Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the speed of well buckets?  (Read 1942 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the speed of well buckets?
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:44:25 pm »

That is; how fast does a well's bucket descend/ascend when a dwarf is getting water from it?

Currently, my fortress's only water source is a cavern, 50 stories below the fortress itself. We also have a lot of sick and injured people. So, I need water, but...

I want to know if the bucket's descent by well is faster than dwarves running up/down 50 stories of stairs. If so, I would dig a shaft down to the cavern lake and the dwarves would lower/raise the bucket to get the water they need. I could even stack multiple wells above/below each other for additional capacity and install a safe reservoir at the bottom to keep cavern creatures out!

I could not find the information I need on the wiki, though; not on the Well page and not on the Well Guide. Would be nice if someone could tell me/do some !!SCIENCE!!
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: What is the speed of well buckets?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:00:20 pm »

As far as I know, it's instantaneous. The dwarf just has to lower and raise the bucket, which counts as two actions.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »

why not watch it? pause the game when the dwarf uses it then press the . (period) to increment time 1 tick at a time so you can tell how many levels it moves per tick as it will show the bucket moving down

you could designate a small zone as a pit/pond over a channeled area for your dwarves to fill so you'll have water closer to your fort if it bothers you. if it stagnates: just move it through a screw pump to make it fresh, as far as i know it doesn't even require to be moved into a new pit. tip: each zone you set is another dwarf carrying a bucket of water which is important as water will evaporate if it's 1/7 or 2/7

i use small pits inside my fort of 3/7 so my dwarves get baths regularly which gives happy thoughts and keeps poison dust/stuff off :P
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »

As far as I know, it's instantaneous. The dwarf just has to lower and raise the bucket, which counts as two actions.

Nuh uh.  There's literally a bucket entity that gets lowered down into the water and comes back up.  I only just recently noticed and have no idea how long it's been a 'thing', though.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:35:02 pm »

why not watch it? pause the game when the dwarf uses it then press the . (period) to increment time 1 tick at a time so you can tell how many levels it moves per tick as it will show the bucket moving down

you could designate a small zone as a pit/pond over a channeled area for your dwarves to fill so you'll have water closer to your fort if it bothers you. if it stagnates: just move it through a screw pump to make it fresh, as far as i know it doesn't even require to be moved into a new pit. tip: each zone you set is another dwarf carrying a bucket of water which is important as water will evaporate if it's 1/7 or 2/7

i use small pits inside my fort of 3/7 so my dwarves get baths regularly which gives happy thoughts and keeps poison dust/stuff off :P

1. Don't have any fortresses to test this with right now; and my current fortress.. let's just say, it's not a good time for !!SCIENCE!!
2. Might try that, but I didn't really wanna make a reservoir and don't have extra dwarves for carrying water (it's dangerous & time consuming)
3. It would be nice to have documentation of this on the forums in case anyone else needs to know this

Nuh uh.  There's literally a bucket entity that gets lowered down into the water and comes back up.  I only just recently noticed and have no idea how long it's been a 'thing', though.

As long as I've been playing (0.31.x), I've noticed this.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »

it isn't instantaneous, but much much faster than taking the stairs/
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 08:25:23 pm »

Buckets are the fastest thing in the game! You should see the speed at which my dwarves kick them!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:16:45 pm »

Buckets descend and rise at 1 z-level per game-tick.  I had a fort whose only fresh-water source was in a cavern lake 93 z-levels below the surface, and I watched the buckets rise and fall through the shafts I dug.  This was in 31.12, but I doubt it has changed.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:11:53 am »

I want to see pipes added. I want to be able to pump stuff more than 1 z level at a time xD
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:21:54 am »

I want to see pipes added. I want to be able to pump stuff more than 1 z level at a time xD
That would be wonderful. Especially if it allowed connection to pumps to shoot water up x number of z-levels instead of creating insane aqueduct/pump contraptions.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:41:44 am »

Or magma.

edit: Just imagine. Magma the blood of every healthy fortress, like electricity in real-life cities.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:46:18 am by omg_scout »

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 12:50:41 pm »

Yeah, that would be a godsend. Even if you had to build pumps every ten levels or so it would still be a major improvement. I built one 100z level pumpstack to prove I could and I've been using Dfhack liquids for my magma positioning needs ever since.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

DrTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_RATIONAL_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 01:14:03 pm »

Buckets are the fastest thing in the game! You should see the speed at which my dwarves kick them!

That's the funniest thing I have read all morning. Bravo!
"I'm just so FUCKIN' HAPPY!"
*throws chair across the room*

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 04:01:05 pm »

Been a long time since I built a well over 20 z-levels, but IIRC it's pretty long.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 04:41:38 pm »

or just make it so you need more power depending on the z levels. And bigger pumps set up or something.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.
Pages: [1] 2