Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Want-Sand  (Read 3189 times)

Urist McDruid

• Bay Watcher
  • Never underestimate the power of the Scout's Code
    • View Profile
Want-Sand
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:55:03 pm »

How can I tell if an area will have sand before I embark? Any simple tricks?

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Want-Sand
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »

If by "tricks" you mean "magic tricks" then DFHack's prospect command will help.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:40:52 pm »

To Guarantee Sand Easily:
If even the tiniest corner of your embark is in a Sand Desert, you will of course have sand somewhere on your embark.  If you gen a large, patchwork world, you're more liable to get a sand desert somewhere next to a more desirable biome.

To Check For Sand without DFHack:
Embark with nothing but one or more copper picks and, potentially, skills on your dwarves, particularly miner.  Loo(k) at the surface, and do an exploratory channel/stair through the soil layer or layers of each biome present in your embark.  Abandon.  If you found the sand you wanted, reclaim that fortress with a properly outfitted team.  You could also bring a lot of supplies in the Survey Team and not offload them from the wagon, at which point the settler team would have those supplies... but I personally consider that cheating.  Buying nothing with the Survey Team gets you 3 logs and picks, tops (the picks probably walk off with the miners that abandoned).  If your prospective fort site is only over a single biome, it shouldn't take more than a minute real time from unpausing to having completed your survey.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:13 pm »

When using the site finder, setting Drainage to "High" won't garauntee sand, but it becomes fairly likely (& I wouldn't be surprised if the lower values preclude it).

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »

Ooooooor, you can bring a single bag of sand on embark, (d)ump the sand(not the bag though)
And you now have an infinite source of sand at a desirable location in your fort!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:03:40 pm »

Ooooooor, you can bring a single bag of sand on embark, (d)ump the sand(not the bag though)
And you now have an infinite source of sand at a desirable location in your fort!
Really?

Now that is nifty.

Can you also use it as a substitute for irrigation?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:08:34 pm »

An interesting idea... bagged sand on a pure stone, waterless biome...

I might test that.

Dangerous Beans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:53:22 pm »

:o
i don't suppose you can use a constructed clay floor as a clay source too?

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »

Actually, I thought of the wrong way of doing it, the way I said creates a sand contaminant....

Dumping the sand bag under an atom smasher leaves the sand intact however!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:46:40 pm »

So, the process is this:

Bring 1 bag of sand. (Any kind)
Build an atom smasher. (Requires several stone, at least 2 mechanisms)
Dump the bag (not the contents) under the smasher.
Smash the filled bag.

this in order to create 1x1 tile of sand, at the destruction of the bag?

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:51:24 pm »

If you're on a map with no sand and like green/clear/crystal glass objects it's worth it. especially if it's the last one sitting around that you never bothered to dump.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:33:52 pm »

I'll have to remember this... I've been trying to build a magma pump stack on an map with neither sand nor iron, and have been trading for bag after bag of sand from every caravan to make green glass tubes and corkscrews.  Looks like I should buy a few, atomsmash them, and have a sand collection zone.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:48 pm »

The only bad thing is...... Moss might still grow on it.....

Testing may be in order, especially if dumped onto constructed floors

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:49:53 pm »

Can someone confirm this? I'm not believing it just of yet.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:55:36 pm »

Quote from: DF Wiki link=http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Atom_smasher
Sand or dye in bags doesn't get erased while the bag does, creating a small pile of sand or dye on the ground. Similarly, contaminants (eg blood, vomit) are not erased when a bridge descends on them.

DF wiki quote!
Pages: [1] 2 3