Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820935 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2640 on: October 03, 2013, 02:51:26 pm »

Need I risk another godwin by suggesting what happened when francis ferdinand got snuffed?

Didn't think so.

The US is a highly polarized political climate. If things come down to violence, it will be brutal and bloody. The night of terror was a bad thing for france. I don't want that here. I'd rather some group of lizards look weak in front of the other than see that here.

*note: I KNOW those two are isolated incidents in history and not really related. They however both share 3 things with the current situation: displeasure with the current leadership, civil unrest from a sense of being powerless, and people reacting with violence instead of decorum.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:57:24 pm by wierd »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2641 on: October 03, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »

Er, didn't Ferdinand's assassination kick off World War One? Godwin's Law involves Nazis and Hitler, who weren't really a thing at that time.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: October 03, 2013, 02:59:12 pm »

The crippled state of germany, and the prohibitions for it developing weapons and other munitions were what springboarded a certain dicator and his certain band of cronies onto the world stage. Without the ferdinand assasination, germany would not have been demolished, hitler would not hae had a platform to sieze power.

History is not entirely a series of isolated incidents.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: October 03, 2013, 03:00:19 pm »

Er, didn't Ferdinand's assassination kick off World War One? Godwin's Law involves Nazis and Hitler, who weren't really a thing at that time.

WWI led to depression in Germany, which aided the rise of the Party. Godwin's Law applies, you just gotta work at it!

edit: ninja'd
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: October 03, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »

Gentlemen like Kaiser Wilhelm also make quite effective substitutes for Hitler when you must circumvent Godwin's Law. The war was also an extremely formative experience for both Hitler and Mussolini.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:04:35 pm by Owlbread »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: October 03, 2013, 03:05:39 pm »

Ladies, Gentlemen, please! Discussing the tangent is how godwin's law is fulfulled.

Let us just observe the parallel, nod at it, and agree that getting all shooty is not the greatest of ideas. M'Kay?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: October 03, 2013, 03:19:05 pm »

According to the AP the shooter is alive and in custody.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/shots-heard-capitol-building-under-lockdown

"Condition not disclosed" I'm taking to mean something like "she's been shot, which is where all the death rumours are from since no-one knows how bad it is". Also, the child might also be injured: "Gainer said the child was taken to a hospital."

This might even delay a budget resolution, if both sides get too involved in mud-flinging over this. I have no expectations for Congress anymore.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:21:47 pm by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: October 03, 2013, 03:25:27 pm »

I just hope it doesn't embolden more people to consider flipping out.

Regardless of the reasons involved, it was a very foolishly unwise and irresponsible thing she did. The situation is dangerous enough.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: October 03, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »

Video of Car chase.

Also Wendy Davis, of Texas Abortion-bill Filibuster fame, is making a announcement within a hour, widely suspected to announce her candidacy to Governor of Texas.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05:24 pm »

Also Wendy Davis, of Texas Abortion-bill Filibuster fame, is making a announcement within a hour, widely suspected to announce her candidacy to Governor of Texas.
Can Dutch people vote for who gets to be the Texan senator? If not, I think we should be allowed to.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: October 03, 2013, 05:09:43 pm »

Only Luxembourgish can.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: October 03, 2013, 05:19:50 pm »

Wendy Davis has declared her Candidacy for Governor of Texas. Godspeed.

Can Dutch people vote for who gets to be the Texan senator? If not, I think we should be allowed to.
Well, you could try, but given this is Texas post strike-down-of-voting-rights-act, and Foreigners voting in the election for Democrats is literally the entire argument about making voting more difficult, you stand a better chance of being elected yourself.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: October 03, 2013, 05:22:04 pm »

Damn right we do.

But alas, I'm not in the country so I don't get to vote.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: October 03, 2013, 05:23:35 pm »

Perhaps Dutchling has charisma. Maybe he could do it. After all, there's an Austrian Terminator governing California right now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: October 03, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »

Only Luxembourgish can.
Don't be silly, Lux-burgers can't vote.
Wendy Davis has declared her Candidacy for Governor of Texas. Godspeed.
If (or more likely, when) Texas flips blue, we'll finally be free of the Republican Party's attempts to destroy America.
Perhaps Dutchling has charisma. Maybe he could do it. After all, there's an Austrian Terminator governing California right now.
No there isn't, the Governor of California is Jerry Brown.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 667