Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Wizardry online - open pvp, perma death  (Read 8078 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Wizardry online - open pvp, perma death
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:51:15 am »

So wizardry online came out today, really enjoying it its very much a dungeon crawler at heart, with open pvp and perma death.

im currently playing with a few other bay12 guys anyone else want to join us ?

also looking at setting up a bay12 guild called laughing coffin.

home page = https://www.wizardrythegame.com/index.vm

Features:

The Hardest MMO Ever
        No auto-regeneration, no auto-leveling, no safe zones. Enemies respawn faster than you can kill them – so keep moving! Are you up for the challenge?
    Classic MMO Mechanics
        There are countless dungeons to crawl, puzzles to solve and traps to disarm
    Total Character Customization
        Four character classes, three alignments and five races. Each class can be combined with the others to create hybrid classes. Each of the races has unique advantages, all the way down to different speeds of attacks with different weapon types.
    Permadeath
        If you fail to prepare properly, your character may be lost forever upon death.
    Server-Wide PVP
        It's kill or be killed in the world of Wizardry Online. Team up early to discourage opportunistic players – or form your own roving gang of murderers and thieves!
    Sophisticated Crime System
        When you kill or steal from other players, you become a criminal. Watch out for the guards, or you may end up in prison!
    Bounty Hunters
        Only the best players can survive with a price on their heads. Will you live in infamy, hiding in the slums? Or will you bring people like that to justice?
    Free to Play. Your Way
        Our philosophy is simple. Free games. No commitment. And if you want to buy, it's on your terms.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:14:05 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry online - open pvp, perma death
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:21:09 am »

So, Laughing Coffin?

It's kill or be killed in the world of Wizardry Online. Team up early to discourage opportunistic players – or form your own roving gang of murderers and thieves!

This guild falls in the latter categegory then, I presume?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:16 am »

well not everyone has to be a killer :P

also Im glad someone got the reference haha ( this was also a joint decision on the name between me and a few other bay12 guys )

As stated in other thread i have my own TS3 so we can communicate through that as well.

But would also be nice just to have a party of players to be able to do the dungeons i have nearly died a few times trying to solo the first dungeon

after going through some of the game you need to reach a certain rank before you can kill other players, so it does take away that sense of losing everything and having to start again right at the beginning when you are learning the game
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:30:16 am by ScriptWolf »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:04:26 am »

The racial limitations suck but that's not gonna stop me from making a porkul warrior.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:06:36 am »

Yeah I currently have a dwarf warrior going to tank.

Also i will be playing later if anyone wants to party up PM me for my team speak details.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:11:57 am »

I don't do team speak though.

Good God, I hate the wait time just to log in.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:59 am »

Quote from: majikero link=topic=122355.msg3993439#msg3993439 dte=1359645117
I don't do team speak though.
Good God, I hate the wait time just to log in.

Aqua how come you don't do TS?.

Yeah I think it's because of the amount of people playing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:13:41 am by ScriptWolf »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:11:19 am »

Vaguely reminds me of Asheron's Call on the one PvP server they had.

Welcome to Dereth, young <insert your name here>! Please go speak to--
You have died.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:24:30 am »

I manage to get in and made a porkul warrior. I rolled an 8. I was hoping for 10 but oh well.

Fuck you game. Going into maintenance in 10 minutes when it took me 30 just to log in.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 11:45:17 am »

I got some free time today. I will be giving it a whirl.

Looks like my name already has a 'station' account. Whatever that means. Hopefully it was just me in some past game.

Edit: I guessed the password quickly. So ether it is me or someone else uses the same shitty passwords that I do.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:47:11 am by Criptfeind »

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 01:27:53 pm »

Pretty ballsy of whoever the developers are to make the game permadeath. That's a rather controversial mechanic in modern games, after all - I know many people who wouldn't play a permadeath game, not wanting to lose their precious character.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 01:35:46 pm »

I dunno. Looking at it it does not look like complete permadeath. It looks like when you die you can come back, but there is a chance you fail or something. Also maybe if you lose a char your soul can just get another body, which has implications of persistence across multiple chars, but maybe I am wrong.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 01:39:59 pm »

As far as i can tell when you die you lose something ( like a life ) you have so many lives but you can sacrifice items to also come back. once all these lives run out you die for good.

here is stuff from the wiki:

DeathEdit

Chant. Murmur. Pray. Invoke.

Sometime in your adventure, you'll see these four words come up - when you're attempting to revive yourself. Death is a common occurence in Wizardry Online, and is the first ghastly step towards permanent death. However, it is avoidable if you know what to do.

What happens when you die?

When you're dead, your soul wanders the spirit world, where you are stuck in a hazy blue world away from all living things. In this phase, you can run infinitely, and fall from any height without taking damage. Your objective: to locate a statue. Statues can be found around dungeons, and serve as checkpoints for the dead. Do note, you can only access the statue that you have lit prior. Your goal then is to run to the statue, and essentially roll for revival.

But then you notice you have blue flames over your head.

When you die, 10 blue flames mark your soul's health in the spirit world. There are walkers roaming around the spirit world, basically reapers, who can hack one of the flames off of you if you're caught. Each flame represents 10% success rate for revival. You want to avoid walkers at all costs. And if you're caught by a walker, your soul is sent back to where your body last was.

If running is too risky for you, there is an alternative: instantly warp to a statue. To perform this, players need to stand over their corpses, in which a button allowing them to teleport comes up. Teleporting has its risks as well: firstly, all your gear suffers a 25% loss in durability when you do it; secondly, there is a 30 second wait time before you can access the statue - prime time for a PKer to loot your body.?

The Statue

So you're finally at the statue screen, despite difficulties. When you select it, a scale will come up, showing your chance of survival. You have 2 shots at revival: first time you fail, you're turned into ash; second time you fail, well, it's all over there.?

Your probability can be raised, however, by offering items and/or gold to the statue. Up to 5 items can be offered, and depending on what you offer, the amount on the scale will go up.

If you have any good friends nearby, they can pick up your body or ashes, and take you to a statue or temple for revival - avoiding some of the risks on the way.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:44:05 pm by ScriptWolf »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 01:52:43 pm »

Anyway. A hour of downloading later and it won't connect. So I guess I will not be giving it a try.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 02:03:15 pm »

Wait, wait, wait....these "reapers"...are they PCs?
Cause oh my god if they are....I can be freakin' stalked and PK'd in the afterlife?? D:

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6