Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821768 times)

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8010 on: August 13, 2014, 06:33:20 pm »

Anonymous is just an untrademarked yet scary sounding name.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: August 13, 2014, 08:12:53 pm »

Anonymous is like calling yourself a Christian or Atheist :v

There's no central leadership to target and get rid of. (And if you say "The Pope", well they'd just elect a new one. Or if you got rid of the entire Catholic structure, the laypeople wouldn't just... stop believing. They'd find a different way to express it, whether turning Protestant or Anglican or autonomous churches that still consider themselves Catholic or what.) It's an ideology, not an organization. And sometimes it's just a convenient label. But you can't really get rid of it. It can't really die, not until everyone with any ability stops believing in it. That is, not until anyone with any modicum of knowledge of computer networks and psychology and information gathering stops using it in any activities outside of the workplace.

And even then, even if the Anonymous idea/name goes away, the activities will still go on, either under a different name or just an undifferentiated mass.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:14:24 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: August 14, 2014, 01:24:01 am »

Situation continues to deteriorate. Two reporters (one HuffPo, one WaPo) were arrested at the McDonalds they were working from and later released without charge or paperwork. St. Louis Alderman (council member) Antonio French has been arrested by the Ferguson PD, for some goddamn reason. Police are using tear gas and rubber bullets on demonstrators, with what appears to be little or no provocation. A state Senator was tear-gassed while participating in a nonviolent protest. No-fly zone is still in effect, and live feeds from the area are being lost as police actively go after people with cameras and recording devices.

There's a Reddit page that's doing a pretty good job of collecting various social media reporting in one spot. It's... fuckin'... shit be fucked. Fuck this shit.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: August 14, 2014, 01:24:36 am »

Certainly new stuff on the Ferguson stuff.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-ferguson-washington-post-reporter-wesley-lowery-gives-account-of-his-arrest/2014/08/13/0fe25c0e-2359-11e4-86ca-6f03cbd15c1a_story.html
Journalists arrested; apparently the ward alderman was as well, who had been covering events: https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench

Tear gas also fired at some reporters about to record: http://www.vox.com/2014/8/13/6001193/al-jazeera-journalists-teargassed-by-security-forces-in-ferguson

Local news there (same ones who taped the above link, got teargassed themselves a bit):
http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/08/13/ferguson-protests-fourth-night-tear-gas/14037883/
More coverage:
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

Edit: aw ninjas; ah well, there is some non-duplicate info there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:27:08 am by alway »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: August 14, 2014, 01:27:06 am »

Oh yeah, I forgot the one about Al-Jazeera journalists being teargassed. That also happened. There's just so much to choose from!
also
his moist amphibian skin

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: August 14, 2014, 01:30:02 am »

Oh yeah, and another thing; they're using LRADs, as you can hear in some of the videos.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: August 14, 2014, 01:36:04 am »

And in the middle of it all, the local Chief of Police apparently wants to become a comedian: https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/499763618146050049/photo/1
also
his moist amphibian skin

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: August 14, 2014, 01:43:10 am »

Jesus fuck. What is it we've come to? overthrow gov't now?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: August 14, 2014, 01:43:50 am »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: August 14, 2014, 02:05:03 am »

I have to admit... I wasn't expecting this...

I expected harsh, overbearing police presence overseeing a temporary return to calm until clumsy handling of legal proceedings re-ignited collective anger.

I didn't expect the police to keep the fires burning pretty much all by themselves.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: August 14, 2014, 02:16:09 am »

They sure as hell overestimated their ability to enforce a media blackout. Social media creates too many leaks to plug.

I'm not even sure anyone is really in charge of the police down there anymore - according to the story about the two reporters being arrested, when the police chief was informed his first response was "Oh, god". If the local paramilitary is no longer a rational actor, things will get a helluva lot worse before they get better.

...Oh, look. A St. Louis County Police Tactical Operations unit. I'm sure they'll help.

Edit: It looks to be at the site of the protest at the FPD building. There's a peaceful demonstration going on there for the release of Antonio French. Let's see if they can tear-gas it up a notch!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:17:52 am by smirk »
also
his moist amphibian skin

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: August 14, 2014, 02:18:28 am »

So, protestors demand the release of the alderman; seeing reports that riot police just pulled up with APCs.
https://twitter.com/TefPoe/status/499814283644256256
https://twitter.com/yg_brae/status/499817116514910208

Also seeing posts purporting to show aftermath of rubber bullets being used.
And no small amount of claims that twitter/facebook are involved in media blackouts of ferguson hashtags? That one seems dubious to me though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:23:52 am by alway »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: August 14, 2014, 02:28:58 am »

Apparently a "non-peaceful protest" is defined as one that refuses to disperse on being threatened by armed police tactical units. I suppose a "violent protest" would be one that refuses to roll over and play dead upon command.

Edit: This journalist's twitter is an excellent source for the protest outside the FPD. She's braver than most. https://twitter.com/Yamiche
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:34:22 am by smirk »
also
his moist amphibian skin

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: August 14, 2014, 03:59:15 am »

Any cop wearing a molle vest and strike plates is seriously seriously fucked up.

God help us but the warrior cop mentality will be worse in the future.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: August 14, 2014, 05:47:28 am »

Police should be required to wear a suitably effective and small camera, possibly on a hat. It seems useful in that it might prevent a riot. After all they've gotten all those homeland security dollars for 'useful' things like armored personnel carriers for a village with a population of 50 people.

Apparently a "non-peaceful protest" is defined as one that refuses to disperse on being threatened by armed police tactical units.

I guess that makes MLK a non-peaceful protestor in today's day and age. Is this the official stance of police in Ferguson or your own conclusion? If that is ever the official opinion of law enforcement either locally or nationally, how unfortunate for us all that the wrong people were put in positions of sufficient power to make such decisions. Surely looting can be distinguished from protest and the reporters that cover it.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 667