Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 72

Author Topic: You are a new God OOC thread.  (Read 108180 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God OOC thread.
« Reply #870 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:19 pm »

Or we incorporate the trogs into our army, doing what we did with the stems, but giving them natural armour, increasing their intelligence a little, making them faster and stronger, and making them naturally subservient to us.  And then we have instant shock troopers.

Natural armor? Let's go chitin. Super tough and durable. Half inch thick chitin should deflect many a blade.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:23 pm »

Don't forget heavy. And relatively inflexible.

I still want to make them into chameleonic doppelgangers/invisiscouts. They're already reptilian.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 01, 2013, 08:20:38 pm »

Don't forget heavy. And relatively inflexible.

I still want to make them into chameleonic doppelgangers/invisiscouts. They're already reptilian.
W already have a better version of that. With better natural armor.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 01, 2013, 08:44:38 pm »

The fire jackets? Or what'shisface the Jawa?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 01, 2013, 08:47:05 pm »

The fire jackets? Or what'shisface the Jawa?
The latter. Wooheehee!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 01, 2013, 08:52:33 pm »

Chitin density - 1.425 g cm−3

Iron density - 7.874 g·cm−3

Chitin is seven times less dense than iron, meaning the armor, theoretically could be seven times thicker.

Dry beetle shell has a tensile ultimate strength of 80MPa, compared to around 800MPa of steel, making it an order of magnitude more brittle.

The shear strength according to a paper is about 30MPa. I can't find a good comparison anywhere.

It'll probably work great at light armor at half an inch thick. The joints would be weak spots, but those could even be covered by thick scales.

If we base it off of crab shell, it'll be stiffer, tougher, and much much likely to shatter on a hit.

To be honest though, it'd probably be better in composite form.

NINJAEDIT:

From this website it states that:

"In its unmodified form, chitin is translucent, pliable, resilient, and quite tough. In arthropods, however, it is often modified, becoming embedded in sclerotin, a tanned proteinaceous matrix, which forms much of the exoskeleton. In its pure form, chitin is leathery, but in most invertebrates it occurs largely as a component of composite materials."

So it makes a great leather like armor. Much stronger than actual leather.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 01, 2013, 08:55:17 pm »

Chitin density - 1.425 g cm−3

Iron density - 7.874 g·cm−3

Chitin is seven times less dense than iron, meaning the armor, theoretically could be seven times thicker.

Dry beetle shell has a tensile ultimate strength of 80MPa, compared to around 800MPa of steel, making it an order of magnitude more brittle.

The shear strength according to a paper is about 30MPa. I can't find a good comparison anywhere.

It'll probably work great at light armor at half an inch thick. The joints would be weak spots, but those could even be covered by thick scales.

If we base it off of crab shell, it'll be stiffer, tougher, and much much likely to shatter on a hit.

To be honest though, it'd probably be better in composite form.

NINJAEDIT:

From this website it states that:

"In its unmodified form, chitin is translucent, pliable, resilient, and quite tough. In arthropods, however, it is often modified, becoming embedded in sclerotin, a tanned proteinaceous matrix, which forms much of the exoskeleton. In its pure form, chitin is leathery, but in most invertebrates it occurs largely as a component of composite materials."

So it makes a great leather like armor. Much stronger than actual leather.
Haha! And many days ago someone said leather was better than chitin!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 01, 2013, 08:59:12 pm »

This is the first mechanical research I've done for anything on the bay12. It was quite enjoyable.

But yeah. You know how you often have leather inserts for iron armor? Pure chitin can replace that, according to that article.

Crab shell is chitin with calcium carbonate, making it stiffer than pure chitin, but not as brittle as beetle shell also according to that article.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 01, 2013, 09:02:19 pm »

Then why doesn't large animal life have chitin shells? Probably partially because lugging around effectively a suit of armor is hard work when you're large. When you're small, you don't give a shit because you're a goddamn tiny Hercules (beetle, that is).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 01, 2013, 09:04:09 pm »

Then why doesn't large animal life have chitin shells? Probably partially because lugging around effectively a suit of armor is hard work when you're large. When you're small, you don't give a shit because you're a goddamn tiny Hercules (beetle, that is).
All the more reason to keep with the invertebrates. Also, armadillos.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 01, 2013, 09:11:31 pm »

Also because we developed a self-healing skin. Chitin retains its scars and doesn't heal until the next molt. Skin is much tougher to tear apart, but sucks for shear yeild. We gave up armor for speed and regeneration. There's no sense in why we can't have creatures that can easily carry what amounts to a suit of armor. that regenerates quicker by skin by forced molting.

Because we're god.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 01, 2013, 09:17:40 pm »

Also because we developed a self-healing skin. Chitin retains its scars and doesn't heal until the next molt. Skin is much tougher to tear apart, but sucks for shear yeild. We gave up armor for speed and regeneration. There's no sense in why we can't have creatures that can easily carry what amounts to a suit of armor. that regenerates quicker by skin by forced molting.

Because we're god.
And we make them stronger, faster, smarter, and throw in some genetic memory of how to conduct the operations required of shock troopers.  They would storm enemy positions, and raise great volumes of chaos but hitting them with their pants down, open a breach in the defenses, and then along comes the main body of the forces.  Alternatively we could use them as sappers since we're making them extra strong.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 01, 2013, 09:45:41 pm »

We could just make bacteria that can ignore death magic and make acid, eat creatures, and then make more of themselves, and tell them not to hurt our followers.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 01, 2013, 09:51:13 pm »

We could just make bacteria that can ignore death magic and make acid, eat creatures, and then make more of themselves, and tell them not to hurt our followers.
We can't do that, how would it ignore death?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:09:20 pm by Remuthra »

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 01, 2013, 10:08:39 pm »

The larger the creature is the easier it is for it resist death magic.  As I understand it, these trogs are pretty damn big.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 72