Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66886 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #705 on: May 06, 2014, 12:02:40 pm »

((I'm familiar enough with Tiruin's characters, so I know said character is already around.

@Divide_by_Zero: Was Spell Flux detection useless in this case? I expected Russano would have at least been able to detect activity fast enough to react. And as fast as the enemy may be, I think lightning is faster.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« Reply #706 on: May 06, 2014, 06:44:25 pm »

"Sure ill take a look, im curious to see what you offer that could upgrade my equipment."

enquire about potential equipment upgrades and compact power generating devices for my power armor.

That armor of yours doesn't look hand-made. Who built it? I can look up the specs and see what parts are compatible with it.

((I'm familiar enough with Tiruin's characters, so I know said character is already around.

@Divide_by_Zero: Was Spell Flux detection useless in this case? I expected Russano would have at least been able to detect activity fast enough to react. And as fast as the enemy may be, I think lightning is faster.))

((I can neither confirm nor deny that Tiruin has had influence on the current state of the game.))

Your Spell Flux Detection should have alerted you to the assassin's presence. Perhaps it was merely a lapse in your own attention, or maybe nothing seemed out of the ordinary until the intruder finally struck. That said, it is indeed a mystery.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 06, 2014, 09:30:17 pm »

"Viruses?" Ryan seems worried about what Geronimo said... Ryan hasn't experienced computer viruses before at least since he can last reliably remember. What if, considering how his consciousness flows into the machines and network sometimes, the viruses could infect his mind? The thought worries him... but at the same time... what if that's a possible cause for his memory loss? Not the warp crystal defense thing he was told about. At least that could be a lead to regaining his memory...

Still dealing with virus would be part of using his powers... and maybe... he could memorize a virus code and then use it against computer systems? Yes... that could be useful, Ryan thinks. He could move his attention to other things while the viruses do their thing. And Ryan's first thought about this structure it that it's a computer virus considering it doesn't have a sentience... so it's not an AI.... right? Well whatever it is, it scares him... something can wrestle free of his control but also makes him curious and wants to find out exactly what it is.

Focus my attention to the structure. Try to place whatever it is under my complete control.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 07, 2014, 01:36:22 am »

"I believe it was made by Landark Industries although the exact model is unknown to me, it is however specifically designed for use in closed systems with ready access to electrical grids suchs as ships and space stations and therefore lacks any internal power generating capabilities, this may help us narrow down the exact model and is the main drawback im hoping to overcome."

Thinking for a moment kenjaro stops talking and removes his power armor.

"If this is a mass production model perhaps there is some sort of plaque or engraving on the suit that lists the serial number or model designation."

Check the suit for any plaques or engravings that list any identifying factors, continue quest for internal power generation.

((In before Tiruin as "the assassin"))
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:40:04 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 07, 2014, 04:04:03 pm »

Russano waves Perfectio away with certain urgency. "Go, go!" The fact he has been meeting powerful foes has already made the diplomat consider cutting down on diplomatic missions in order to focus on researching combat psionics more throughly so that this kind of scenario won't ever happen again.

Of course, the assassin has also underestimated his abilities. In case the killer thinks the job's done, all Russano needs to do is try to stop time around the messenger again and try to rewind it afterwards - a tricky task, but taking risks is what he's all about.

Try to reconstruct the time-freezing bubble around the messenger. Whether it fails or succeeds, use Spell Flux to try and pinpoint the assassin's movement and relay the information to Perfectio and Josephine via comms.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 08, 2014, 08:41:42 pm »

"Odd. What could've caused such a crash?"

Explore the areas around the vehicle to see if there is any creature of geographic entity that could cause a crash. If the search fails to yield results, make note of the crashed vessel and continue hiking to the mountain.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:12:17 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 08, 2014, 11:47:27 pm »

Roll 72

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

superBlast, AKA Ryan

It soon becomes apparent that the structure you are fighting against isn't a virus, as if it were there is absolutely no way it could survive through the massive power fluctuations in the electronics under your control. Unless, of course, the virus somehow invaded your mind. But viruses are non-sentient. In fact, you've come to a realization after all this: the only thing that can keep you from controlling a piece of electronics is a system of rules and logic in place. You cannot make a contradictory state of affairs occur, as such a power cannot even be thought to exist. Just like the binding laws of thermodynamics, as Geronimo has informed you, the laws of logic keep you from making a computer do something it cannot physically make itself do. You can send it misleading information and alter its memory, but making a piece of hardwired circuity do something it cannot do is impossible as that would require that the circuitry be something different from what it really is.

