Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Want-Sand  (Read 3192 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Want-Sand
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 10:57:27 pm »

I will test when I go home tonight.

I have seen similar wackery that is less repeatable with contaminated floors (soil type contaminants, like "silty clay", not "mud") having constructions placed on top, followed by removal, creating tiles of "furrowed silty clay" as a semi common occurance, but not 100%.

Leaving the tiles of furrowed silty clay does yeild moss growth, and investigation shows it does indeed change the tile material type.  Probably a bug in material assignment on the stack, when trying to preserve the previous tile identity for recovery after removing the construction.

(Eg, the real stack would be (natural stone tile material)->(contaminant pile material)->(constructed wall/floor material), but because the restore stack only stores one material type, it stores the contaminant material, if it is a valid stone or soil type, and not the natural stone type.

It's been awhile since I tested that though. It could have been fixed in the minecart release.

There were some conditions where it didn't seem to work, such as over gemstone floors, or metal ore floors. This is probably because of the vein information.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:00:19 pm by wierd »

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 11:00:18 pm »

Quote from: DF Wiki link=http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Atom_smasher
Sand or dye in bags doesn't get erased while the bag does, creating a small pile of sand or dye on the ground. Similarly, contaminants (eg blood, vomit) are not erased when a bridge descends on them.

DF wiki quote!

No, I mean, can I gather it? Because that would be kinda awesome, never caring about embarking on a place with sand again ever.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03:24 pm »

If it grows moss, then yes, you can collect with an activity zone, as long as you keep the moss off.

An interesting trick I noticed is that you can drop the activity zone, then put a farm plot on top. This will allow collection, and prevent moss growth.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »

If it grows moss, then yes, you can collect with an activity zone, as long as you keep the moss off.

An interesting trick I noticed is that you can drop the activity zone, then put a farm plot on top. This will allow collection, and prevent moss growth.

Or floor grates. But yeah, I still want tests xD

Edit: I mean, with SO many people constantly looking for sand in their embarks, I would think this would be better known!

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 11:56:06 pm »

I'll test this right now. I've got a fort and a few extra sand bags to smash.

Urist McDruid

• Bay Watcher
  • Never underestimate the power of the Scout's Code
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:36 am »

I too will test this. For ‼Science‼

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 02:48:26 am »

Nope. Smashing a sandbag does indeed destroy the sand.

Urist McDruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 02:49:37 am »

I may have done it wrong, but it did not work for me. Will wait for others to post actuall methods.

my seven dwarves who partook in this mission died honorably. One was sent to dig into the magma, in search of candy, and the others were squashed into the ground they tried to change. except for one dwarf, who was pulling the lever. He managed to get hit by a flying Yak, bruising the muscle and jamming the brain through the skull.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 07:09:54 am »

Method for increasing sand on maps: get rid of all soil types in the raws except for one sand, two clays and ooze for the oceans. Presto, most embarks will have sand.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 07:52:33 am »

DAWWWWWWWWWwww. Okay tho, thanks for testing ^_^

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 09:10:41 am »

Dumping the sand out of a sand bag will create "a small pile of <colour> sand" on the dump plot, and this pile is immune to atomsmashing, but it will still not change the floor type and is unusable for sand collection.

If you want to make glass on a sandless map, the only implemented way is to buy sand bags from the traders (well, and digging for rock crystals so you can make crystal glass). You can order additional sand from the dwarven caravan, and the resulting increased prices will only apply to the sand (base price one dwarfbuck). You won't be able to equip a hundred traps with six large serrated glass discs each, but for stuff like magma-proof pump parts and floodgates, it's easily sufficient.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 09:31:27 am »

Dumping the sand out of a sand bag will create "a small pile of <colour> sand" on the dump plot, and this pile is immune to atomsmashing, but it will still not change the floor type and is unusable for sand collection.

If you want to make glass on a sandless map, the only implemented way is to buy sand bags from the traders (well, and digging for rock crystals so you can make crystal glass). You can order additional sand from the dwarven caravan, and the resulting increased prices will only apply to the sand (base price one dwarfbuck). You won't be able to equip a hundred traps with six large serrated glass discs each, but for stuff like magma-proof pump parts and floodgates, it's easily sufficient.

:< what about studding every bolt I make with green glass gems. That's necessary.

Urist McDruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:39 am »

:< what about studding every bolt I make with green glass gems. That's necessary.

Indeed, this is ever so necessary.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:34 am »

Method for increasing sand on maps: get rid of all soil types in the raws except for one sand, two clays and ooze for the oceans. Presto, most embarks will have sand.
I prefer the other direction: set every soil type as [SAND].
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 12:31:33 pm »

I think you can create sand and other soil tiles by building constructions on magma flow tiles and then removing it. I haven't tried this myself, so I don't know if the created tile is entirely random or if it is based on the embark.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3