Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69923 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #645 on: January 25, 2013, 05:59:38 pm »

I've been thinking of the handgun issue... and instead of banning them outright, which would be unfeasible, would it be acceptable to up the requirements? After all, they don't just lead in homicides,they lead in accidental deaths too, and it would be great to try and insure that only responsible gun owners could purchase them.

Perhaps, in order to purchase a handgun, you need to own another weapon for a period of 5 years without any issues or infractions, pass a safety and personal security course to dispel some of the common misconceptions around them, and demonstrate the ability at the range to fire one safely and accurately enough that if you ever DO need to use one for self defense you won't be as much a menace to everyone else in the process.

Would this be acceptable/constitutional?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #646 on: January 25, 2013, 06:58:40 pm »

I've been thinking of the handgun issue... and instead of banning them outright, which would be unfeasible, would it be acceptable to up the requirements? After all, they don't just lead in homicides,they lead in accidental deaths too, and it would be great to try and insure that only responsible gun owners could purchase them.

Perhaps, in order to purchase a handgun, you need to own another weapon for a period of 5 years without any issues or infractions, pass a safety and personal security course to dispel some of the common misconceptions around them, and demonstrate the ability at the range to fire one safely and accurately enough that if you ever DO need to use one for self defense you won't be as much a menace to everyone else in the process.

Would this be acceptable/constitutional?

I don't know if that would be constitutional, it could be for some interpretations, it wouldn't be for others. All the state waiting periods I know of are in the range of 3 or 5 days. 5 years is a pretty big stretch. Unlike a ban, it isn't a permanent restriction on the right to bear arms. But it is a major restriction that goes far beyond any existing waiting period.

The other aspects of the proposal generally fall under gun control laws promoting responsible ownership, and I don't have a problem with them. A lot of people would, but many of them believe that all federal firearms laws of any kind are unconstitutional.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 25, 2013, 07:47:35 pm »

And, in fact, I'd argue that they're right. When we adopted the 2nd Amendment, the purpose was to make sure that the average citizen had access to the sort of firepower the government had...a musket.

Federal weapons bans are definitely unconstitutional. The problem, though, is still keeping the 2nd Amendment around.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 25, 2013, 08:05:29 pm »

And, in fact, I'd argue that they're right. When we adopted the 2nd Amendment, the purpose was to make sure that the average citizen had access to the sort of firepower the government had...a musket.

Federal weapons bans are definitely unconstitutional. The problem, though, is still keeping the 2nd Amendment around.

Sure according to the reading of the day.  But for most of american history it wouldn't be the slightest problem, what with that handy militia clause.  My prediction is a few decades down the line they supreme court will do a second backsies and the individual right to bear arms will soon be forgotten by all but the wingnuts.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 26, 2013, 12:39:43 am »

This is not a Guns thread, this is politics thread. Politics in the US are not solely about guns, despite what some of you may believe. Therefore, again, this is off-topic. I move for execution of the offeding parties.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 26, 2013, 12:45:21 am »

This is not a Guns thread, this is politics thread. Politics in the US are not solely about guns, despite what some of you may believe. Therefore, again, this is off-topic. I move for execution of the offeding parties.

By lethal injection...

of lead... 

with a gun.

But there should be thorough deliberation on what kind of gun.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 26, 2013, 01:50:34 am »

Death by firing squad is illegal. Probably because it's too awesome. Also injection of lead. Therefore, You;'re refering to another country, ehich means it's not the US, which means it's off topic, which means off to Virginia with you mofo.

And in general a military rifle, not assualt mind you, an actual military rifle.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:24:52 am by misko27 »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 26, 2013, 03:12:01 am »

Anonymous has hacked the United States Sentencing Commission site, supposedly because of Aaron Swartz's suicide. They claim to possess some very sensitive information that they're going to release over the next few days.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:36:15 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 26, 2013, 09:36:48 am »

There's a very real possibility of Sweater Vest 2: Electric Boogaloo.

By god, I hope he gets the nomination.

Also, an education proposal I'm ambivalent about. It's certainly a good idea to make parents more responsible in their kids' education, with sticks as well as carrots if need be, but I also feel like this is the wrong way to do it...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:38:39 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:52 am »

So, MSH, you're saying they defaced a poster and threatened to reveal what learned from looking through the windows? Ohnoes! :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 26, 2013, 10:07:33 am »

Well, on the one hand, conditional cash transfers have done wonders in countries like Brazil, and something like it could work to get parent involved.
On the other hand, I'm not sure what many poor parents can do. Poors tend not to be educated, and apart from forcing their kids to work, there isn't much they can do to help them. Moreover, grades can be affected by a host of other factors, or learning disabilities, so it seems kinda arbitrary.

And finally, TANF only cover 2 % of the population, so anything that goes through TANF ain't going to have much of an effect.

All in all, while giving families a financial incentive in their kids' success seems like a good idea, this is electoralist welfare-bashing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 26, 2013, 11:08:20 am »

threatened to reveal what learned from looking through the windows?
This one could potentially mean something, actually :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18:42 am »

Also, an education proposal I'm ambivalent about. It's certainly a good idea to make parents more responsible in their kids' education, with sticks as well as carrots if need be, but I also feel like this is the wrong way to do it...
Yeah, actually read that after Sheb chimed in. Frankly, there's nothing to be ambivalent about -- that is an incredibly shitty proposal. Want to know one of the primary contributing factor to low grades are? Parents in a poor financial situation. Want to know how to not fucking ameliorate that factor? Put the parents in a worse financial situation (which, hey, directly puts the kids into a worse situation, too!). That proposal has "I didn't think for two goddamn seconds before opening my idiot mouth" written all over it.

Incentives may be a good thing to have, but sticks of that nature are blatantly counterproductive. There might be room for penalties for poor child performance, but it's going to have to be penalties that don't openly contribute to a known primary cause of said poor performance.

Seriously, good gods alive, someone hit the guy proposing that measure with an idiot bat, like, fifty times in a row. What the hell!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 26, 2013, 11:43:26 am »

In Brazil they don't tie welfare to school performance, they have an additional cash transfer tied to school attendance being at least 85%.  That's a far, far cry from linking it to grades.  The entire point to the Brasil program is that the requirements are extremely loose because they aren't trying to judge people, they're trying to help the nearly half the population that was in poverty before this program began.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66