godwin is pointless. The action of a single person (or several) don't count for the entire group, especially if said group's single defining characteristic is anonymity.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8054 on: August 14, 2014, 06:03:59 pm »

Nazies WERE organized.  That's why even modern people who call themselves Nazies, aren't really Nazies in any meaningful sense.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 667