Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3894805 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Prepare yourself
« Reply #8910 on: September 23, 2013, 10:33:47 pm »

I bet this is a boss room. Should we go for it, or backtrack to [6,1] and try not to immolate ourselves on that trap to move West from there.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: September 23, 2013, 10:40:16 pm »

(The answer is obviously shenanigans.)

If the trap there is the same as the trap for the chest, it won't trigger unless we step on the line...but does anyone have enough hitpoints to test this? Cherish's staff was completely incinerated, and the text made it sound like that flame was sustained, so we should expect anyone who triggers a trap to just die unless they get really lucky. This is probably why F.F.S. was willing to make them so obvious.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: September 23, 2013, 10:59:42 pm »

Here's a guidance hint: what costs little but hurts the bank?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: September 23, 2013, 11:18:23 pm »

(Oh hey, a riddle for me to flail at uselessly until I render it unsolvable. Let's see...A bank is a legal structure set up for making loans and taking people's money with which to make loans [giving them part of the interest on the loans]. There are many ways to hurt a bank, but most of them are rather destructive and cost a great deal in various ways: there's taking out a loan [or several with other people's IDs] then spending all that money on avoiding the repercussions of defaulting on the loan[s]; there's tricking the bank into making bad loans to other people who will default; there's destroying enough bank records that other banks can leverage them out of business, or so much the bank can no longer keep track of itself; there's convincing people to withdraw their money from the bank or not use it in the first place; and there is, by the bankers' definition of hurt, simply never letting them use your money, and depositing it in a credit union.
 We could also be talking about the older, more physical banks, at which point you're reduced to simpler forms of thievery and cheating.

Edit: It occurs to me now that the question might be talking about "bank" in a more figurative sense, such as "amount of currency I have available", or a case of where we have some coin being completely useless, and we could turn it into something useful. If this refers to Oric's potions of giving us magic for a boss fight or providing us with loot for our exploration, then the probable response is most of us actually want to see Ciro get five BLOD before L5.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:23:29 pm by Nivim »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: September 23, 2013, 11:22:54 pm »

Interest on a chequing account?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: September 23, 2013, 11:23:26 pm »

A gun.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: September 23, 2013, 11:24:51 pm »

Not going to the bank? Your money depreciates faster but the bank isn't able to invest your money either.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: September 23, 2013, 11:36:50 pm »

(
Not going to the bank? Your money depreciates faster but the bank isn't able to invest your money either.
and there is, by the bankers' definition of hurt, simply never letting them use your money, and depositing it in a credit union.
Fairly sure FFS is trying to refer to something else right now; I can't imagine applications for any interpretation involving a modern day, legally recognized bank. I'm guessing it has to do with decision theory more than economic theory, even if the relevance for both is low relative to what he actually wants us to guess. I can recognize these kinds of puzzles can exist, but I cannot solve them.)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: September 23, 2013, 11:38:31 pm »

going to a different bank?

Or, when racing, doing a wide drift on a desert course?

Edot: DIGGING A HOLE! Bank, as in the side of a hill. It is so glaringly obvious now.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:43:00 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: September 23, 2013, 11:39:20 pm »

A gun.

This is not the right answer, but it is the best answer.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: September 23, 2013, 11:40:34 pm »

A gun.

This is not the right answer, but it is the best answer.
And it's something we have.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: September 23, 2013, 11:41:21 pm »

(FFS is referring to the magic potions and the sheer amount of power we'd get if we bought a few with Pence.)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: September 23, 2013, 11:44:22 pm »

DIGGING A HOLE! Bank, as in the side of a hill. It is so glaringly obvious now.
It came to me just like that. We must leave this floor.
The Cyan Menace

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: September 23, 2013, 11:46:11 pm »

The above gets my "shenanigans" vote, but where will we find a "bank" that doesn't lead to the void?

Edit: We could also just shoot at the pedestal the key is on.
2nd Edit: I just noticed the votes still technically say "fall for obvious trap/press on regardless". -1 to that. Anyone willing to pull up some votes just to stop this?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:50:01 pm by Nivim »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: September 23, 2013, 11:50:22 pm »

I was thinking the sides of said pedestal are slanted enough to be 'banked'.
Shoot the pedestal.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 1544