Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Wizardry online - open pvp, perma death  (Read 8093 times)

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry online - open pvp, perma death
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 02:05:26 pm »

I doubt they're PCs, that would be ridiculous. Imagine playing WoW and having your corpse camped on both sides of limbo, oh god.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:29:33 pm »

It's not the permadeath that would keep me away, it's the open PvP. MMOs have taught me that this means a max level character will sit smack dab in the center of the newbie area killing everything that moves for the lulz.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 02:31:09 pm »

It's not the permadeath that would keep me away, it's the open PvP. MMOs have taught me that this means a max level character will sit smack dab in the center of the newbie area killing everything that moves for the lulz.

Surely there's some sort of safe zone. This looks looks like a well developed game, I can't imagine they'd release it with such a bad design quirk.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:33:41 pm »

servers are down for maintenance
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 02:44:36 pm »

Surely there's some sort of safe zone. This looks looks like a well developed game, I can't imagine they'd release it with such a bad design quirk.
Then they camp the edges of said safe zone and you die the moment you set foot outside. If, for example, the lvl cap is 50 and the newbie area is 1-6, it really doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference if you're 1 or 6, you're still instagibbed.

There's literally no game mechanic you can implement to avoid this scenario in an open PvP world, other than ridiculous amounts of high-powered NPC guards. And even then...you get people like Angwe.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 02:54:14 pm »

Well, a solution could be portals that teleport you to a random spot within whatever leveling zone you want to go to. Not as fun, but it certainly makes camping harder.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »

Well, a solution could be portals that teleport you to a random spot within whatever leveling zone you want to go to. Not as fun, but it certainly makes camping harder.
Somewhat hard to do truely randomly. There might be say, 5-10 points in a given zone that it would randomly pick from, but I can guarantee somebody would map out those spots and provide a guide to ganking newbies, JUST BECAUSE.

What makes you think other high level players won't fight them off?
Oh, I'm sure some would. That happened on AC, and it was actually kind of fascinating...you had griefer guilds and anti-griefer guilds. Problem being, as a newb you're super squishy. All a griefer needs is a few seconds to get in a couple of good hits and you're toast. Admittedly, it was kinda fun to watch the high-level rumbles going on....except that you couldn't sit and enjoy it because as soon as you stopped moving, someone was going to kill you.

Best hope for a newbie character on Darktide (the lone PvP server) was to immediately run AWAY from civilization -- dying a few times in the process -- and hope to survive in the wilderness, scrounging through the remains of lvl 1 rats and shreths for the occasional slightly better scrap of equipment and slowly levelling up till you could move on to tougher zones. Eventually, you could risk going into a town late at night when the server population was low. Even when you encountered other players who didn't immediately kill you, you were completely paranoid and watchful the whole time.

It was an surreal way to play an MMO...like a survival horror game, only instead of zombies you were avoiding other players.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:51 pm »

newbies cant kill newbies, you have to attain a certain soul soul rank before you can kill other players, so new guys cant go and mass kill eachover.

also guys play the game first, from what i have played its quite lax and i have not seen mass killings yet.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 03:26:14 pm »

Newbies killing newbies is not at all the feared issue here. Also, the game just started. It will be a little bit before the mass killings start if they are going to, greifers need to grind up first.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 03:31:41 pm »

Yeah the game is already very difficult it's going to be a whole before any griefers come along.

Health potions are a uncommon drop and no auto regen, lone Greifers are no to much of a problem.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 03:33:01 pm »

Of course, doesn't the potential for permadeath mean that, unlike in many RPGs, it's actually possible to know the PKers down a peg and keep them somewhat under control?

In a permadeath game, "camper" sounds a lot like "stationary target".

I used to play FOnline, and the primary problem there WAS from newbies killing newbies. Experienced players generally avoided causing trouble that was likely to bite them in the ass, since they didn't want to lose everything. But rolling cheap low-level alts was an easy way to grief, since a high level player could easily equip them enough to kill other newbies, and if they died it was no big deal.

I imagine the biggest problem would be griefer dedicated groups who can protect their own and boost them up, and not worry much about a few heroes. The extent of that depends a lot on the resulting player-base though.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »

also attacks do not auto hit, you can dodge attacks in real time meaning you can run the fuck out of there is attacked :P

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 03:36:08 pm »

Does anyone know when the game gets back online?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 03:47:10 pm »

Ugh. That's a pretty long maintenance for release day. :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6