Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 72

Author Topic: You are a new God OOC thread.  (Read 108210 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God OOC thread.
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2013, 08:04:31 pm »

We don't want to be the jack of all trades, master of none.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2013, 08:07:34 pm »

The more opportunities we pursue the more likely one of them will work out
Nope, those aren't independent events. If you try to hit two birds with one stone, you'll hit none

And Maher is our opponent roleplaywise... It's like your offer to train our mages in necromancy, that was ridiculous
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2013, 08:11:59 pm »

That's not what I'm suggesting.  We can still be "the master" of something while keeping other options open.  It would be foolish to stick to only one plan or course of action because we are "the master" of it.  I'm just saying if you have a couple extra contingency plans, it can really help if something goes wrong with your first course of action and being flexible is almost always a good thing so long as you don't take it to the extreme which once again is not something I'm advocating.

Nope, those aren't independent events. If you try to hit two birds with one stone, you'll hit none

And Maher is our opponent roleplaywise... It's like your offer to train our mages in necromancy, that was ridiculous

It wouldn't have cost us anything and it would have gained us something in the form of tactical flexibility and increased power, so no I don't think it was ridiculous although I suppose from an RP perspective it might have been a bit off.

Also what's with the two birds analogy?  I'm not quite sure which of my suggestions you're referring to.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2013, 08:15:28 pm »

Why would we have to be master of none? We wouldn't even be Jack of all trades, we're Jack-Of-Some-Trades-who-is-friends-with-Bob-Ken-and-Alice-who-are-Of-Other-Trades.

Depends on the events in question. And how the birds are positioned.

::) It's not exclusively "He's an antagonist/He's a protagonist." Putting aside fictional examples of seeming antagonists who join the party once the big threats come into play, WWII. Maher's like Russia.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:12 pm »

Oh, and Karne: Imagine that some random guy of the opposite sex came up to you and randomly hit on you. Wait until we at least know her before even trying. So we have a chance of success.
I flirt with any attractive female I meet (if that in not some official situation) girls like that. You should try it. :)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2013, 08:19:38 pm »

Oh, and Karne: Imagine that some random guy of the opposite sex came up to you and randomly hit on you. Wait until we at least know her before even trying. So we have a chance of success.
I flirt with any attractive female I meet (if that in not some official situation) girls like that. You should try it. :)
I think I'll discount bad-sounding advice that I got from someone on the internet.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2013, 08:20:50 pm »

Why would we have to be master of none? We wouldn't even be Jack of all trades, we're Jack-Of-Some-Trades-who-is-friends-with-Bob-Ken-and-Alice-who-are-Of-Other-Trades.

Depends on the events in question. And how the birds are positioned.

::) It's not exclusively "He's an antagonist/He's a protagonist." Putting aside fictional examples of seeming antagonists who join the party once the big threats come into play, WWII. Maher's like Russia.

+1 glad someone agrees with me on this at least.

Flirting with someone you just met can go really well or really poorly.  It would probably be safer to get to know her at least a little bit better rather than risk insulting her on our first meeting.
Sure thing peanut man!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2013, 08:22:48 pm »

+1 to the first and second.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2013, 08:23:33 pm »

then lets endevour to find about Maher's stance towards the empire of tranquility instead of just straigt out trying to ally with him.

I do agree that fighting two fronts at the same time is to be avoided like the plague. but Maher isn't ally material.

I forsee us running into real conflict with Maher sooner or later, Before or after the empire of tranquility problem but hopefull not during. Hes got worshippers and we wont have to feel guilty about trying to lure them away from him to give them a better life.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:26:14 pm by Talvara »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2013, 08:25:47 pm »

Hence why I suggested as a compromise we just start things off by trying to trade with him.  If things go well from there we can see how far we want to take our partnership.
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2013, 09:11:49 pm »

then lets endevour to find about Maher's stance towards the empire of tranquility instead of just straigt out trying to ally with him.
Allying with our old enemy (likely through Krait) seems like a good long-term goal. We don't want an enemy so close; we don't want to anger Krait by crushing him.

I do agree that fighting two fronts at the same time is to be avoided like the plague. but Maher isn't ally material.
Why not?

I forsee us running into real conflict with Maher sooner or later, Before or after the empire of tranquility problem but hopefull not during. Hes got worshippers and we wont have to feel guilty about trying to lure them away from him to give them a better life.
True enough, but I still fail to see why we can't try not to kill him. He's Krait's friend, after all.

Hence why I suggested as a compromise we just start things off by trying to trade with him.  If things go well from there we can see how far we want to take our partnership.
Yeah, don't start by asking to be allies-forever. Start small.
Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2013, 09:15:15 pm »

Was starting to get scared there, we had a good 30 minutes without a post somewhere.
I think we should if the opportunity presents itself, attempt to get Maher on our good side, but keep in mind we are at war with him.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2013, 09:17:07 pm »

For once, I actually agree with Ranger. Trying to make very general items, ones that can fulfill a variety of roles, rather than specialized ones, isn't too effective. Think of it this way.

If you have three squads of infantry, and you don't know if your enemy has tanks, infantry, or aircraft, will you make it so each squad is equally suited to fighting each? No. You're going to make two of them anti-infantry because that's the most likely thing, and one AT/AA.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2013, 09:18:19 pm »

Agreed, we don't want to dilute our power.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:14 pm »

For once, I actually agree with Ranger. Trying to make very general items, ones that can fulfill a variety of roles, rather than specialized ones, isn't too effective. Think of it this way.

If you have three squads of infantry, and you don't know if your enemy has tanks, infantry, or aircraft, will you make it so each squad is equally suited to fighting each? No. You're going to make two of them anti-infantry because that's the most likely thing, and one AT/AA.
Alternatively, you make some people who can be the template for either an antitank, antiaircraft, or antipersonnel unit, so it costs less to make whichever one you make when the time comes. That doesn't work so well in the analogy but it works better here!
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 72