Spoiler: cont. (click to show/hide)

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

While the woman looks for identification on the outside of the suit, you fiddle around with the settings, using short twitches of your fingers to operate the GUI presented on your visor.
You manage to find a tab in the settings menu that gives a serial number: O230L914-12415A154892RT
The woman punches the number into a popular search server and finds an... interesting result.

"All I'm getting is some public transaction records. Looks like it's from the Landmark Industries support forums--someone had trouble getting their open-source targeting software not shoot these kinds of suits. Do you, by any chance, work as a contractor or arms dealer?"

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

[5] With some quick thinking, you undo your actions, temporally reversing the temporal reversal spell that reversed the temporal stasis field. You're not sure if the wound itself was also reversed, but given that the assassin somehow waited for you to undo the stasis before striking, he most likely isn't able to reverse it himself. It is a matter for a later time.
Universal Clock upgraded!

Perfectio rushes out in a hurry, but you hear him stop once he enters the hall. With your Spell Flux, you attempt to trace back the assassin's path, [3-1] but to no avail. You get the feeling that something is interfering with your powers.

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

"Odd. What could've caused such a crash?"

Explore the areas around the vehicle to see if there is any creature of geographic entidy that could cause a crash. If the search fails to yield results, make note of the crashed vessel and continue hiking to the mountain.

"Hm, I wonder if there is a creature of geographic ent--"
You are interrupted in your speech by a rumble coming from deep within the forest. One of the trees appears to be shaking!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:09:31 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 09, 2014, 02:34:41 am »

Nodding to the woman Kenjaro begins removing his armor.
"For a while at least, I thought removing it would make it easier to inspect and work upon.
One introduction deserves another in any case. My name is Kenjaro, pleased to meet you."

Once finished removing the armor he continues the conversation.

"Do you have any ideas or recommendations on how to replace the battery pack with internal power generation? And if so which methods or devices would serve me best?

Im interested in any ideas you have on other improvements as well, but that particular improvement is the reason ive come to see you today."
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:43 pm »

"Understood." Russano answers Jo before turning his attention to Perfectio and the whole conundrum caused by the poisonous agent. Without much time remaining, the diplomat decides to try something he isn't too used to doing.

Use a Flash Portal to teleport to Jo's location and carry Perfectio along.
>Yes?

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 09, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »

Either this structure is too alien to even understand, or it's impossible. Still it's not going to stop Ryan from trying... perhaps something is hidden within all these machines... because why would they even keep this old stuff in the first place? It not a museum... right? Well anyways, Ryan thinks that this thing is something that was hidden here... because he's sure he didn't make anything...

Continue to investigate the structure thing.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 10, 2014, 06:11:44 pm »

"For the love of..."

Create a trench around the tentacles to make them unable to reach me.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 12, 2014, 09:17:23 pm »

Roll 73

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

superBlast, AKA Ryan

[4] The thought of having created a mind excites you somewhat. If you can impart the gift of intelligence to something normally inanimate, thing of all the things you could do! You could rule entire nations! Or just help[ people. That works too.

The nature of the created structure becomes apparent in light of this revelation. It is not a mind in the traditional sense, however. It is one that works off of rules and logic, capable of perceiving and interacting with immaterial concepts but lacking the free will to discern between truths. In it you recognize one of your most primitive goals: to survive and prosper. The mind seems to be trying to spread into the electronics around the room, but now that you know its nature it is fairly easy to keep it back.

"Ryan, I think it is best if we leave this room. The professor will know how to contain your powers. You don't need to do this." says Geronimo, hurrying back toward the door.

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

"Other ideas, power generation, hm. I'm afraid I'm not a physicist anymore, and normal means of power generation are outside of my current level of expertise.

You seem like you've got an idea of what you're looking for. Did someone refer you here?"

