Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69954 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #615 on: January 25, 2013, 09:18:20 am »

Yeah I forgot about the old selective fatalism argument

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 25, 2013, 09:18:58 am »

If guns are used for murder, even if you insist that murder would happen anyway, then yes they do enable murder.  Are you going to contest that guns are used for murder?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 25, 2013, 09:20:05 am »

Let's not forget that this legislation is primarily directed at people running amok. Those guys aren't hardened criminals; they're basically normal people who went a little bit crazy. Denying them the opportunity to do that much damage goes hand in hand with denying normal people the opportunity to obtain weapons with which they could do that much damage.
Claiming that banning high-capacity magazines will not stop bank robberies or gang warfare and is therefore useless is plain BS and, to be honest, a pretty bad strawman argument.

But in both cases of the worst school shootings (people running amok) that happened over the last year or so that caused Obama to look at gun control, the guys were very well prepared indeed and, at least in James Holmes' case, were able to purchase some pretty high-end weaponry off the internet. I can't quite remember if the site that Holmes was using to get all that ammunition was completely illegal but I'm sure his useage of it was. The crazies that are going to go out and shoot people are either going to be (in my opinion) hardcore enough to get whatever they need off the internet, or if they're too unstable to plan stuff, they'll just use your common household shotgun/handgun like the last few kids we've had in New Mexico/Taft. Notice Obama is doing zilch to regulate those.

Ask yourself how many times people that run amok in the USA have actually needed to use a magazine with 50+ ammo capacity? When compared with the number of mass murderers who use handguns. I'm telling you - this is a half-assed law designed to appease the masses and make the Obama administration look good without actually making any real impact on American gun culture.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:29:48 am by Owlbread »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #618 on: January 25, 2013, 09:24:21 am »

Guns don't enable murder either.
Regardless of your position on gun regulation I don't see how you can say that when the primary purpose of a firearm is to fire lethal projectiles. They have literally no other practical use other than to kill, and they have limited recreational use compared to say, a ball. They may not cause murder, but certainly they are particularly well-suited for it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 25, 2013, 09:31:34 am »

Uh, well the real reason banning high capacity magazines is dumb is because it's trivially simple to bypass these days. I'm not entirely sure of the legality, but chances are a ban would result in (serious) criminals just printing themselves high capacity magazines using 3D printers while law abiding citizens would have none.

Oh, and the other reason is because they're a red herring. They've got a tendency to jam more frequently and have a variety of downsides besides that. It's about as effective as banning gun metal grey paint.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 25, 2013, 09:40:10 am »

Uh, well the real reason banning high capacity magazines is dumb is because it's trivially simple to bypass these days. I'm not entirely sure of the legality, but chances are a ban would result in (serious) criminals just printing themselves high capacity magazines using 3D printers while law abiding citizens would have none.

Oh, and the other reason is because they're a red herring. They've got a tendency to jam more frequently and have a variety of downsides besides that. It's about as effective as banning gun metal grey paint.

Exactly, it's bullshit. I'm surprised some of the people here are apparently letting themselves get duped by it. The problem with the Sandy Hook shooter's weaponry too is that most standard magazines for the gun can hold about 25-30 rounds. Adam Lanza however did that thing where he tied two clips together so he could reload more quickly. How are you going to stop that?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:43:48 am by Owlbread »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 25, 2013, 09:45:45 am »

I wasn't talking about high capacity magazines, and 3D printed guns are really shitty.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #622 on: January 25, 2013, 09:51:10 am »

Exactly, it's bullshit. I'm surprised some of the people here are apparently letting themselves get duped by it.
Well that's a condescending attitude to take. It is bullshit, but it's bullshit that has an immediate and obvious appeal. People would want to avoid reloading during mass killings. That's why people will support the measure even though it wouldn't be effective regulation. And there is at least one reasonable argument against them, which is what legitimate purpose is there for a civilian to own a 100 round magazine? Especially since they suck.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 25, 2013, 09:53:29 am »

No but you see owning a 100 round magazine is exactly the same thing as using the internet.

Fuck it I'm completely lost, I'll just go make an analogy-land thread.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 25, 2013, 09:54:58 am »

Exactly, it's bullshit. I'm surprised some of the people here are apparently letting themselves get duped by it.
Well that's a condescending attitude to take. It is bullshit, but it's bullshit that has an immediate and obvious appeal. People would want to avoid reloading during mass killings. That's why people will support the measure even though it wouldn't be effective regulation. And there is at least one reasonable argument against them, which is what legitimate purpose is there for a civilian to own a 100 round magazine? Especially since they suck.

