Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3895434 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

I understand the reasoning behind the permanence, but it seems like we're playing a roguelike as an immortal. Every time we would die we just get crippled more, but there's no way to use the knowledge from our mistakes. We're just stuck failing continuously and wishing we could have a chance to get back to scratch. The scars from our failures just feel crippling to any future achievement. I don't know, I probably just don't understand, but with roguelikes; I always felt that no matter how you died or where, the lesson from that mistake could help you in a future run. But that's not an option here, unless we start another cycle somehow?

Are you seriously saying you HAVEN'T learned how to better abuse the game and survive since the last time the POV character died? Because there is a million ways to use the game mechanics that have been revealed and discovered to keep everyone alive now.

There is a lesson in every deadly mistake in Warrens, and I'm not just talking about the one POV death. Slog's death was probably the biggest lesson: when you have a way to protect yourself, use it (that's literally the only reason he died. No one suggested using his defensive mechanism, AKA the hard hat).

Not true! There were SEVERAL basic things we could have done to keep Slog alive! Truly, his was an easily preventable death.

I also like how "the last time the POV character died" is a very natural sentence for this game.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Doesn't sound likely; I'm guessing off the screen means out of targeting range.

So am I, but it's worth a shot.

As for the other thing, I'm very dubious that lowering our MP is worth making a new spell solely for the purpose of holding up a lightning spear to beat this one boss we should totally be able to beat normally if we don't screw it up again. I mean really, that's like five steps to attack this one particular boss twice more if everything works like we want it to.

I mean, I'm all for experimentation and improving our arsenal, but not for niche stuff like this unless we have a very concrete, viable plan. Enchanting Riltia's spear to take out Proxxy was a good example of that.
Wut? Many of us seem to like the idea of making a new ice-based skill or two, but we don't know what it will do, and given what the plant one ended up as, it might not be all that directly useful. I suggested a possible use of an ice skill if it isn't just a fire-at-enemy one, not that we should hold out all our hope for it being usable for that. Also, making a bloodshape item is a temporary thing, we can always re-absorb it.

I understand the reasoning behind the permanence, but it seems like we're playing a roguelike as an immortal. Every time we would die we just get crippled more, but there's no way to use the knowledge from our mistakes. We're just stuck failing continuously and wishing we could have a chance to get back to scratch. The scars from our failures just feel crippling to any future achievement. I don't know, I probably just don't understand, but with roguelikes; I always felt that no matter how you died or where, the lesson from that mistake could help you in a future run. But that's not an option here, unless we start another cycle somehow?

Are you seriously saying you HAVEN'T learned how to better abuse the game and survive since the last time the POV character died? Because there is a million ways to use the game mechanics that have been revealed and discovered to keep everyone alive now.

There is a lesson in every deadly mistake in Warrens, and I'm not just talking about the one POV death. Slog's death was probably the biggest lesson: when you have a way to protect yourself, use it (that's literally the only reason he died. No one suggested using his defensive mechanism, AKA the hard hat).

Not true! There were SEVERAL basic things we could have done to keep Slog alive! Truly, his was an easily preventable death.

I also like how "the last time the POV character died" is a very natural sentence for this game.
All too true. We really should have healed him  :'(
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Doesn't sound likely; I'm guessing off the screen means out of targeting range.
So am I, but it's worth a shot.
Pun intended?

As for the other thing, I'm very dubious that lowering our MP is worth making a new spell solely for the purpose of holding up a lightning spear to beat this one boss we should totally be able to beat normally if we don't screw it up again. I mean really, that's like five steps to attack this one particular boss twice more if everything works like we want it to.

I mean, I'm all for experimentation and improving our arsenal, but not for niche stuff like this unless we have a very concrete, viable plan. Enchanting Riltia's spear to take out Proxxy was a good example of that.
Wut? Many of us seem to like the idea of making a new ice-based skill or two, but we don't know what it will do, and given what the plant one ended up as, it might not be all that directly useful. I suggested a possible use of an ice skill if it isn't just a fire-at-enemy one, not that we should hold out all our hope for it being usable for that. Also, making a bloodshape item is a temporary thing, we can always re-absorb it.
And if we use ice and an MP-water-jug, all we lose is:
-MP-water (infinitely replenishable)
-Ice (we just need the Ice Spear and water)
-A glass bottle (sad, but one comes free with each purchase of a Health or Mana Potion)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Brawler Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • -1 Rodent Fighter
    • View Profile

I'm sorry, I barely understood that post myself rereading it. Looking upon it objectively; the reason I had likely been in that mindset is because I was worried about the outcome of this battle due to our inomptimal position. This likely being augmented by a fear that we had screwed up irrevocably in not only this fight, but our past mistakes as well. I honestly don't see why I was so worried, as we actually are fairly well off, and assuming we come across some items like we have in the past we'll be able to use them far more effectively with our current knowledge. (Better situational comprehension through controlled emotion, ho!)

