Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Ballad of the Stars (OOC) - Now Accepting Waitlistings  (Read 7001 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Ballad of the Stars (OOC) - Now Accepting Waitlistings
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »

All sheets are done.
Working on the ship's statistics, now, and then we will be good to go.

E: It occurs to me that I screwed up some people's wound ranks. Wound ranks are Earth Ring x 4.
Also, if anything on your sheet says "Session" feel free to mentally replace that with "Chapter".

E2: Ship's statistics are up. I'll make the IC thread after work tonight, and we can get started.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:44:39 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 11:43:05 am »

The IC Thread is up.
Apologies for the wait, I went out last night after work and had course readings to do when I got home.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 11:44:16 am »

The IC Thread is up.
Apologies for the wait, I went out last night after work and had course readings to do when I got home.

Link. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122644.msg3970493#new
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 11:47:12 am »

Post to watch.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 01:36:23 pm »

Can you append the player list and ship status to the end of each chapter? With 10 people it will take us awhile to figure out who is who...

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 02:06:44 pm »

Can you append the player list and ship status to the end of each chapter? With 10 people it will take us awhile to figure out who is who...
The end of each chapter, or the beginning?
I can indeed do that.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 02:16:31 pm »

I'm a little confused on the matter: is my character supposed to start off on the ship or at the star port?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:07 pm »

I'm a little confused on the matter: is my character supposed to start off on the ship or at the star port?
You're in the ship.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 02:42:56 pm »

The end of each chapter, or the beginning?
I can indeed do that.

I should have said each post. We will need that list alot until we get comfortable enough to know who does what.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 11:22:48 pm »

Hey, just a heads-up, but if you guys plan to take an action, including a summation in bold at the end of your post would be awesome.
This way, I have a better way of knowing when you're doing something instead of just proposing that the party do something!

And if possible, please direct all OOC communications here, rather than cluttering the IC thread with them.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:43:51 am by thatkid »

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 06:06:26 pm »

This may be a bit of a silly question but could you clarify the Warp drives for me please?

If it still takes a week to get from Earth to mars, then travel, even if it is FTL, to other systems would still take far too long.

I assume that it was the very first FTL Warp drives that do the journey in 1 week and now 'modern' warp drives are much more powerful?

or is there some sort of relay system that was created which exponentially speeds up the travelling vessal so that it takes far less time to travel to your destination?

I'm not saying that they shoulld be instant. Maybe say 'modern' warp drives can get you to the most distant colonies in just about a year, give or take a month and that anything closer takes less time?

This could even be variable, with costly ships (like those used by successful pirates/raiders, the Imperial Government and/or Military and medium/large corporations) being able to travel to their destinations very quickly whereas smaller and/or less costly ships take longer.

I'm wondering because i'm not sure how certain things would work if it took as long as is implied to travel as travel between systems would take decades (which, i admit, is better than centuries and millennia, but still a long time). This would mean pilots (actually, probably entire crews) would only be able to do a few trips before dying of old age and anyone wanitng to take up a 'career' in space would never see their family again. At least, alive anyway.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:13:03 pm by kahn1234 »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 09:24:54 pm »

This may be a bit of a silly question but could you clarify the Warp drives for me please?

If it still takes a week to get from Earth to mars, then travel, even if it is FTL, to other systems would still take far too long.

I assume that it was the very first FTL Warp drives that do the journey in 1 week and now 'modern' warp drives are much more powerful?

or is there some sort of relay system that was created which exponentially speeds up the travelling vessal so that it takes far less time to travel to your destination?

I'm not saying that they shoulld be instant. Maybe say 'modern' warp drives can get you to the most distant colonies in just about a year, give or take a month and that anything closer takes less time?

This could even be variable, with costly ships (like those used by successful pirates/raiders, the Imperial Government and/or Military and medium/large corporations) being able to travel to their destinations very quickly whereas smaller and/or less costly ships take longer.

I'm wondering because i'm not sure how certain things would work if it took as long as is implied to travel as travel between systems would take decades (which, i admit, is better than centuries and millennia, but still a long time). This would mean pilots (actually, probably entire crews) would only be able to do a few trips before dying of old age and anyone wanitng to take up a 'career' in space would never see their family again. At least, alive anyway.
While warpdrive is indeed used to get from one place to another quickly, it comes with its own disadvantages and dangers, which can be mitigated with proper preparation (calculating trajectories, checking flight paths with local governments to ensure you don't appear inside a planetary body or another vessel, and so on) but never outright removed.
For that reason, realspace travel is utilized as much as it possibly can be, and especially for the shorter trips. The times given were for realspace travel.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 09:12:29 am »

While warpdrive is indeed used to get from one place to another quickly, it comes with its own disadvantages and dangers, which can be mitigated with proper preparation (calculating trajectories, checking flight paths with local governments to ensure you don't appear inside a planetary body or another vessel, and so on) but never outright removed.
For that reason, realspace travel is utilized as much as it possibly can be, and especially for the shorter trips. The times given were for realspace travel.

So its similar to Warhammer 40K?

You can use warp to get anywhere very fast but if you dont know what you're doing you get seriously screwed over?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »

So its similar to Warhammer 40K?

You can use warp to get anywhere very fast but if you dont know what you're doing you get seriously screwed over?
Disclaimer: I don't know anything about Warhammer 40k.

Yeah. Sure, dude.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 01:53:23 pm »

So there are two ways we can handle XP usage. I was going to wait until XP was handed out to bring this up, but I just realized that one option is more work for me, so if you guys don't want to use I'd rather not spend time tracking it.

Option A: "The mechanical." I give you guys a list of costs, and you spend exp however you want between chapters.

Option B: "The organic." I track your usage of skills, weighting failures higher than successes, and check it against your current rank in that skill or attribute. When your "usage" points hit a certain amount, dependent on the current rank, and you have enough experience, that skill automatically raises. In the case of having to choose between multiple skills, the skill or attribute that has the most "usage" points is used first. I'll also be implementing a system where you can weight the "usage" towards certain skills and attributes by explaining what you do in your downtime. (Want to raise Strength? Consider lifting weights!) Under this system your chosen starsign and temperament will also play a role.

I have a feeling Option A will be chosen, but Option B sounded cool so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Regardless of system, Advantages/Disadvantages will be acquired/lost as story rewards only.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:56:40 pm by thatkid »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6