Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821132 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUINDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2505 on: October 01, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »

So I haven't mentioned this, but I've been thinking about it: Being that the CDC is shut down, America is getting no flu vaccines until this is over. And October is usually the beginning of when it hits.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: October 01, 2013, 11:04:10 pm »

So I haven't mentioned this, but I've been thinking about it: Being that the CDC is shut down, America is getting no flu vaccines until this is over. And October is usually the beginning of when it hits.
Suddenly very glad I live in Canada.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:10 pm »

When taken in step with the shut off stimulous, the depressed dow, and the other economic issues, let's throw gasoline on the fire by having pandemic numbers of employees unfit for work for months at a time as the rampant influenze reinfects everyone and mutates wildly.

Merry christmas everyone.

Be sure to do your black Friday shopping next month!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: October 01, 2013, 11:09:26 pm »

You guys have national flu shots? I feel like I'm missing out now, we only give them free to people at significant risk or have a note from the GP...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: October 01, 2013, 11:11:22 pm »

We do. Influenza is very serious, 50,000 deaths per year in the United States. Europe and the Commonwealth not trying to have universal vaccination just baffles me.

They aren't always free (they are at my college, for example, but not at a drug store), but they have a trivial cost.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: October 01, 2013, 11:14:11 pm »

Our country is enormous with many international airports and very dense urban centers.

Every year there is a large drive by the CDC and various healthcare groups to offer voluntary immunization shots for a modest fee for influenza all accross the nation.

This is to reduce the dangers of epidemic influenza outbreaks in our country. The immunization shots are wholly voluntary. However, a significant portion of the population participates to avoid getting the flu each year.  Remember, the US consistently gives substantially less paid vacation and sick leave time than does most western countries. The residents sometimes simply cannot affrd to become ill.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: October 01, 2013, 11:16:03 pm »

We have them pretty cheap for anybody that wants them. About one to four thousand deaths a year, depending on how bad the annual outbreak is. A lot of employers will arrange them for their employees because it is about a bajillion times cheaper than the sick leave, so the free market saves our asses there... Still, would be nice to extend to program a little to more people.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: October 01, 2013, 11:20:11 pm »

There's an idea....

"Okay, Congress. Fix this or we start sending every flu patient in the DC Metro area to come cough on you."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: October 01, 2013, 11:23:16 pm »

Sure, it's not like there is only a completely arbitrary and highly porous border separating you from the US, oh, wait... Well, I suppose there is always the poles.

And as for me, I wish nothing on Congress. They are but arguing people, and there is nothing, this being a Democracy, that I would wish upon people elected fairly by their district. My representative is acting as I would support, so I cannot argue.

You know, it's time's like these, when the legislators are unpopular but person X isn't, that someone decides to do away with the legislators as a group. And people support this, because of the apparent blood hate behind they have for representatives elected by someone else.

Anyway, remember this all depends on how long the Shutdown lasts, and even pessimistic outlooks say it should either be resolved with the debt ceiling, or at least it simply will stop mattering.

There's an idea....

"Okay, Congress. Fix this or we start sending every flu patient in the DC Metro area to come cough on you."
Oh and I believe the Mayor of DC may be arrested. He declared all of the Cities workers essential, illegally, and he faces a fine or jail time. The government may revoke DC's self-rule, which is a fairly new thing and therefore easily removable.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: October 01, 2013, 11:23:17 pm »

I think after a certain amount of Congressmen vomiting nonsense on sanity and the Constitution, any addition is trivial.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: October 01, 2013, 11:25:46 pm »

You guys have national flu shots? I feel like I'm missing out now, we only give them free to people at significant risk or have a note from the GP...

I don't know about you, but there's a sign in my local medical clinic that says there are free flu shots to anyone with a Medicare card (i.e. anyone) while supplies last.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:49 pm »

The CDC and its partners usually spend many months in advance of flu season performing statistical analysis on influenza strains globally, to determine which strain is the most likely to be this year's major contestant in Mother Nature vs Human Affairs. They use that time to identify the most likely candidates, begin cultivating the live virus in suitable growth medium, then processing the live virus into vaccination jabs in time for the flu season.

In this respect, the vaccine should already be "ready", but the CDC and its associates will not have the funding to DISTRIBUTE the jabs.

I have not heard any news on shortages or lost batches in the culturing process, like we did during the H1N1 epidemic year, so I doubt that there is any snafu on their physical construction. Just that they won't be available at pharmacies, clinics, and free public health kiosks across the nation in time for the onset of flu season.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: October 01, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »

Sure, it's not like there is only a completely arbitrary and highly porous border separating you from the US, oh, wait... Well, I suppose there is always the poles.
Universal healthcare which I love.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: October 01, 2013, 11:27:45 pm »

I don't know about you, but there's a sign in my local medical clinic that says there are free flu shots to anyone with a Medicare card (i.e. anyone) while supplies last.
Lucky bastard! I want to be stabbed with needles full of chemicals I don't fully understand...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: October 01, 2013, 11:31:44 pm »

Universal healthcare which I love.
Well then, enjoy getting and recovering from the Flu. I, for one, have medicaid, and will use this and my cities generousness to obtain a shot. I know my mother already had one.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 667