Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821676 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #2130 on: September 21, 2013, 02:52:45 am »

Aren't private prisons completely tax-funded anyway? Where else is the money coming from?
At least some comes from prison labor. One of the reasons I massively fucking hate privatized prisons is that a fair amount of them are making part of their profit off of penal slavery. Give a mo' and I'll see if I can't dig back up one of the articles that was posted to b12 about it.Bleh. No luck, and it's too late/early to keep looking. In the meantime, check the wiki page, especially some of the citations.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:22:43 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: September 21, 2013, 11:17:45 am »

No, I can't say that really is even remotely part of it here. It leans more mental health issue then anything.
And how people with mental health issues are allowed to purchase firearms
Technically, people with known mental health issues aren't generally able to pass the background check. The issue is that many firearms transactions have loopholes avoiding said check, and the poor state of mental health care in this country means that such issues are often misdiagnosed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: September 21, 2013, 02:51:01 pm »

9 days until the US government shuts down. The Senate is wokring hard on re-writing the bill that will fund the government, and Obamacare, for the next 3 months. Assuming no Filibuser (which is highly unlikely) it should take 3 days. With a filibuster, 4 or 5, 6 tops.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: September 21, 2013, 02:58:06 pm »

Again?

Yeez, no point in placing a deadline if you're not going to use it.

But yeah, said it before, in some ways the US's current situation is worse than that of Greece.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: September 21, 2013, 04:11:20 pm »

9 days until the US government shuts down.
What.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: September 21, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »

9 days until the US government shuts down.
What.
For some reason, the US has a debt ceiling. One which has almost been reached. (And will be reached in 9 days).

Now congress needs to raise it, and if they don't , then the government runs out of money. Republicans however, only want to raise it in exchange for cuts. Preferably, the entire Obama Care system.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: September 21, 2013, 04:22:11 pm »

The cynic in me wants the Republicans to have their way. The electorate will turn out in force in 2014 against them if they do.

However, the results would be bad. Probably, very bad. Likely enough to cause a double-dip recession, IIRC.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: September 21, 2013, 06:02:44 pm »

The Senate is gonna send it back to the House, the House will be completely surprised that the Democratic Senate didn't gut their own bill, the Republicans in the House will posture for a while, Obama will talk about how the sky is going to fall, and then they'll pass the budget and life will go on as usual.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: September 21, 2013, 07:00:41 pm »

The Senate is gonna send it back to the House, the House will be completely surprised that the Democratic Senate didn't gut their own bill, the Republicans in the House will posture for a while, Obama will talk about how the sky is going to fall, and then they'll pass the budget and life will go on as usual.
Well yes, this is sorta the best option. 2 problems though. One, they're pretty bad with hard dead-lines. Last time we had this it actually was a couple minutes after. Fortunately, this isn't a "Rock fall, everybody dies" moment, they don't even turn the lights off at midnight, but that leads to: Two: Immediately after this we have a entirely different cliff, the Debt ceiling, and this one manages to have far more dangerous consequences, that is, a total default on US debt. Immediately following the government's shutdown/not-shutdown on Oct 1, we have until around Oct 16th. That's far less time then this one has had to stew, and unlike the previous, if this were to go even a hour beyond our not entirely clear limit, we DO have a problem

Sure it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it'd make the only one we got significantly less pleasant.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: September 22, 2013, 05:47:54 am »

So, how did US politics get this fucked up in the first place?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: September 22, 2013, 06:36:41 am »

The budget plan agreement problem or the debt accumulation problem? The former is /politics while the latter is systemic. From what I can tell anyways.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: September 22, 2013, 11:52:39 am »

You've got two groups in power, each of whose members want to game the system for personal gain while making token efforts to satisfy the demands of the people in order to keep on getting the opportunity to do that. They've both got a vested interest in keeping things running, and in doing what their particular slice of the public says they want done, but that's the limit of their altruism. Recently, however, the Republicans elected a batch of people who're more interested in crashing the system than gaming it, largely out of frustration with the degree to which it's been exploited. This is the most charitable I can be about the whole thing.

EDIT: Before, keeping things running took precedence over bowing to public whims for both parties, because the important thing always was the gravy train. What I mean by "interested in crashing the system" is, you're stuck in a situation where a large part of the Republican votes want to force sweeping changes that they think will fix everything no matter how complex it really is, and the only alternative in their eyes is to break it all if they don't get their way. As far as they're concerned, it's not worth having a government if it's not the one they want. And a lot of those changes will likely break the economy anyway, so there's no good outcome.

It's a stupid response, but it's to a very real problem of corruption. Rejecting compromise is, admittedly, a rejection of one of the major contributions that allowed that problem to exist in the first place, and it's definitely emotionally satisfying, but it's the worst possible way to go if your goal is to actually make things better. It's been a long time since we've had politicians so invested in their principles that they take priority over maintenance of the status quo. It's just that they also take priority over the welfare of their constituents.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:08:02 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: September 22, 2013, 06:37:25 pm »

The budget plan agreement problem or the debt accumulation problem? The former is /politics while the latter is systemic. From what I can tell anyways.
You've got two groups in power, each of whose members want to game the system for personal gain while making token efforts to satisfy the demands of the people in order to keep on getting the opportunity to do that. They've both got a vested interest in keeping things running, and in doing what their particular slice of the public says they want done, but that's the limit of their altruism. Recently, however, the Republicans elected a batch of people who're more interested in crashing the system than gaming it, largely out of frustration with the degree to which it's been exploited. This is the most charitable I can be about the whole thing.
To be honest though, they really only care about Obamacare. They actually passed a bill that kept everything else, even the things they don't like, perfectly intact, it's only Obamacare they hate enough. And as always, I don't like people who hand wave the parties as "nothing more then copies of each other", any more then I like people who think they are complete and total enemies, one of which (pick whichever) that wants to DESTROY AMERICA.

And the debt ceiling itself, is perfectly arbitrary. There is a debt problem, but they plan to force the government to not be able to pay it's debts. Totally arbitrary, it's something that is passed regularly.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: September 22, 2013, 10:17:02 pm »

Hey, don't get me wrong. Their demographics demand very different things, and I identify with one of them more than the other by a significant margin (if that somehow weren't obvious). The parties certainly aren't identical, but their leaders more or less are, at least when it comes to how many shits they give about the people that elected them. Similarly, nobody in political office wants to destroy America, either, because they presumably want to continue holding that office. My claim is that anybody who manages to get elected to a Federal office, with few exceptions, is going to be very good at self-interest, and that's going to produce people with very similar priorities.

The Tea Party is basically a gigantic fluke - for a little while, it was more in your interests to ignore the consequences of your actions in favor of standing up to the status quo, just for the sake of standing up to it. I'll be honest, maybe it still is - that wave of elections granted a disturbing level of legitimacy to the strategy. Either way, just about the one thing worse to give power over government than the Mafia is the Inquisition. Only one of those mobs will consider negotiation.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: September 25, 2013, 03:15:30 pm »

We all know the GOP's being pushed as far right as it can go by various think-tanks and interests...but who are they? The Atlantic takes a look at the rise and bizarre fall of the Heritage Foundation, who now more than ever are the face of the GOP's inability to get its act together.

Meanwhile, Ted Cruz goes insane again and pisses off his own party in a 21-hour filibuster in which he treats Washington to a dramatic reading of Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:20:55 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 667