Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3893955 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: The Show Must Go On
« Reply #10260 on: November 23, 2013, 09:58:25 pm »

Remember when we fought Betweenford? We didn't kill him, true, but we did fight him and we were certainly getting on his nerves.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: November 23, 2013, 10:05:22 pm »

Goombess has incomplete information, we fought an angel and lived. Mostly because we were a time consuming annoyance.

I presume Angels can't be hurt through Normal means. Probably through Holy/Soul based weaponry

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: November 23, 2013, 10:08:12 pm »

Remember when we fought Betweenford? We didn't kill him, true, but we did fight him and we were certainly getting on his nerves.
We were outside of normal space at that time; potentially the only way for us to beat Angels is fighting outside normal space.  Alternatively, Betweenford still didn't have combat stats, it was pure dice rolls.  All the "damage" we dealt him didn't actually do anything whatsoever other than tie up his time and annoy him.

Goombess has incomplete information, we fought an angel and lived. Mostly because we were a time consuming annoyance.

I presume Angels can't be hurt through Normal means. Probably through Holy/Soul based weaponry
If she has incomplete information but feels perfectly comfortable telling us about it, why didn't she give us some random and useless info about Proxxy?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: November 23, 2013, 10:11:13 pm »

Slash fics about him and who? Betweenford?
What, exactly, is slash fiction anyways?

...ah

It's shipping fanfics. The term is however most often applied to mean homosexual shipping fanfics. The questionable quality kind written by fangirls that pop up all over the place when it comes to anime and video games.
It's FEF, not FEOF

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: November 23, 2013, 10:13:18 pm »

It's because of what Cain told us in This Update. Who knows how trustworthy Cain is (we can probably trust him as far as we can throw him, and remember he's chained in place,) but if anyone wants the cycles broken it's him.
Even if this water indeed have some unusual properties (and I take anything that Cain says with ton of salt), those do not seem to be helpful in context of Stone Dragon. Cain said:
It's too pure. Nothing can get through it. Your soul, your connection to your friends, not even your connection to... y'know.
And look what people made of it - up to and including dissolution of molecular bonds in body...

Now deal killer: assume water really have some blocking properties. Assume it works on spirits (doubtful). Assume spirit is hostile due to external influence (only then severing connection would help). Wouldn't it need completely submerged Stone Dragon for some amount of time before connection is severed?

Anyway, I remember this very weak guy in Duel with Yaos. Seems like communication between Siblings, Oric and rest of Warrens is pretty important plot point. Hell, they have good idea of where we are and what we are doing. Partially because we use scanner (this guy in Cathedral warned about it). Blocking/hijacking this communication could be very useful. I would hold to this water for now.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:43:49 am by reality.auditor »
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:41 pm »

We were outside of normal space at that time; potentially the only way for us to beat Angels is fighting outside normal space.  Alternatively, Betweenford still didn't have combat stats, it was pure dice rolls.  All the "damage" we dealt him didn't actually do anything whatsoever other than tie up his time and annoy him.

That's quite the assumption. As for not affecting him much, that might be true. However, angels might just be really strong.

If she has incomplete information but feels perfectly comfortable telling us about it, why didn't she give us some random and useless info about Proxxy?

I would imagine the angel is more famous. I would expect the reason we didn't get non-combat info about Proxxy is that we were eventually going to get combat info about Proxxy.

To ninja: we can just get more water.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: November 23, 2013, 10:20:44 pm »

That perspective only applies if you're allied to Oric, and reinforces my position. If you're opposed to Oric, or in a position where you're likely to be opposed to him, you'd know more about your more immediate foes than Oric's love interest and her brethren who explicitly run the mechanics behind the scenes.
Don't be absurd. If the hypothetical Sean-Connery-badass-rules-ignoring-CIA-agent-cum-President ran as a Republican, even the Democrat women would be all over him. It just enhances the "bad boy" factor.
The first response I came up with could get into political arguments, so I won't actually post it.  BUT KNOW THAT I THOUGHT IT.
Considering that I was basically talking about a bad-boy-er James Bond existing and becoming President of the United States, you might have been taking this too seriously...
Out of curiosity, would it have been better if I reversed the political parties?

