Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820049 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #6930 on: June 10, 2014, 09:15:55 pm »

In the actual amendment, though, the "WELL-REGULATED MILITIA" is separated by a comma which proceeds to also mention "THE PEOPLE", who presumably are separate from the "WELL-REGULATED MILITIA". Even were that not the case, the "WELL-REGULATED MILITIA" of 18th century America pretty much covered all male citizens of the US, so it doesn't exactly constitute a restriction.

According to wikipedia, Thomas Jefferson amended the amendment and removed that comma. I don't disagree with your point in substance, but I don't think the intent of the amendment was to set aside a well-regulated militia, and then have people going buck wild otherwise.

Or, maybe that is what they meant. And we need a well-regulated militia to protect us from arms-bearing citizens for the necessary security of a free state.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Steeled

• Bay Watcher
  • 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.
    • View Profile
Re: WE INTERRUPT THIS BROADCAST
« Reply #6931 on: June 10, 2014, 09:27:51 pm »

"NYC confiscated guns in the 70s" son I am disappoint.

I could rant about that but BREAKING NEWS: ERIC CANTOR, HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER LOSES IN PRIMARY TO UNKNOWN.
It's hard to find. I'll admit, but it did happen.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: June 10, 2014, 11:34:21 pm »

"NYC confiscated guns in the 70s" son I am disappoint.

I could rant about that but BREAKING NEWS: ERIC CANTOR, HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER LOSES IN PRIMARY TO UNKNOWN.
It's hard to find. I'll admit, but it did happen.

I wonder who they'll pick as house leader now? And yes a MAJOR upset since it'll change the whole dynamics, and a major upset because he lost to someone who was unknown in politics.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: June 10, 2014, 11:46:37 pm »

And he was royally outspent too. Too bad more people don't automatically buy into the belief that you can't win anything without more cash than the other guy. Although he was of the belief Cantor's ads actually boosted his name recognition.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: June 11, 2014, 07:55:59 am »

Conventional wisdom is that Cantor lost because he was seen as too lefty on immigration reform. Considering the House has refused to even take up the issue, I kinda boggle at that. Anybody know what the new guy's stance on immigration reform is? Filling the Rio Grande with sharks? Using a Running Man-style reality show instead of deportation??

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: June 11, 2014, 07:56:55 am »

Apparently Cantor agreed at some points that aliens that serve into the US military should be able to get a citizenship or amnesty or I don't know exactly what.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: June 11, 2014, 08:04:31 am »

Arg.
But Brat successfully criticised Cantor’s support for immigration reform and financial compromise efforts such as extending the debt ceiling and budget authority – factors that are likely to send a chill through attempts to bridge the already deep divide between Republicans and Democrats in Washington.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: June 11, 2014, 08:05:50 am »

Christ on a cracker, have these people never heard of "Digging their own grave"?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: June 11, 2014, 08:10:03 am »

Well who else should dig it? Illegal immigrant laborers? Coming over here and taking our grave-digging jobs...

Edit: ahh, so because Cantor didn't agree to a second government shutdown (which by most calculations would have sent the economy back into recession and ensured that Republicans would be only slightly less popular with sane voters than say, pond scum.)

Seems legit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:14:02 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: June 11, 2014, 08:22:41 am »

Trivial point; Cantor is (soon to be was) the only non-Christian Republican Congressperson. Well, some might not count the Mormons, but Cantor was the only Jewish Republican left.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6940 on: June 11, 2014, 08:29:09 am »

Funny how the party that wants to outdo themselves professing their undying love for Israel is not the party most American Jews go for.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: June 11, 2014, 08:48:40 am »

this might be a spoiler to some but being a jew does not equal loving israel apparently ????

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:58 am »

I'm aware of that but I find it hard to believe that all (or even most) American Jews are anti-Israel. Not that the Democratic Party eschews from kissing Israel's ass, they just don't give them the complementary reach-around like the GOP.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: June 11, 2014, 09:01:48 am »

Conventional wisdom is that Cantor lost because he was seen as too lefty on immigration reform. Considering the House has refused to even take up the issue, I kinda boggle at that. Anybody know what the new guy's stance on immigration reform is? Filling the Rio Grande with sharks? Using a Running Man-style reality show instead of deportation??

Just because he tossed out the majority leader doesn't mean that Brat (seriously @ the last name?) will become the new majority leader.

He could still lose to the democrat challenger in November.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: June 11, 2014, 09:03:08 am »

Could be that pro-Israel views that come complete with apocalyptic dispensationalist Christian views are more worrying to some Jews than softer pro-Israeli hand wringing.
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 667