Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Eugenics  (Read 16919 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenics
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 02:03:11 am »

Most mutations are benign, neither helpful or harmful to any great extent. Your average person has about 128 mutated genes, in the sense that they were incorrectly copied during meiosis and can be found in neither parents. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 02:10:23 am »

I have no idea what movie you were referring to. :c
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 02:24:47 am »

Good.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 03:12:36 am »

* MetalSlimeHunt presses the button, plunging greatorder through a convenient trapdoor.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 03:14:29 am »

Idiocracy? I think maybe?

Which I am fairly sure was a satire if anything and to be honest I have never seen anyone take it seriously, but according to MSH it is?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 03:16:49 am »

Now you've done it, all is lost. Yes, you will find hordes of people who take that movie seriously and think it is portraying a real possibility.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 03:28:02 am »

Oh please, that was ridicluous. "The scientists were too busy attempting to make longer monkey dicks to prevent the spread of stupid". That's just sad.
Every culture idolizes the one before, and think the one after is worse.

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 03:40:39 am »

...Leave it to the one German on the forums to create a thread about eugenics.
Love, scriver~

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 04:05:52 am »

Now you've done it, all is lost. Yes, you will find hordes of people who take that movie seriously and think it is portraying a real possibility.
Oh, I thought you were talking about Gattaca. Saying "that movie" isn't very specific.
Piff. Yeah right. I bet about 40% of America right now would vote yes on sterilization of homosexuals.
What the hell does sterilizing homosexuals have to do with eugenics? Bisexuals, I can maybe understand, but, if my understanding of the matter is correct, those of the strictly homosexual persuasion don't tend to put themselves in the position to impregnate or be impregnated by anybody.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 04:12:24 am »

1: That does not really matter. Eugenicists are not normally thinking with logic anyway.

2: Gay people do have kids.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 04:34:38 am »

Either this is a joke, that simply isn't funny or I'm speechless.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 04:54:31 am »

I think it's because helgoland made an intersting error. Simply pointing it out. I however will throw blame at him for perpetuating outdated imperialist dogma and oppressing the masses. But that's just me.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:28 am »

1: That does not really matter. Eugenicists are not normally thinking with logic anyway.

2: Gay people do have kids.
1. I'll give you that, but 2. I'm willing to bet that most gay people who have conceived did so before they learned they were gay, or, at least, before they came out of the closet. Sterilizing such people is like cutting off the horse's balls after it's left the barn, or however that saying goes.

Is Helgoland really our only German?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 05:23:28 am »

i know at least another one, and i doubt he would be unconfortable if i mentioned him, but i'd rather not bring up his name in a thread he might not be aware of and etc.

yea, ptw. i'm half expecting a shit-storm eventually

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 05:24:45 am »

Heh, I started a thread about this a while back and it was locked in a few days.

Eugenics doesn't work in practice. Not being born is worse than inheriting a fatal genetic disorder. It's an interesting concept, but like the right to vote, everyone will insist that they're good enough for it.

Plus, people with disorders are often some of the best at what they do. Humans are probably some of the weakest animals in history - no claws, no poison, slow, babies take too long to become not helpless. But because of this weakness, they mastered tools.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11