Also, Goom-bess knew about the Angels.  Not just one of them.
Oh, you're focusing on that? I thought you were still talking about how fangirly Goom-Bess was acting towards Oric.
Well, I dunno. Presumably, Goom-Bess did a bit of investigating. Or maybe she was sent to us by the Angels to aid us on our journey.

Because she wasn't confident about any of it, because Proxxy is behind-the-scenes at best.
No clue if this actually answers the question you were aiming at.

It's because of what Cain told us in This Update. Who knows how trustworthy Cain is (we can probably trust him as far as we can throw him, and remember he's chained in place,) but if anyone wants the cycles broken it's him.
Even if this water indeed have some unusual properties (and I take anything that Cain says with ton of salt), they do not seem be helpful in context of Stone Dragon. Cain said:
It's too pure. Nothing can get through it. Your soul, your connection to your friends, not even your connection to... y'know.
And look what people made of it - up to and including dissolution of molecular bonds in body...
Yeah, they took it too far.

Now deal killer: assume water really have some blocking properties. Assume it works on spirits (doubtful). Assume spirit is hostile due to external influence (only then severing connection would help). Wouldn't it need completely submerged Stone Dragon for some amount of time before connection is severed?
Possibly. It could be that we lost the connection within seconds of dipping our feet in. We didn't exactly Science a lot.
The general logic is good, though. It's a terrible idea.

Anyway, I remember this very weak guy in Duel with Yaos. Seems like communication between Siblings, Oric and rest of Warrens is pretty important plot point. Hell, they have good idea of where we are and what we are doing. Partially because we use scanner (this guy in Cathedral warned about it). Blocking/hijacking this communication could be very useful. I would hold to this water for now.
I approve. I wonder if we could put it in the Skill Tree...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: November 23, 2013, 10:22:21 pm »

Well this is all kinds of fascinating.

I'm pretty sure we know the Soul Star is Al's, seeing as it was in the winning theory.

Yes, the point is that we KNOW it belongs to Al. That makes it the control in this experiment. We know what should happen if Al does the thing, we just don't know whether somebody else could do it just by possessing it. Though come to think of it, we could do this experiment right now with the Astral Influx, assuming it's easy to revert.

Step 1: Revert Astral Influx
Step 2: Give Astral Influx to Al, have him try to activate the sword form
Step 3: If Al is able to work it, revert it again and have Goombess try
Step 4: Recover Astral Influx, if necessary turn it into a sword again

This sequence should address whether non-owners can activate the more advanced properties of a Soul Star (potential applications in identifying that loose Soul Star,) and if they can it could let us know whether Illborn can do so (no obvious benefit to this knowledge, but it'd be neat to find out.)
Uh, now, you know I am always, always on board for some dangerous soul-warping science.

But, considering how Proxxy didn't even want to touch our Soul Star, I could see some things going wrong with this.

I stand by my assertion that Goom-bess is not our ally.  How could she have knowledge of the Angels but not of Proxxy?  Why was she so infatuated with Oric when describing him?
I thought she only didn't know more than we already did. Besides, Proxxy is a behind-the-scenes gal. How much do you know about the mechanic who keeps the President's car running?
As to the latter...well, it's like if Sean Connery was elected President, and also happened to be a cold former CIA agent.
That perspective only applies if you're allied to Oric, and reinforces my position.  If you're opposed to Oric, or in a position where you're likely to be opposed to him, you'd know more about your more immediate foes than Oric's love interest and her brethren who explicitly run the mechanics behind the scenes.
That exact specific perspective, yes. How about how many Americans would know about him in that case, even if they weren't "allies?"