But there's no good reason to ban them. What, are we going to ban swords now? Bayonets? The only purpose of those objects is to hurt people/kill them. Why would an ordinary civilian ever need them?

Mass killers will barely, if ever, use 100+ mags; we'd be looking at another North Hollywood Shootout if they did, which is both unlikely and of the sort that involves criminals so hardcore they won't give a damn about a law like that. The real problem is that it lets the Obama administration off the hook when they could be implementing some kind of meaningful legislation; like increased psychological testing and heavy regulation of handguns.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:57:51 am by Owlbread »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #625 on: January 25, 2013, 09:57:48 am »

If guns are used for murder, even if you insist that murder would happen anyway, then yes they do enable murder.  Are you going to contest that guns are used for murder?

No, I would not argue that guns are not used for murder. But the number of circumstances where murder is enabled by guns where no alternative weapons suitable is vanishingly small.

Exactly, it's bullshit. I'm surprised some of the people here are apparently letting themselves get duped by it. The problem with the Sandy Hook shooter's weaponry too is that most standard magazines for the gun can hold about 25-30 rounds. Adam Lanza however did that thing where he tied two clips together so he could reload more quickly. How are you going to stop that?

High capacity magazines are not that significant of a problem to a dedicated shooter. The columbine shooter didn't have 30 or higher round magazines, he just brought more 10 round magazines with him.

If one accepts the concept of property, you don't have to demonstrate a legitimate purpose to own an object.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 25, 2013, 10:00:22 am »

No, I would not argue that guns are not used for murder. But the number of circumstances where murder is enabled by guns where no alternative weapons suitable is vanishingly small.
Crimes of passion exist blah blah blah blah blah

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #627 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:52 am »

But there's no good reason to ban them. What, are we going to ban swords now? Bayonets? The only purpose of those objects is to hurt people/kill them. Why would an ordinary civilian ever need them?
Bayonets are obviously historical and therefore relevant to collectors. Also, I won't be surprised if bayonets are put on the chopping block too. Weren't they included in the ASB? Anyway, I'd figured you'd gotten the point of my post until that edit, but I wasn't arguing for high capacity magazine bans, just pointing out that people aren't stupid because they support them.

I agree with the real problem with legislation like this is that lawmakers get to look like they've done something. But honestly I think the chances of us passing actually effective regulation are exceedingly small.

Ok that is a really minor quibble over wording. Also, the word enable doesn't mean that there couldn't have been any other alternatives, generally it just means "provided the means to accomplish," which hey, guns do.

But hey! Semantics!! :D

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 25, 2013, 10:12:36 am »

And there is at least one reasonable argument against them, which is what legitimate purpose is there for a civilian to own a 100 round magazine? Especially since they suck.
Here's a hint-  if even the people that want to BAN GUNS think your argument is insulting bullshit antithetical to the very concept of a free society, lacking any sort of coherent reason or real justification, then your argument is probably bullshit

"Why shouldn't it be illegal" is a terrible point of view, and never the right question to ask. If you have to fall back on it, it means you've conceded defeat, that you can't possible conceive of a reason that could justify banning them so you have to push the burden of "necessity" onto the opposition.

So stop it - you're making anti-gun folk look bad. "With friends like you, who needs enemies?"

Quote from: Nadaka
But the number of circumstances where murder is enabled by guns where no alternative weapons suitable is vanishingly small.
This is... a powerful claim, that doesn't seem to jive with most of the evidence I've seen. Do you have any actual sources for this claim? I'll look for some details on it when I get a chance later, but it does seem contrary to what I've heard so far.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 25, 2013, 10:16:25 am »

Bayonets are obviously historical and therefore relevant to collectors. Also, I won't be surprised if bayonets are put on the chopping block too. Weren't they included in the ASB? Anyway, I'd figured you'd gotten the point of my post until that edit, but I wasn't arguing for high capacity magazine bans, just pointing out that people aren't stupid because they support them.

I agree with the real problem with legislation like this is that lawmakers get to look like they've done something. But honestly I think the chances of us passing actually effective regulation are exceedingly small.

But so too are 50+ ammo magazines. I'm sure that was the figure Biden was referring to. If you take them away then gun collectors (who are just as nutty as people who collect swords and bayonets, that includes myself) will suffer all the same.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 66