Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820928 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

And for the first year, the penalty is a measly 95$ anyway, so no big deal if you don't do a thing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Not just the individual stuff, Sheb. Also the stuff that hits providers and whatnot. Though yeah, as is fairly usual with this sort of stuff in the states, the penalties and fees probably won't be enough to cause compliance in the beginning. It'll probably take some time before th'gov actually starts using an appropriately sized stick.

... though I'd disagree on that fine being measly. If I didn't have family covering mine, I'd be hunting down subsidies and whatnot to avoid that penalty. Need to be anyway 'cause what I do have is kinda' shitty. 95$ USD is a month worth of food or gas -- more than, really. S'pretty significant for someone in my general situation.

Probably pretty minor for the general sort of folk that'd be tanking it, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile

The weird thing is that I thought that subsidies and so on would bring the costs for the poor down to nearly nothing, yet even with the subsidies for the lowest brackets (400% below the poverty rate I think?) they're a bit high for people living from check to check, I think around $20 a month or so. It varies from one state to the next, so it's hard to really get the costs pegged compared to before the ACA.

But hey, on the "bright" side, unless the American electorate overturns about 100 years of tradition, if the ACA continues to be a mess and goes nowhere then the prevailing opinion will be that it didn't go far enough. If the single payer system that gets created after that doesn't work, then they'll make like the Quebec government and demand more money.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

95$ is 8$ a month, even factoring in subsidies, I bet you can't find a cheaper plan than this.

However, the penalty is set to rise to ~700$ over the next 3 years. So even if you miss the wagon this time, you'd better start looking for a plan.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

they're a bit high for people living from check to check, I think around $20 a month or so.

20 dollars a month is 240 dollars a year.  The lowest bracket is those making 150% of the poverty line... $17,000 a year or $1,400 a month.  Below that you are either covered by the Medicaid expansion (democrats control your state government) or you are exempt from the mandate due to the poverty exemption (social-darwinists control your state legislature).  You saying that $20 a month for healthcare is going to break the bank?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile

they're a bit high for people living from check to check, I think around $20 a month or so.

20 dollars a month is 240 dollars a year.  The lowest bracket is those making 150% of the poverty line... $17,000 a year or $1,400 a month.  Below that you are either covered by the Medicaid expansion (democrats control your state government) or you are exempt from the mandate due to the poverty exemption (social-darwinists control your state legislature).  You saying that $20 a month for healthcare is going to break the bank?

If you're making just enough to pay the bills, $20 a month can be pretty substantial.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

If you're making just enough to pay the bills, $20 a month can be pretty substantial.

Yes but there is this thing called math that let's us be a bit more specific then that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

His point was that if you're doing less than 1400 a month you don't have to pay those 20$. If you're doing 1400 a month and can't afford 20$...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

His point was that if you're doing less than 1400 a month you don't have to pay those 20$. If you're doing 1400 a month and can't afford 20$...
To be fair, I'm breaking even on a fair bit more than that. Student loan payments take a shitpile of income if you actually try to pay them on time.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/sen-paul-says-hes-suing-over-nsa-policies

Discuss.
If he wasn't claiming it's entirely the Obama administration's fault then I might be cheering this.

The Bush administration started it. The Obama administration just continued and expanded it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a lot of things people are blaming the Obama administration for that Bush started. Partisan tribalism always seems to prevail in these things.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Only on the Republican side. We leftists have outgrown these silly superstitions.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

And people think that something that happens during a presidency, even if it's a delayed reaction/leak of something started/caused during the previous administration, is the fault of the sitting president.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Sometimes the opposite can happen too. My parents have said that the economic advances during Clinton's administration were the effects of Reaganomics kicking in from previous presidencies.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 667