I'd also flatly disagree that Goom-bess is either with us or against us, as you seem to be implying, but even if that was so, I'd still disagree that opposing Oric would automatically mean she'd be familiar with his nearest lieutenant and not his girlfriend or her weird kind. Goom-bess is a scholar, remember, so it stands to reason she'd be familiar with something as obviously fascinating as the Angels, especially when one of them's the right-hand woman of the totally hot leader of existence.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: November 23, 2013, 10:27:37 pm »

Well.

That complicates things.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: November 23, 2013, 10:33:32 pm »

Quote from: GWG
if we could put it [the water] in the skill tree
We can only put Reagents in the skill tree, and only useless things are Reagents. I doubt the water is useless, though it might be. We can check it, though.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: November 23, 2013, 10:34:45 pm »

Well this is all kinds of fascinating.

I'm pretty sure we know the Soul Star is Al's, seeing as it was in the winning theory.

Yes, the point is that we KNOW it belongs to Al. That makes it the control in this experiment. We know what should happen if Al does the thing, we just don't know whether somebody else could do it just by possessing it. Though come to think of it, we could do this experiment right now with the Astral Influx, assuming it's easy to revert.

Step 1: Revert Astral Influx
Step 2: Give Astral Influx to Al, have him try to activate the sword form
Step 3: If Al is able to work it, revert it again and have Goombess try
Step 4: Recover Astral Influx, if necessary turn it into a sword again

This sequence should address whether non-owners can activate the more advanced properties of a Soul Star (potential applications in identifying that loose Soul Star,) and if they can it could let us know whether Illborn can do so (no obvious benefit to this knowledge, but it'd be neat to find out.)
Uh, now, you know I am always, always on board for some dangerous soul-warping science.

But, considering how Proxxy didn't even want to touch our Soul Star, I could see some things going wrong with this.

No, see, that's my point; we can't see what could go wrong with this because we don't know enough! Maybe we'll learn some fairly innocuous things, maybe we'll get a glimpse of the Worst Case Scenario, maybe we'll learn Soul Star Secrets that Oric wants to suppress even from his cronies. Only way to find out is to try!

Also, Goom-bess knew about the Angels.  Not just one of them.
Oh, you're focusing on that? I thought you were still talking about how fangirly Goom-Bess was acting towards Oric.
Well, I dunno. Presumably, Goom-Bess did a bit of investigating. Or maybe she was sent to us by the Angels to aid us on our journey.

I'll mention that Circuitrix, at least, spends time hanging out in Outer Underside by the Deeps (or whatever it's called.) If Goombess has been through Outer Underside before to encounter the creatures there, it's quite likely she encountered Circuitrix at that time (and indeed that's basically all she knows about Circuitrix, she hangs out at entrances.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: November 23, 2013, 10:35:57 pm »

Quote from: GWG
if we could put it [the water] in the skill tree
We can only put Reagents in the skill tree, and only useless things are Reagents. I doubt the water is useless, though it might be. We can check it, though.
Couldn't we put acid in the Tree?

And, besides, your proposed uses for the water are roughly on par with "eat the Essence of Awesome to become awesome" or "Burn someone with the Flamhaert".
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: November 23, 2013, 11:31:49 pm »

Seems like communication between Siblings, Oric and rest of Warrens is pretty important plot point. Hell, they have good idea of where we are and what we are doing. Partially because we use scanner
I kind of wonder what would happen if we put the Polar Eye into the water. My guess is that it would just stop functioning.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: November 23, 2013, 11:38:43 pm »

Seems like communication between Siblings, Oric and rest of Warrens is pretty important plot point. Hell, they have good idea of where we are and what we are doing. Partially because we use scanner
I kind of wonder what would happen if we put the Polar Eye into the water. My guess is that it would just stop functioning.

Oooh, we should test the Polar Eye on the Young Hellyfish!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: November 23, 2013, 11:39:35 pm »

Oooh, we should test the Polar Eye on the Young Hellyfish!
Didn't we almost lose our party last time we spent that much time in the water?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 1544