TL;DR: Me from 20 minutes ago is a really stupid person.
Dendritic.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Like maybe just not fight a search bot. I mean, if you look back at the archives, at least one character has died literally every time we have fought a search bot. Ciro died during the first search bot fight, Riltia died during the second search bot fight (with Wilford as collateral), Al arguably died during what may or may not have been a third search bot fight, and Slog died during the last search bot fight.

Yaos died directly after the last search bot fight. Coincidence? I think not.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:48:13 pm by freeformschooler »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Why are those robots searchbots? They should be Proxxy's front-line troops.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Brawler Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • -1 Rodent Fighter
    • View Profile

NOTE: Avoid searchbots like the plague. Except don't do that because nobody who tried avoiding the plague succeeded.
Dendritic.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm joking, predicting what the players would hate most on the premise that the most hated person in the Warrens is Al.

Speaking of which, I still have those results from the last poll.

I don't blame 'em.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

NOTE: Avoid searchbots like the plague. Except don't do that because nobody who tried avoiding the plague succeeded.

Actually, at the height of the Black Death the Pope surrounded himself with sacred fire all day and all night, which incidentally kept the rats (and their plague-bearing fleas) away.* But yeah, we really just don't learn.

*My brain assures me this is a True History Fact, but does not provide a citation for where I learned it

FAKEEDIT: Dang, I didn't realize Cherish was that disliked. White Mages usually run away with the popularity contests.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Pun intended?
Not at first.

And if we use ice and an MP-water-jug, all we lose is:
-MP-water (infinitely replenishable)
-Ice (we just need the Ice Spear and water)
-A glass bottle (sad, but one comes free with each purchase of a Health or Mana Potion)
I wonder if we could pour the water into the Skill Tree and not lose the bottle?

Brawler Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • -1 Rodent Fighter
    • View Profile

I wonder if we could pour the water into the Skill Tree and not lose the bottle?

That's just abstract enough to work! Also, I just realised how fantastic an ice spell would be! Those robots probably have very poor traction as it is, a patch of icy ground would probably make them almost entirely impotent.
Dendritic.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Also, I just realised how fantastic an ice spell would be! Those robots probably have very poor traction as it is, a patch of icy ground would probably make them almost entirely impotent.
Searchbots 1234 V: The revengening.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Grease is easily one of the best spells in low-level D&D. Sounds like a plan.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile

I'm officially having mixed opinions about the continuation of this game.

It seems like every single time there's an open-ended choice (aka every choice), we pick the dumbest possible option, and none of us at all can manage to think far enough outside the box to come up with something with a feasible chance at working. Furthermore, our chances of success are diminished further because we're all bickering and trying to shoot down/upvote each others idiotic plans.

But the few times we DO start thinking, we overthink the solution by ten thousand miles, and do something equally stupid. If not more stupid.

I personally don't see any option we can take at this point that doesn't result in the death of somebody. At this point, I'm seriously considering leaving Goombess to die, just because it would be less of a hit than losing Ciro or Cherish. Or both of them. Hell, I don't even think the Astral Influx can save us at this point.

I'm also not sure how my general sentiment is, on the whole of this game. While it's kind of funny to watch the MC fail hilariously, not only have our recent failures been the antithesis of hilarious, it's not fun to watch the MCs have just failure after failure and descend irrevocably into death, spiraling into the abyss, never catching a break, and being doomed to end in demise, with a penultimate success for the villains. I recall early on that it was mentioned we had ended up, not in a grimdark campaign, but in a Shakespearian tragedy. It's looking more and more like we're going to fulfill every bit of that mandate, down to a TPK and victory for Oric and his cronies.

:(
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh come on, we only just got on the open-ended path.  We're practically still in the tutorial.  There are another like eight levels.  The fail-train has really only been rolling since sl... since slo... *cough* since sloooo... since that one bad thing happened.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1544