Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820937 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2625 on: October 03, 2013, 01:23:07 pm »

I love America. Even the poor are fat, though being jolly is not mandatory.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2626 on: October 03, 2013, 02:10:31 pm »

Quote from: Mrhappyface link=toppost=122640.msg4658016#msg4658016 date=1380824587
I love America. Even the poor are fat, though being jolly is not mandatory.
I would Rant About that, but I'm on my phone, And there are Pressing issues.

Breaking:Capitol on lockdown, shots fired, Reportedly gunman on loose. 1 possible injury. All I know.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: October 03, 2013, 02:17:42 pm »

Gunman in custody according to ThinkProgress. 

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/10/03/2729361/shots-fired-at-the-capitol-updates/

Still needs confirmation.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: October 03, 2013, 02:24:54 pm »

Getting the same, gunwoman In custody, G
apparently rammed white House checkpoint, then opened fire. Capitol policeman shot.

Edit: suspect reported dead
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:27:36 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2629 on: October 03, 2013, 02:28:44 pm »

Police say that multiple individuals are injured and that the suspected shooter, a female who had a baby in the car, is now dead.

Someone's better yield.
Someone's better yield fast.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: October 03, 2013, 02:33:46 pm »

Police say that multiple individuals are injured and that the suspected shooter, a female who had a baby in the car, is now dead.

Someone's better yield.
Someone's better yield fast.

She wasn't even a shooter it turns out.  Only the cops did the shooting, she may have swiped or nearly hit a cop, who immediately opened fire.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: October 03, 2013, 02:38:37 pm »

That's not what the NBC report said... given the immediacy of the event, inconsistencies are inevitable, however..

The nbc story claims that the woman rammed the gate with her vehicle, then was promptly chased by capitol police. Being pursued, she ditched the car and opened fire, and was then shot by capitol police.

Regardless of who shot first, she did use a motor vehicle to slam past security, and endanger the government representatives with her reckless stunt. Not sure it warranted lethal action, but you can't raise the dead after the fact. That kind of thing is for courts to decide, not public opinion.

However, the fact that at least some people are beginning to snap over the stress of the situation is the real danger here. Those tools need to stop dick waving, and start penning legislation.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: October 03, 2013, 02:42:26 pm »

I've gotta wonder what the point of the last paragraph of the NBC article was. Those seem like pretty unrelated events.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: October 03, 2013, 02:42:47 pm »

That's not what the NBC report said... given the immediacy of the event, inconsistencies are inevitable, however..

The nbc story claims that the woman rammed the gate with her vehicle, then was promptly chased by capitol police. Being pursued, she ditched the car and opened fire, and was then shot by capitol police.

Regardless of who shot first, she did use a motor vehicle to slam past security, and endanger the government representatives with her reckless stunt. Not sure it warranted lethal action, but you can't raise the dead after the fact. That kind of thing is for courts to decide, not public opinion.

However, the fact that at least some people are beginning to snap over the stress of the situation is the real danger here. Those tools need to stop dick waving, and start penning legislation.

...why?

this is the first time in a long while where people are actually starting to care to the point of getting something done. why would you want them to stop now?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: October 03, 2013, 02:44:47 pm »

The point is that we have courtrooms for a reason.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: October 03, 2013, 02:45:20 pm »

...why?

this is the first time in a long while where people are actually starting to care to the point of getting something done. why would you want them to stop now?
Because people getting killed is generally a bad thing?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: October 03, 2013, 02:47:29 pm »

Dare I suggest that assassination by relatively sane people could be a functioning part of a checks-and-balances system? But then, I'm a reactionary cynic.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: October 03, 2013, 02:50:16 pm »

Assassination has a history of leading to extreme reactions, dissolution of democracy, and generally bad things. So no, that would not be part of a functioning checks-and-balances system.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: October 03, 2013, 02:51:16 pm »

I stopped reading the first one when I saw what those congresspeople had to say about it.

Rep. Tim Griffin, a Republican from Arkansas, seemed to blame Democrats for the shooting, tweeting, “Stop the violent rhetoric President Obama, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi. #Disgusting”
On Thursday morning, Griffin tweeted, “Is violent Democrat language resulting in real violence? Dems said “yes” previously. Just saying.” He has since apologized: “The shooting today is a terrible and inexcusable tragedy and an act of terroism. No one but the shooter is to blame. I tweeted out of emotion but agree that the timing was not helpful.”

Fuck those guys.

The NBC report is a bit more helpful, and assuming it's accurate I don't really see how else Capitol police could have responded. I'm just sorry this happened at all, and especially for the kid.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 667