Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821795 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: Celebrating Four Decades of Malaise
« Reply #4485 on: November 21, 2013, 04:40:48 pm »

Yes a lot of this is handled by staffers but Senators need to personally do a fair amount of work if they want shit to get done.  Despite the republican obstructionism, the democrats usually have better things to do then waste a week of everyone's time giving the republicans free publicity.

...Really? Because it seems like the Senate minority is in support of the filibuster so long as they're the minority, regardless of political party.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: November 21, 2013, 04:56:45 pm »

...Really? Because it seems like the Senate minority is in support of the filibuster so long as they're the minority, regardless of political party.

This is massively out of context.  The democrats made fillibusters against judges they considered particularly unnacceptable, they never fillibustered everyone or fillibustered in retaliation.  The democrats allowed a quick fillibuster when they were going to lose.  The republicans not only fillibuster the vote, they also fillibuster the motion to start debate and end debate, each requiring a 24 hour review.

The democrats never automatically filibustered all budgets of the opposition then bitch and moan that the opposition didn't pass the budget they filibustered!

One side is acting is massively, massively bad faith here.  If you draw equivilence between the two, you are ignoring huge differences.  The democrats used the filibuster in it's traditional role.  What the republicans did is not traditional.  Social security, medicaid, the civil rights act of 1964, the two major Reagan budgets, the 1994 budget reconciliation act are all examples of legislation that would not have passed if everyone behaved the ways republicans did.  Basically, our government would not function.

Yes both sides filibuster but there is a world of difference between the two.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: November 21, 2013, 04:58:56 pm »

Iirc the majority of filibusters ever have happened during the last 5 years i.e. the Obama administration, and I think the majority if not all of them were by the reps. Pretty sure that's relevant, if not how it is.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:04:10 pm by Darvi »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: November 21, 2013, 05:17:18 pm »

20 nominees were filibustered in the 30 years before the Obama Administration. 30 of his nominees have been filibustered in the five years of his administration. That's just not cricket.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: November 21, 2013, 05:27:35 pm »

20 nominees were filibustered in the 30 years before the Obama Administration. 30 of his nominees have been filibustered in the five years of his administration. That's just not cricket.

If anything this massively understates things though, because the republicans fillibustered so many, many candidates never even got nominated.  The vetting process has become impossibly long and the Senate doesn't nominate people to major positions unless they're willing to sacrifice three days of Senate time.  It should not take three days of Senate time to nominate someone.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: November 22, 2013, 12:40:00 am »

I was picking around for something completely unrelated (no, really, honest!), and found an interesting article which I feel is related to overarching discussion.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: November 22, 2013, 12:34:43 pm »

I was picking around for something completely unrelated (no, really, honest!), and found an interesting article which I feel is related to overarching discussion.
Meh. A Tea Partier is Godwinning the President? I believe that's more or less a daily occurrence.

For that matter, Sarah Palin recently equated the ACA with slavery. And then when prompted by an interviewer that "You mean that as a metaphor, obviously", stated that no, she meant it was pretty much slavery. Having to buy health insurance is EXACTLY LIKE being shackled in iron chains, crammed into the hold of a leaking wooden boat, and transported 4000 miles away to do forced labor. Duh.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: November 22, 2013, 12:39:09 pm »

Meh. A Tea Partier is Godwinning the President? I believe that's more or less a daily occurrence.

For that matter, Sarah Palin recently equated the ACA with slavery. And then when prompted by an interviewer that "You mean that as a metaphor, obviously", stated that no, she meant it was pretty much slavery. Having to buy health insurance is EXACTLY LIKE being shackled in iron chains, crammed into the hold of a leaking wooden boat, and transported 4000 miles away to do forced labor. Duh.

Funny part is the apologists on Fox explaining what she meant for her.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: November 22, 2013, 01:07:04 pm »

Meanwhile, the guy on CNN or MSNBC or wherever she was supposed to do an interview got excoriated for saying she was a friggin' moron for equating it to slavery and deserved some of the treatment real slaves got. Cue right-wing outrage and cries of misogyny.  ::)

Is it too late to sell Alaska back to Russia?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: November 22, 2013, 01:17:16 pm »

Meanwhile, the guy on CNN or MSNBC or wherever she was supposed to do an interview got excoriated for saying she was a friggin' moron for equating it to slavery and deserved some of the treatment real slaves got. Cue right-wing outrage and cries of misogyny.  ::)

it is never too late to give in to the trifecta of communist communism, islamic communism and corporate communism

i doubt the russians would let you sell the citizens with the land though

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: November 22, 2013, 01:22:23 pm »

it is never too late to give in to the trifecta of communist communism, islamic communism and corporate communism

i doubt the russians would let you sell the citizens with the land though
"Nyet, we are only wanting moose and oil. Not crazy sobaka."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: November 22, 2013, 01:26:32 pm »

RK, that's an insult to dogs.  /:-|

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: November 22, 2013, 01:36:22 pm »

Now, now, not everyone in Alaska is like her. She has plenty of critics there, too.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: November 22, 2013, 01:40:09 pm »

Now, now, not everyone in Alaska is like her. She has plenty of critics there, too.

people in a region not being exactly the same as a prominent person from said region? now that's unpossible

generalizations are evil things and i have no idea from where you guys got that i were going more along the "shit let's not take in american citizens they're going to shoot us in the face when they see us and that is horrible" route because red scare i mean the communist trifecta should be a hint here

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: November 22, 2013, 02:39:13 pm »

That's not true, while Susan, Maria and Todd aren't too enthusiastic about her they've never risen to outright criticism of her.  The other twenty three Alaskans are pretty vocal about how much they like her.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 667