Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820940 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Yeah, see, you're never going to convince a creationist of anything, because you're going to assume intellectual bankruptcy instead of a concept of Creation in medias res and/or ignorance of the consequences of relativity.

EDIT: Your opponent did not come into the discussion with the same premises as you (knowledge of and acceptance of experiments in abiogenesis and the theory of relativity). Assume that they're reasonable and their premises are flawed, not that they understand the universe in the same way you do and have just arbitrarily chosen to be wrong to fuck with you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:05:03 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Admittedly I'm tempted to make a Dwarf Fortress comic or something where some dwarves argue over whether the world could really be 1250 years old, considering all the geological evidence and such :P

Assume that they're reasonable and their premises are flawed
But they can't be reasonable! Why? Their premises are flawed. QED.

(joking :P )
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:06:52 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

EDIT: Your opponent did not come into the discussion with the same premises as you (knowledge of and acceptance of experiments in abiogenesis and the theory of relativity). Assume that they're reasonable and their premises are flawed, not that they understand the universe in the same way you do and have just arbitrarily chosen to be wrong to fuck with you.

The irony being that every time I've had an argument with a Creationist, that's exactly what they assumed of me.  I know that kinda proves your point, but it's one thing to say "you have assume they're wrong in their premise, not their reasonableness" and another to have someone actually get in your face and insist bioscientists are only in their field because they believe Satan will reward them for spreading lies.

I shouldn't even be promoting this discussion, I just think there is such a thing as being too trusting.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

The irony being that every time I've had an argument with a Creationist, that's exactly what they assumed of me.  I know that kinda proves your point, but it's one thing to say "you have assume they're wrong in their premise, not their reasonableness" and another to have someone actually get in your face and insist bioscientists are only in their field because they believe Satan will reward them for spreading lies.

I shouldn't even be promoting this discussion, I just think there is such a thing as being too trusting.
Well certainly also participating in bad arguing behavior isn't the solution.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Hear hear. I've had to punch more than one person out because there was no other recourse after such an argument. I do my best to stay calm, but once people lay hands on me, all bets are off.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I had a post clarifying what I was trying to say typed up, but you're right, Aqizzar, we ought to drop it. This is several steps removed from American politics and has proven to be an unproductive conversation even in dedicated threads. Suffice it to say, I agree in general about how difficult it is when you're actually talking to a Creationist trying to convince you of the Way, the Truth, and the Light.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:24:01 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Admittedly I'm tempted to make a Dwarf Fortress comic or something where some dwarves argue over whether the world could really be 1250 years old, considering all the geological evidence and such :P
Wait, people actually run 1,250 worlds? I stop at about 50 years in, as primitive worlds with sparse villages and lots of mythic creatures is the nuts.

Although it does make for interesting conversation. How can the world be 50 years old, when dwarfs in this very embark are older than that?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

I had a post clarifying what I was trying to say typed up, but you're right, Aqizzar, we ought to drop it.

Indeed, I shouldn't even have typed it up.

So anyway, I'm actually out of the loop on American politics at this point, but supposedly Obamacare is now a thing, judging by the bomb shelter my boss built in his office.  Anything I should know about it at this point?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Wait, people actually run 1,250 worlds? I stop at about 50 years in, as primitive worlds with sparse villages and lots of mythic creatures is the nuts.

Although it does make for interesting conversation. How can the world be 50 years old, when dwarfs in this very embark are older than that?
"Why, in my day, all we had was abstractions and vague notions. None of this reality mumbo-jumbo. Kids these days don't know what it's like, not having any concrete objects or conception of space or time or luxuries like that. Spoiled 'em all rotten, it has."

Why yes this is politics related somehow.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I had a post clarifying what I was trying to say typed up, but you're right, Aqizzar, we ought to drop it.

Indeed, I shouldn't even have typed it up.

So anyway, I'm actually out of the loop on American politics at this point, but supposedly Obamacare is now a thing, judging by the bomb shelter my boss built in his office.  Anything I should know about it at this point?
It's been terribly implemented, has a shitty website, and doesn't go far enough to actually provide affordable health care to anyone under the middle class?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Eh, Obamacare is the silliest care. I look forward to the day our comrades can once again rise and give actual public health care back to the workers.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

*raises hand, slowly*
Well, the world naturally is much older than 50 years; it's only recorded history which is that young.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Right, Helgoland is on wood chopping duty. Good luck with the zombie eagles!

If you thought Obamacare was inadequacy, just wait until you see what we have!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Preeetty sure it still has something like 2-3 months before everything really kicks in. Which is to say it's something like february or march that they start fining and laying tax penalties for noncompliance. Ask again come, like, september or something. Maybe next year. Just make sure you've got some sort of health insurance, in order to avoid penalties. Don't think they're particularly picky, as I recall, but there's credits and whatnot for lower income folks, so... yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Don't think they're particularly picky, as I recall, but there's credits and whatnot for lower income folks, so... yeah.

Anything that you can buy meets the mandate.  The standards are upheld on the sellers side, not the buyers side.  But if you don't already have insurance you probably are poor enough to qualify for subsidies.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 667