Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 818842 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1935 on: September 07, 2013, 02:09:33 pm »

So, err, the Silent Majority? I think people will vote for it on the basis that he's the president and we should do what he says.

I'm not sure you understand what the Silent Majority is/means if you're putting those two sentences next to each other.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: September 07, 2013, 03:12:35 pm »

I think people will vote for it on the basis that he's the president and we should do what he says.
* MetalSlimeHunt collapses in a hysterical laughing fit.
Oh

Ohhh my

No, not quite.

Not quite.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: September 07, 2013, 03:45:55 pm »

I demand a better explanation then. Because the current mind set is "Eh, well, err, okay".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: September 08, 2013, 08:29:23 am »

I'm not sure whether it fits beter in the "Egypt" thread or here. But since the discussion about Syria dominates...

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/09/your-labor-day-syria-reader-part-2-william-polk/279255/

Anyone still supporting an intervention over the recent gas attacks should read it.

It's a calm and level-headed look at the event and the US government's response, written by this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_R._Polk
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:31:37 am by Il Palazzo »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: September 09, 2013, 12:18:19 am »

A heavily armed SWAT team in Arkansas is unable to restrain a 107 year old man with a gun, instead they resort to killing him.

When they pumped gas into the room after failing to negotiate with him, Monroe Isadore began firing at the officers. They shot him.

Here is an image of the gentleman.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:21:59 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: September 09, 2013, 12:37:34 am »

Yeah, that's cops for you. Shoot first, perjure later.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: September 09, 2013, 12:47:45 am »

Well, in fairness, he shot first.

But still. Centennarian. Not exactly Rambo, innit.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: September 09, 2013, 02:16:10 am »

Centenarian with a gun can kill you easily. Doesn't take much strength to pull a trigger.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: September 09, 2013, 07:32:42 am »

He fired at them through a doorway and missed.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: September 09, 2013, 07:48:57 am »

Still, he shot first. Had they refused to use deadly force, he could have killed one of the officers.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: September 09, 2013, 07:59:47 am »

I'm pretty sure there's other ways of preventing somebody getting killed than killing the other guy first.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: September 09, 2013, 08:23:47 am »

When that guy is shooting at you? Seriously, this fall under self-defense, fair and square.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1947 on: September 09, 2013, 08:27:46 am »

I'm pretty sure there's other ways of preventing somebody getting killed than killing the other guy first.
As  hard a line as I draw with police brutality, I do not yet see anything here to indicate an unjustified use of force by the officers.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: September 09, 2013, 09:41:27 am »

It's one of those where I'm not going to say the police were obviously in the wrong, but I seriously question why things need to be handled the way they were.  What was the nature of this "domestic disturbance"?  Was he posing an immediate danger to anyone?  I've read two articles about this already, and my impression is he just had himself locked in a room and wasn't cooperating.  So what?  He's not the most mobile person, I'm sure.  Why was it not possible to create a safe zone around him and wait him out or take some time to find a better solution?  What's with the urgency?  Afraid they'll miss their lunch breaks waiting for a 107 year old man to fall asleep?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: September 09, 2013, 10:34:29 am »

When that guy is shooting at you? Seriously, this fall under self-defense, fair and square.

Surely there was another way to handle a 107 year old man firing a handgun than to kill him? He only has so many bullets. I've heard that they threw a "distraction" device at him then killed him, but information is hazy at the moment, as you would imagine.

We don't know, but this man could have been suffering from dementia and was sundowning. In fact, he probably was at that age. We need to have better ways of dealing with guys like that than to just kill them. If my grandmother had a handgun and was only a bit more aggressive, I could see her pulling something like this when she gets bad.

I've often been interested in the protocols for "self defence" and killing people and so forth though. I understand that in a place like the USA where owning a gun for self defence is quite possible, people are advised to shoot to kill if they encounter a burglar in their house because it's the easiest way to deal with them. If they maim them in some way (at least, if the burglar survives), the burglar can sue you for a large sum of money and possibly have your gun taken away. Police officers seem to take the line that if there is any risk, euphemisms like "neutralise the threat" start getting thrown around and someone gets shot and killed. I know it's the most practical, safe way to deal with a guy with a gun after negotiations fail, but maybe this case will show that the practical, safe way isn't always the prettiest and can lead to repugnant outcomes.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:36:33 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 667