Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69717 times)

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #900 on: February 07, 2013, 01:14:22 am »

So is punching them in the face. So is talking them down. So is kicking them in the groin. So is running the fuck away, which is usually the smartest option. So on and so on.

I weigh about 110 pounds and I am not trained in martial arts. If I am not armed with a weapon superior to that of my attacker's, I am vulnerable to being robbed, injured or killed, or raped.

If someone is willing to invade my home, they are not going to be talked down, nor will I have the ability to run away.

Given the choice between being a victim and being a survivor, I will choose the latter. If this bothers you, then I feel sorry for you and I sincerely do hope that nobody chooses to capitalize on your voluntary weakness.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:16:10 am by Aerie »
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 07, 2013, 01:15:58 am »

I weigh about 110 pounds and I am not trained in martial arts. If I am not armed with a weapon superior to that of my attacker's, I am vulnerable to being robbed, injured or killed, or raped.

Go to a public safety lecture sometime.  They have about a million suggestions on ways to protect yourself.  Guns aren't on that list.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 07, 2013, 01:16:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That would the evidence you desire. I don't know you, so I don't know if you're being sincere or just trolling. But either way? This is not okay. If you're being sincere, this kind of stuff is not how you have an intelligent conversation. This stuff is what you use on the street-corner or in the political arena, not on a forum like Bay12.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have put all this together. And this is just stuff I've seen, I didn't go into your post history any further than what I've read from you.

I don't have a satisfactory concluding sentence, so have this picture of a turtle eating a strawberry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 07, 2013, 01:16:45 am »

This does not make the statement any less correct. If I am not armed with a weapon superior to that of my attacker's, I am vulnerable to being robbed, injured or killed, or raped.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:19:02 am by Aerie »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 07, 2013, 01:18:32 am »

Go to a public safety lecture sometime.  They have about a million suggestions on ways to protect yourself.  Guns aren't on that list.

This does not make the statement any less correct. If I am not armed with a weapon superior to that of my attacker's, I am vulnerable to being robbed, injured or killed, or raped.
You're right, your statement is correct. It's also kind of meaningless - if you are armed with a weapon superior to that of your attacker's, you are still vulnerable to being robbed, injured, killed, or raped.

EDIT: In similar news, if you are not carrying a ball of moldy onions in your pocket, you are vulnerable to being robbed, injured, killed, or raped.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 07, 2013, 01:19:27 am »

If A then B doesn't actually mean much if B is always true.

Edit: Ninjaed. And I should really be ignoring this person anyways but arrrrgh

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 07, 2013, 01:19:49 am »

So, what would you do? Shoot them immediately?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 07, 2013, 01:19:58 am »

Which is irrelevant.  A gun won't protect you.  But it will make you likely to threaten an innocent person who looks at you funny and then talk about how brave you were later.

In danger?  Run.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 07, 2013, 01:22:07 am »

A gun won't protect you.

Can you cite any evidence that supports this claim?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 07, 2013, 01:22:15 am »

You're vulnerable to being shot by a insane sniper dude on a building anytime you walk out, are you never going to leave your house? How about fire? The house could be burned down. And Bunkers aren't as FBI proof as they once seemed. Just go into space. Oh wait, meteors. You're vulnerable to aliens too. just shoot yourself now. Best die DIY right? ain't no vulnerablities in death.

I'm just going to say that New York has the strictest Gun laws in the nation, and currently the crime rate in the bronx is lower then the entire rate of many other cities. The Bronx. only 400 murders in the entire city last year, in a city of 8 million. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

It may just be the NY is awesome...

Also, this thread should die. Someone take a gun to it's head. Oh wait, you guys are already on that. Nevermind, carry on.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #910 on: February 07, 2013, 01:24:22 am »

If someone is willing to invade my home, they are not going to be talked down, nor will I have the ability to run away.

Obviously we need the right to arm our homes with booby traps then.  A few well placed traps can be incredibly efficient, and most common burglars are thugs and don't put points into disarm trap.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 07, 2013, 01:24:57 am »

In danger?  Run.
Incidentally, it should be pointed out that if you have time to draw a gun, you have time to run (barring extraordinary circumstances - I apologize if you are a paraplegic, Aerie). In the time it will take your attacker to draw their weapon and train it on you, you can be far enough away that they will almost certainly not be able to hit you, assuming there are no convenient corners to duck behind. If they already have a weapon ready to use on you, you're already done, and trying to draw your own will result in your immediate injury or death (possibly followed immediately by robbery or rape).

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/behind-the-curtain-gop-fox-political-purge-87293.html?hp=t1

Beware, it's actual politcis on display, as per the definition. Seems like right media is takign down the most hard-core of their ranks.
This is a good thing. I'd like to see an approach toward sanity in rhetoric, even though I know we'll never reach it and never have.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:45 am »

So, what would you do? Shoot them immediately?

If they present a threat to my life or health or the life or health of another human being, the first thing to do would be to command them to stop and state your intent to shoot if they do not comply.

If they do not comply, and they are still threatening your life or another's life, and there is no danger of collateral damage, then fire.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 07, 2013, 01:26:03 am »

No one commented on my tiny strawberry-eating turtle! :<
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 07, 2013, 01:26:45 am »

No one commented on my tiny strawberry-eating turtle! :<
It's small, and inferior to my bluberry-throwing chimp.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:28:52 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 66