Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 16791 times)

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homosexuality
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 05:57:11 pm »

If it's done properly, I'd give it full support.

But if we're in a state where we need core features still done, and there's really no point in different sexualities being represented besides the "Urist McMan is secretly married to Urist McBigman"....nah, not worth it. Not until the random poetry generator is introduced into the game.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 09:35:12 pm »

there are no different gender rolls in df and they also seam to be a very tolerant and secular society , so i imagine homosexuality would be mor common then in real life. however Df is supposed to be a high fantasy simulator  and does homosexuality realy fit into high fantasy.

for example if the king asked you to save his wife who had bean kidnapped by goblins fine, but if he asked you to save his husband that would feal weird to me.

if it was implimented it would have to be done carfuly posibly after interspeceis relationships

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 09:39:26 pm »

there are no different gender rolls in df and they also seam to be a very tolerant and secular society , so i imagine homosexuality would be mor common then in real life. however Df is supposed to be a high fantasy simulator  and does homosexuality realy fit into high fantasy.
I think it does.
for example if the king asked you to save his wife who had bean kidnapped by goblins fine, but if he asked you to save his husband that would feal weird to me.
It wouldn't for me.

Again, I really think Toady should hold off until Relationships, Courtship, and other things of that nature are added.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 03:11:32 am »

I would be kind of silly in the current version.
But once the personality rewrite comes around and people start being more than just random excerpts from the amorphous mass that is their respective civilization, implementing sexual orientation would make sense. And judging from Toady's comments on the matter  it will probably be added.

Dangerous Beans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 07:38:47 pm »

I think this is a really bad idea, for the same reasons as having real world religions in the game would be: no matter what you do you are going to offend someone.
LGBT issues are sensitive topics, including them is going to distract from the core overly-detailed-dwarf/elf-murder-simulator gameplay and will either piss off the homo/transphobes (if it is a positive portrayal) or piss off us queer people (if a negative portrayal). It's a no win situation.

Also i would point out that Toady One doesn't really have the knowledge (AFAIK) to deal with these issues. He will get something wrong.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:41:37 pm by Dangerous Beans »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 12:01:31 pm »

I think this is a really bad idea, for the same reasons as having real world religions in the game would be: no matter what you do you are going to offend someone.
LGBT issues are sensitive topics, including them is going to distract from the core overly-detailed-dwarf/elf-murder-simulator gameplay and will either piss off the homo/transphobes (if it is a positive portrayal) or piss off us queer people (if a negative portrayal). It's a no win situation.

Also i would point out that Toady One doesn't really have the knowledge (AFAIK) to deal with these issues. He will get something wrong.

Pissing off the homophobes sounds like a win to me, and toady doesn't exactly strike me as wanting them to play his game. As for negative portrayal, the only thing that could go wrong was if he treated it in a realistic medieval context and people reacted badly, to which i say, options.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:24 pm »

and will either piss off the homo/transphobes (if it is a positive portrayal) or piss off us queer people (if a negative portrayal)

Is it really Toady's fault if he pisses off bigots? The game already has dark-skinned dwarves and we don't see racists bitching about it, and if they did, it wouldn't make Toady including them a bad idea.

Even modern AAA commercial for-profit games released by the largest and most soulless publishers can get away with including homosexuality in their games if it's not politicized. See: The Sims.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 01:00:59 pm »

It isn't the same thing. Including different races doesn't say anything about a race except that they exist.

Including Homosexuals in the game is, in the current political environment, an outright political statement.

Mind you homosexuality in videogames tends to be handled insultingly anyhow... to everyone. Mostly because it tends to be used for shock value.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:03:03 pm by Neonivek »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »

I'll restate my point from the last thread. Toady has a game called liberal crime squad hosted on his website. In it, you shoot conservatives because they are conservatives. He's not afraid to make a political statement.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 01:06:03 pm »

I'll restate my point from the last thread. Toady has a game called liberal crime squad hosted on his website. In it, you shoot conservatives because they are conservatives. He's not afraid to make a political statement.

The game isn't a satire. It is a parody of those "Worst Case scenarios" that are often put against conservatives.

It isn't a game that says what Conservatives or Liberals are. It isn't giving them a real definition.

This is, this is a dirrect political statement and what Toady does with homosexuality in game, if he uses it, will be a real statement.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 01:31:16 pm »

It isn't the same thing. Including different races doesn't say anything about a race except that they exist.

Including Homosexuals in the game is, in the current political environment, an outright political statement.
Why is that any different? How is including homosexuality in the game say anything about it except that it exists?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 01:52:03 pm »

Why is that any different? How is including homosexuality in the game say anything about it except that it exists?

In this game because it is making a statement on nature versus nurture, the normality of such, as well as how many people have it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »

One question does remain. Why?

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 02:04:03 pm »

Dwarf Fortress includes randomly generated details like favorite colors, metals, favorite foods, and even phobias.  The idea that sexual orientation is somehow inappropriate in a game that already allows for tiny, nuanced details that often have little to do with the rest of the game... is well, nuts.

+1 vote for gay dwarves.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 02:25:00 pm »

I suppose it could be linked to an ethics tag, to create civs that are fine with homosexuality, and others that are less fine.

"The War of Shovelling was fought between the Joyous Trumpets and The Grave of Doors. The main point of contention was the acceptability of homosexuality"
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12