[2] You hesitate to answer, unsure of whether or not the woman approves of you asking for enchantment services. Her reluctance to bring up the subject, if she is indeed capable of it as Hadrial suggested in the car, probably means that she desires to keep it secret, or at least limited to people she can trust.

From the long pause, she seems to realize that you are thinking about what to say.
"You want enchantments, don't you? Something so you can walk around in that suit forever?"

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

[3] You create a portal, dragging Perfectio with you along with a strong gust of air which knocks him over on the other side. You find Jo on the other side, waiting in front of the aforementioned reinforced door with a single large blade jammed diagonally through both handles, locking the door in place. Jo stands aside as you begin walking to the door, pushing on it slightly to get a feel for how difficult it would be to get through. The blade actually functions as a surprisingly effective means of stopping the doors, it seems...

Perfectio, getting back on his feet, calls for a three-person kick to break open the doors. Jo nods in agreement, and the three of you get back and perform a synchronized kick, taking the door off its hinges and sending the warped blade flying back into the hallway that lies ahead.

You notice--for a split second--some mental activity inside one of the offices just a few doors before the next set of double doors. Strangely enough, the activity fades as soon as it begins.
The next set of doors also has a blade jammed through it, this time from the inside. This blade is soaked in fresh blood, presumably that of the messenger you just sent back in time.

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

[1] The tentacle pool shrinks slightly as a trench suddenly opens around it, frighting whatever the thing is.

After a few seconds, however, the tentacles prop themselves up and slither over the trench like little snakes, taking on the form temporarily before collapsing back into the ground. However, the puddle now moves toward you, slowly shrinking in width and becoming more like a mound or ball of writhing tentacles. You hardly react before it stands up and takes the form of a large, spider-like cephalopod hybrid, revealing rows of suckers along the lengths of its tentacles and a small central body with a beak and many eyes. The whole thing flashes between many shades of red, blue, and orange while slowly moving toward you.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 12, 2014, 10:34:21 pm »

"Yes, that was my desire.
I was brought here by my driver Hadriel after i asked about electrical enchantments, he seemed rather unimpressed by my request."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 13, 2014, 01:16:09 am »

"Yes, that was my desire.
I was brought here by my driver Hadriel after i asked about electrical enchantments, he seemed rather unimpressed by my request."

Jasmine sighs at having to explain herself.
"Your friend Hadrial is correct in his attitude. Let me explain this to you. Other enchanters... most of the random ones you'll find off the street... they work on what we call a constructed level. The powers which they impart onto objects are merely abstractions of what their minds can do. Their power comes not from nature, but from their own abilities.

My... other profession, if you will, is as an enchanter for willing buyers. My enchantments don't come cheap, but it's not because of money. I only come to this planet every once-in-a-while since it is my homeworld and I like to meet some of my former acquaintances, Hadrial included. I spend most of my time looking for those who I think are capable of handling the power I give to them. This is because when I enchant something, I don't just work off my mind. I literally imbue it with power that comes from the universe itself... sorry if that comes across as pretentious. But basically, there is no need to bother with the indestructibility stuff. If I give you a lightning sword, that sword is no longer under my control. It is completely separate from me, and I cannot disenchant it. Giving out such powers requires great care on my part, because I don't want to be responsible for the next major terror attack or assassination attempt by giving random people more power than they can handle.

Basically, what I'm saying is: can you prove to me that you won't misuse whatever I give you? If I make your suit run forever, are you really going to use it for what is right or are you going to simply use what I give you for your own ends?"

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 13, 2014, 02:54:48 am »

Creating intelligence... that idea... that power... it seems like it's impossible... but Ryan did it without even meaning to. If he can do it again on a whim... oh the possibilities. He'd have to be careful not to make a race of machines hellbent on destroying all life as we know it... He thinks jokingly... for some reason that sounds like a movie plot...? Hm...

Then he hears Geronimo talk to him. "Huh? Ah... alright..." Ryan says... sounding slightly confused and hesitant. Confused by why he would want to contain his powers, and hesitent because he wanted learn more about the mind he created... and learn how how he did it in the first place. Still he could do that later, he should do what he came here for and see if he can find a clue to his past within his abilities. Everything else can wait for now.

Leave the room and follow Geronimo. And sever my connection to the electronics to the room.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 75