Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819329 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: TRES Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3270 on: October 14, 2013, 09:21:48 am »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/07/16/meet-serco-the-private-firm-getting-1-2-billion-to-process-your-obamacare-application/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24289650
And these are the kinds of stories the GOP could've been pointing to right now if they had any sense. Important things that should be looked at, sorta thing. It'll likely get rolled over and forgotten though, or at least have its impact severely reduced while everyone on Capitol Hill elects to continue eating paint chips instead.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: October 14, 2013, 09:40:25 am »

http://behindthewall.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/14/20957509-china-state-media-blasts-us-shutdown-calls-for-a-de-americanized-world?lite

Remember how at the beginning of his term, republicans tried to claim Obama made us lose standing in the world by respecting other countries?

Yeah, no. This shit is how you lose standing in the world.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: October 14, 2013, 10:00:44 am »

Before this, if the debt ceiling is breached, the lion's share of blame falls on the Republicans, and polls have backed that. Now....it's an equal-opportunity disaster.
Agreed (though I would personally be all for the sequester rules being heavily reworked). It's quite possible the dems are moving goalposts in an attempt to make a clean CR bill seem like an acceptable compromise - in effect, pulling left to drag the pubs back to center. I'm not at all sure that's a sound strategy, especially at this late date. That moon is leerin' down 0_o
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:02:56 am by smirk »
also
his moist amphibian skin

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3273 on: October 14, 2013, 10:39:52 am »

Ok, so it's two guys, both of them holding the same hostage, and both of them screaming at the other that they'll shoot her if their demands aren't met.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:31:19 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: October 14, 2013, 10:43:51 am »

Ok, so it's too guys, both of them holding the same hostage, and both of them screaming at the other that they'll shoot her if their demands aren't met.
Meanwhile, the bomb keeps ticking.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: October 14, 2013, 11:10:32 am »

Before this, if the debt ceiling is breached, the lion's share of blame falls on the Republicans, and polls have backed that. Now....it's an equal-opportunity disaster.
Agreed (though I would personally be all for the sequester rules being heavily reworked). It's quite possible the dems are moving goalposts in an attempt to make a clean CR bill seem like an acceptable compromise - in effect, pulling left to drag the pubs back to center. I'm not at all sure that's a sound strategy, especially at this late date. That moon is leerin' down 0_o

That, or giving the moderate Republicans a "fig leaf" (in other words, insisting on something that they don't even want so that they can give it up when asked) to hide behind if they decided to break the deadlock
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Hey look a solution! Someone grab it before it runs away!
« Reply #3276 on: October 14, 2013, 11:22:57 am »

Ok, so it's too guys, both of them holding the same hostage, and both of them screaming at the other that they'll shoot her if their demands aren't met.
That is one way of putting it, but it's important to recall they are not even remotely one and the same.

First, Polls have always had both parties taking a kick, but the republicans get the kick to the crotch. The GOP is currently losing by a unprecedented 22% margin in a recent poll, and shit like that is not simply ignored by Democrats. They realize they have the upper hand. And frankly, given the most extreme position being removal of a fallen-sword-of-Damocles that sequestration is and essentially putting the government where it was before all these Fiscal cliffs, they are still being far more reasonable.

In News:
  • Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, continues his thinly disguised campaigning for President. He has released a ad criticizing dysfunction is Washington, and that Conservative Governors are leading the way to prosperity. I can only wonder who he means by that.
  • The Republican House ponders how to stay relevant.
  • Veteran GOP reporter says the Republicans are essentially negotiating "terms of surrender".
  • Again, while no one was looking, a legitimate proposal occurred. Harry Reid sent McConnell, head of Senate Republicans, his plan, which extends the debt ceiling for 6-9 months, and funds the government till mid-late December at $986 billion, between the $967 temporary sequestration limits republicans demand, and the previous level of government funding at the level of above 1 trillion (can't get exact numbers) Democrats demand. If McConnell accepts, we have our way out.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:43:45 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3277 on: October 14, 2013, 11:40:08 am »

so anyone want to invest in a thunderdome? its the perfect investment, capable of growing in value post apocalypse more than anything else.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hey look a solution! Someone grab it before it runs away!
« Reply #3278 on: October 14, 2013, 12:11:35 pm »

• Again, while no one was looking, a legitimate proposal occurred. Harry Reid sent McConnell, head of Senate Republicans, his plan, which extends the debt ceiling for 6-9 months, and funds the government till mid-late December at $986 billion, between the $967 temporary sequestration limits republicans demand, and the previous level of government funding at the level of above 1 trillion (can't get exact numbers) Democrats demand. If McConnell accepts, we have our way out.
    Ah, just found it. Linky link.
    also
    his moist amphibian skin

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3279 on: October 14, 2013, 02:51:51 pm »

• Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, continues his thinly disguised campaigning for President. He has released a ad criticizing dysfunction is Washington, and that Conservative Governors are leading the way to prosperity. I can only wonder who he means by that.

Quite clearly he is talking about Bob McDonnell.

Color me very hopeful. That is a plan I can get behind.

Also, considering recent topics of discussion on this thread, you'll never guess what today's XKCD is.
    Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
    Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
    • hoo hoo motherfucker
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3280 on: October 14, 2013, 05:24:04 pm »

For those who think this may have defanged the Tea Partiers....

Exhibit A.

As usual, when they're getting their asses kicked, they just double-down on the crazy.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
    Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
    • Gerrymander Commander
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3281 on: October 14, 2013, 05:26:40 pm »

Well, doubling-down on the crazy does ultimately defang them. While it increases the insane patriotic fervor of their true believers, everybody else is driven away.
    Quote from: Thomas Paine
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
    No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
    • Angle of Death
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3282 on: October 14, 2013, 05:37:01 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/14/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_allpolitics+%28RSS%3A+Politics%29

The White House meeting on the proposed Senate deal appears to be delayed, although it is unclear if this is a good or bad sign. It could signal a dangerous problem, but could also suggest that negotiations are going too well to interrupt at this time.
    On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
    Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
    • Bring on the Chaos
      • View Profile
      • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
    « Reply #3283 on: October 14, 2013, 05:48:06 pm »

Damnit, government, I would likely have a job with the DoD if not for all of your shenanigans, and then I'd be in a very good position for my student loans. Instead, I'm not.

Ugh.
    Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3284 on: October 14, 2013, 05:48:42 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/14/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_allpolitics+%28RSS%3A+Politics%29

The White House meeting on the proposed Senate deal appears to be delayed, although it is unclear if this is a good or bad sign. It could signal a dangerous problem, but could also suggest that negotiations are going too well to interrupt at this time.

According to that page and this link:

it seems that the postponement is just to allow Reid and McConnell more time to work out their deal. There's nothing about this to suggest to me that things are going downhill instead of negotiating taking a while sometimes.

For those who think this may have defanged the Tea Partiers....

I'm pretty sure they have been defanged in the eyes of most of the rest of the country, they're just too crazy to notice the pain of that operation :) .
    Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
    Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.
    Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 667