Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 72

Author Topic: You are a new God OOC thread.  (Read 108201 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God OOC thread.
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2013, 09:26:22 pm »

For once, I actually agree with Ranger. Trying to make very general items, ones that can fulfill a variety of roles, rather than specialized ones, isn't too effective. Think of it this way.

If you have three squads of infantry, and you don't know if your enemy has tanks, infantry, or aircraft, will you make it so each squad is equally suited to fighting each? No. You're going to make two of them anti-infantry because that's the most likely thing, and one AT/AA.
Alternatively, you make some people who can be the template for either an antitank, antiaircraft, or antipersonnel unit, so it costs less to make whichever one you make when the time comes. That doesn't work so well in the analogy but it works better here!

Yep, I think you were missing the context of what was said RP.  I suggested making it so that our plant soldiers are capable of morphing into specialized forms to suit whatever we need them for instead of making multiple species for the same purpose.  Either way you get to have specialized troops, only difference is that with my idea they can change into different forms as needed instead of being stuck as whatever they were born as.

I also suggested making a plant that can form into anything we want it to instead of just one particular weapon, which also enables more specialized options because we can make more weapons from one plant instead of having to micromanage 100 different plants for each type of weapon we would want to grow.

Edit: My other suggestion was allying with Maher which has nothing to do with any of the specialization analogies made by anyone at all.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:29:31 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2013, 09:27:30 pm »

I would say, on the military front at least, we make sure that we have the best logistical capabilities that is within our grasp.  The US is the military superpower it is not because it has the best weapons or the highest tech toys, but because they can get them anywhere in the world fast, and keep feeding them with whatever they need to run.  I think we should take a similar approach, even if at the expense of the quality of our forces, since we obviously have quantity and ease of recruiting on our side.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2013, 09:30:14 pm »

Quantity has a quality all its own.

I can't really object to that, especially as it would likely have uses outside the military sphere.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2013, 09:31:53 pm »

I feel we should generally go more the logistic approach, but for now we don't really need to work on that. Time for it later when we aren't already at our base. (why make them able to grow anywhere while they don't need to grow anywhere?)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2013, 09:36:33 pm »

I feel we should generally go more the logistic approach, but for now we don't really need to work on that. Time for it later when we aren't already at our base. (why make them able to grow anywhere while they don't need to grow anywhere?)
To answer the question, why would they not need to grow anywhere?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2013, 09:38:02 pm »

Because for now we aren't moving around, we're just sitting at our base gathering forces. Time to invest mana into that later when we move out.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2013, 09:40:15 pm »

...So basically, you're suggesting what I had already suggested a couple pages back with growable weapons?

Basic infantry that can fulfill different roles is good, but making them do so instantaneously would be incredibly expensive.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2013, 09:41:05 pm »

Making saps able to grow anywhere including underground is pretty useful and probably wouldn't take a lot of mana or time to do, so we might as well fit it into our turn if we can.

...So basically, you're suggesting what I had already suggested a couple pages back with growable weapons?

Basic infantry that can fulfill different roles is good, but making them do so instantaneously would be incredibly expensive.

Who is that directed at?  I don't remember anyone arguing with growable weapons and I don't think anyone said it would be instantaneous, it would take a bit of time and would be done when things are quiet.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:01:37 pm by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2013, 09:43:56 pm »

I disagree. If we don't need something now, why waste mana or Corruptor's writing time doing it until we need it?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2013, 09:45:20 pm »

Growing anywhere would allow us to allocate more space for growing them.  Underground would be particularly useful imo just because of how much space it opens up.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:06:21 pm by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2013, 09:49:40 pm »

I disagree. If we don't need something now, why waste mana or Corruptor's writing time doing it until we need it?
Well...
1. We have mana now and might not when we do need it.
2. It lets us make more.
3. We can refine it before we need it. Imagine if we needed, say, a "turret" ASAP because the Empire was coming now. Would you rather have already made some turrets, placed them, worked them into a strategy, and perfected them; or would you rather make them on the spot, weakening us for the actual battle and leaving us with a risk that we'd end up with subpar or even uncontrollable turrets?
Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2013, 09:50:28 pm »

We don't really have space problems. If it's a minimal mana cost though and confers some current benefit, I'm for it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2013, 09:54:07 pm »

Would you mind quoting? I though you were talking to me at first.
Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2013, 10:00:02 pm »

Sorry, just quicker to not quote, gotta outtype the ninjas :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2013, 10:05:17 pm »

Sorry, just quicker to not quote, gotta outtype the ninjas :P
Not true, just hit the "quote" button.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 72