Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Sony PS4 DRM?  (Read 17329 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Sony PS4 DRM?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 06:57:24 pm »

It isn't illegal if they just make the game incapable of being used on other machines. You can sell it all you want.
But it's the licences themselves that are being sold. That licence that permits the holder use. Preventative measures are verboten.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 06:57:52 pm »

On one hand, I don't use consoles, so I don't care.

On the other, when you buy a used game, Sony, and the developer, and the publisher, get all of zero dollars.  They have no obligation not to fuck with you.  So I don't care.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:32 pm »

It isn't illegal if they just make the game incapable of being used on other machines. You can sell it all you want.
But it's the licences themselves that are being sold. That licence that permits the holder use. Preventative measures are verboten.

Sorta, in some countries it isn't a licence being sold.

Games work on quasi-law.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 07:05:51 pm »

It seems that software and game developing companies are following a completely different path from what the EU legislative tendencies are. Several european courts consider this an offense to consumer rights because it basicaly means you are buying something that does not effectively become your property, and you aren't even able to resell it due to that.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 07:11:09 pm »

I suppose this would entirely kick me off of consoles in the next gen...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 07:11:16 pm »

Ah, well.

When is it OK to lynch these guys again? I'm pretty sure we past the barriers of jerkishness, immorality, and unconstitutionality (US, Canada, EU, etc.) years ago.
What exactly makes the limit to anti-customer behaviour? When does it become "too stupid" or "too much"?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 07:13:45 pm »

I guess Nintendo will win the next console war. You're our only hope now.  :'(

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 07:18:53 pm »

So, sony and microsoft are being dicks.
What else is new?

Yeah but usually they arn't this brave.

This is basically them killing the resale market because they like money.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »

Not to sound like a right bastard, but I'm pretty sure most of this is the same as the anti - EA rants.

"This is terrible! The death of gaming etc.! I'm never buying a console again OMG GEARS FOUR IS THAT YOU COME BACK TO ME MICROSOFT ALL IS FORGIVEN"

I.e. we all grumble, get used to it, and live with it. Some people say they will never associate with group X ever again, about ~90% of those people immediately forget their vows when convenient. I, for one, dislike what this move by Sony entails but to be honest it's kind of fair game. If the game companies treat it like piracy, you can see why - both result in a loss of revenue for the developer. In some cases, you may say resale is worse - a third party is profitting from your game.

Apologies if that came off as rude; I can't tell if it's meant to at the moment. Consult me after my period of mental stoicism is over (T minus 12 hours probs.)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 07:25:26 pm »

Not to sound like a right bastard, but I'm pretty sure most of this is the same as the anti - EA rants.

"This is terrible! The death of gaming etc.! I'm never buying a console again OMG GEARS FOUR IS THAT YOU COME BACK TO ME MICROSOFT ALL IS FORGIVEN"

I.e. we all grumble, get used to it, and live with it. Some people say they will never associate with group X ever again, about ~90% of those people immediately forget their vows when convenient. I, for one, dislike what this move by Sony entails but to be honest it's kind of fair game. If the game companies treat it like piracy, you can see why - both result in a loss of revenue for the developer. In some cases, you may say resale is worse - a third party is profitting from your game.

Apologies if that came off as rude; I can't tell if it's meant to at the moment. Consult me after my period of mental stoicism is over (T minus 12 hours probs.)
Well I'm still get the next PlayStation it suck but yeah I'll just have to deal with it  :'(
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 07:26:19 pm »

You are basically making the same arguement I made for Devil May Cry (the new one) Korbac

People may be disapointed with it but anything can be forgiven if it is good.

The PS4 will have no resale, but if it is good people will forgive it.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:37 pm »

Even if Sony bants out resold games and Microsoft doesn't there is the teeny matter of Xbox Live Gold...

Bro's Neon and Alk : +++

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 07:29:29 pm »

This is basically them killing the resale market because they like money.
Y'know, this line kinda' made me think. Why don't these guys just go, "Fuck it." and jump into the resale market themselves? You'd think if they actually liked money they'd be going, "Well damn. A whole 'nother market to corner. Let's got some value-added up in this joint and rock the house."

But no. Instead they want to alienate customers and prevent a fairly gratuitous amount of people from being able to participate in the markets they are in.

Seems silly to me.

And they're kinda' banking on that (literally), Korb. The other side of the coin is that, yeah, 90% may come back, but that 10%'s gone. And next bugger-up they lose 10% of what's left. And then they do it again, slowly chasing people out of the markets they participate in. It's... not good business, I'd say.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 07:31:14 pm »

That is a good point why don't they sell used game...
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 07:40:31 pm »

Maybe this will result in the PC side of gaming regaining a little of its clout.  I'm thoroughly fucking sick of everything except indie games being designed for consoles first.

Also, the PS3 and 360 both convinced me not to buy a Sony or Microsoft console ever.  In my opinion, they're horrible pointless systems.  They're pretty up front about the fact that they only exist so that those companies can have a proprietary format under their control.  Nintendo makes an effort to design their consoles to offer a unique experience that a PC can't offer.  Sony and Microsoft are just upgrade their hardware and make their systems more and more like stunted PCs.  The next generation is literally going to be "this is simply a PC in every way shape and form except we control everything you're allowed to do with it."  Why bother?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13