Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Eugenics  (Read 16922 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenics
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 11:12:20 am »

Eugenics: in my view any level is unacceptable.

But to me, eugenics is the idea that certain people are "inferior" and should not breed, and alternatively that certain people are "superior" and should breed more.
From a purely objective standpoint certain people are geneticaly inferior. Though it is important to note that genetics are hardly the measure of a person. There are certainly genetic traits we should as a species be encouraging and other traits that we should be discouraging the spread of. But the problem lies in deciding which is which, what should be encouraged or discouraged? Who gets the power to decide something like that? That is what makes me uncomfortable about this topic.
I believe we have a moral duty to do anything we can to improve our species but am naturaly agaisnt seeing such things being abused.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 11:24:53 am »

- Having two legs means we are actually one of the fastest animals over short distances
Wait, what? Humans are nowhere near the top speed bracket in the African savannah. I thought the advantage of bipedalism is that it's more energy efficient. If there's one thing that's useful on short distances it's our manoeuvrability, being able to jump sideway like we can is great for dodging.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:26:52 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2013, 11:31:44 am »

- Having two legs means we are actually one of the fastest animals over short distances
Wait, what? Humans are nowhere near the top speed bracket in the African savannah. I thought the advantage of bipedalism is that it's more energy efficient. If there's one thing that's useful on short distances it's our manoeuvrability, being able to jump sideway like we can is great for dodging.
And quick acceleration to constant speed.

Really and truly, any ANimal breeding program is eugenics....
And many people still follow the practice of breeding animals for strange or helpful traits like:
Horses:Speed, endurance, rank
Dogs:Pure bred, Endurance, Hunting, Fighting
Cats:Fur, Lovability
Chickens: Size of certain cuts
Cows: ability to retain fat,size
Rats: Ability to withstand testing/disease

And many other random experiments with breeding frogs, chickens,bturkeys for strange results

Animal husbandry. People aren't livestock; most of the traits bred are beneficiary only to humans to use to exploit them.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2013, 11:32:20 am »

So instead of trying to make the whole human race better. You want to make sub human slave races?

How exactly would this make sub-human slaves? Why wouldn't it result in super-human prodigies?

Does the fact that some people are bigger and stronger "enslave" them to the weightlifting circuit? Does a gift for mathematics "enslave" someone to Academia?

Honestly, this sort of contention makes no sense at all. How would this lead to sub-human slave races? They would still be 100% human by any reasonable definition, in the same way a greyhound and a poodle are both 100% dog.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:31 am »

So instead of trying to make the whole human race better. You want to make sub human slave races?

How exactly would this make sub-human slaves? Why wouldn't it result in super-human prodigies?

Does the fact that some people are bigger and stronger "enslave" them to the weightlifting circuit? Does a gift for mathematics "enslave" someone to Academia?

Honestly, this sort of contention makes no sense at all. How would this lead to sub-human slave races? They would still be 100% human by any reasonable definition, in the same way a greyhound and a poodle are both 100% dog.
You should read Brave New World to see some examples.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 12:04:51 pm »

"Short distances" were the key words (50m or less).  Humans can accelerate faster than most other animals even if the top speed is lower.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2013, 12:30:18 pm »

"Short distances" were the key words (50m or less).  Humans can accelerate faster than most other animals even if the top speed is lower.
We also have the advantage over long distances. Humans can walk in a line for days if need be, a trait found in almost no other species. We domesticated wolves in part because they were one of the only species with enough muscular endurance to hunt with us in this manner.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2013, 12:33:02 pm »

You should read Brave New World to see some examples.
In the end it is said that the 'academics' are shipped off to special islands that are purely populated by them; a sort of campus, if you will. That kind of reconciled me with the whole idea - it means that all people can be happy, after all.

Except for the savages. That's real despicable, keeping them in reservations.

We also have the advantage over long distances. Humans can walk in a line for days if need be, a trait found in almost no other species. We domesticated wolves in part because they were one of the only species with enough muscular endurance to hunt with us in this manner.
Making the prey collapse from exhaustion FTW! I guess this was a big boon for mankind after settling down as well: YYou need to be pretty enduring to farm all day.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2013, 01:55:27 pm »

Gay people do have kids.

I'm willing to bet that most gay people who have conceived did so before they learned they were gay, or, at least, before they came out of the closet. Sterilizing such people is like cutting off the horse's balls after it's left the barn, or however that saying goes.

For gay men.
For lesbians.

edit: dang it eagleon
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:58:57 pm by penguinofhonor »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2013, 02:00:45 pm »

Why is this still being discussed? It's not as if we know enough about it to begin with, and things are already being ugly.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2013, 02:01:32 pm »

Why is this still being discussed? It's not as if we know enough about it to begin with, and things are already being ugly.
For the greater good of humanity?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2013, 02:04:19 pm »

I would have thought that we had an idea of what we'd be achieving to begin with? We don't seem to be bringing much of anything new to it, simply the abuses which we're all well familiar with.
Reading a thinner book

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2013, 02:05:17 pm »

I am... not sure what you are trying to say, or even exactly what you are talking about, to be honest.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2013, 02:08:55 pm »

At Bay12 we often talk about a lot of completely terrible and completely pointless things.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 02:09:59 pm »

Well, let's move to the more interesting chunks, shall we? For one thing, species wide implementation or nothing. In a ww3 scenario, i could justify it amongst the military with strict controls.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11