Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821665 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: Celebrating Four Decades of Malaise
« Reply #4575 on: November 26, 2013, 12:27:25 pm »

I'm fairly certain Obama doesn't actually lack anything that Black Friday would save him money on.

Maybe birth certificates will go on sale.
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: November 26, 2013, 01:00:08 pm »

They should've opened the healthcare website on Black Friday - instant universal signup!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: November 26, 2013, 01:14:36 pm »

They should've opened the healthcare website on Black Friday - instant universal signup!
Actually, there was a wonk the other day pointing out that this is probably the worst time of year to convince people to sign up for health insurance, when it's competing with holiday shopping for disposable income. Little Timmy won't be that thrilled to find an insurance card in his stocking.

They said it would have been better to roll it out in mid-April when everyone has their tax refunds.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: November 26, 2013, 04:28:37 pm »

On another note, what happened when one of Congress' chamber pass a bill and the other never pick it up? Does it expire after a while, or does it stay in limbo forever? I'm just asking, because apparently the house passed a cap-and-trade bill back in 2009.

How cool would it be for the Senate to pass it? Can you imagine the rage? The sweet, sweet, energy-efficient rage?  :P
To answer your question, if they never pick it up, it's considered to have "Died in committee" (or something like that)

And a bill needs to be voted on in the same 2-year congressional term. Otherwise, it needs to be re-introduced.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: November 26, 2013, 07:50:37 pm »

They said it would have been better to roll it out in mid-April when everyone has their tax refunds.

In my experience, people either use that time to catch up on back bills or, if they don't have any back bills, treat the refund as a windfall and splurge on luxuries. Not the time to try selling something as boring and back-burner as health insurance tends to be considered.  Mid-july is probably the best. School's close enough to push the "germ factory" and "sports accident" buttons, while far enough off that most haven't started back to school shopping yet.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: December 01, 2013, 03:05:02 pm »

The healthcare.gov wobsite is functional. There's still work to be done, but the apocalypse the Republicans have been gleefully predicting probably won't come to pass.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: December 02, 2013, 02:21:51 pm »

Rush Limbaugh calls the Pope a Marxist.

Because he blasphemed against a higher God than Jehovah: Capitalism.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4582 on: December 02, 2013, 06:32:25 pm »

I find it astonishing how cool this pope is.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: December 02, 2013, 07:06:04 pm »

As far as Popes go, this one certainly is full of win and vinegar. I wonder how somebody with some degree of sanity and compassion managed to climb the Vatican ladder...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: December 02, 2013, 07:10:22 pm »

He's all talk. I'll jump on the Francis bandwagon when, and only when, he makes some actual positive changes to the Catholic Church. I will remind you all that this is still a guy who considers homosexuality a "derangement".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: December 02, 2013, 07:14:20 pm »

Does he? Well fuck... You know what, as far as popes go I'm still on the bandwagon. We have had worse, a lot worse. So far in this long line of religious nutcases, he seems to be the spiffiest.

Theoretically if we continue along the current trajectory, we may very well see a gay atheist female pope within our life time.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #4586 on: December 02, 2013, 07:17:44 pm »

He's all talk. I'll jump on the Francis bandwagon when, and only when, he makes some actual positive changes to the Catholic Church. I will remind you all that this is still a guy who considers homosexuality a "derangement".

Pretty sure when he talked about homosexuality he declared that homosexuality itself, as in an attraction to the same sex, is not a sin, but the committing of homosexual sexual acts is where the Church draws the line. Not sure how that's the same as calling it a "derangement".
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: December 02, 2013, 07:20:46 pm »

Pretty sure when he talked about homosexuality he declared that homosexuality itself, as in an attraction to the same sex, is not a sin, but the committing of homosexual sexual acts is where the Church draws the line. Not sure how that's the same as calling it a "derangement".
I am not impressed by the watered-down "it's not your fault" bigotry of the Catholic Church just because it is not the full-blown psycho bigotry of some other Christian groups.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: December 02, 2013, 07:24:58 pm »

...we may see a atheist pope...
I don't see that one happening, for some strange reason. Possibly the reason the King/Queen of England must be a Protestant. Or why the President need be a American citizen.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: December 02, 2013, 07:57:34 pm »

Eh, we've probably already had a number of atheist popes, they just weren't public about it. Kept it on the down low, et al. Lot of those critters were more power players than pious, from what I recall.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 667