Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 16739 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Homosexuality
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 02:51:41 pm »

Just remember FATAL.

Does anyone remember FATAL?

FATAL did this badly, so my advice to Toady is, read FATAL and don't do any of that.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 02:52:14 pm »

The only purpose of the current placeholder romance and sexuality system is to make babies appear. The grand plan for Dwarf Fortress is to let it simulate high fantasy stories, and love is often an important motivation in such stories. So I imagine Toady will eventually create a much expanded romance system with the same attention to detail as seen in all other aspects of the game. Including, of course, such basic things as different sexual orientations.

Would it be a "political statement" to include homosexuality in the game? It would be an even bigger statement to leave it out.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 03:44:13 pm »

Would it be a "political statement" to include homosexuality in the game? It would be an even bigger statement to leave it out.

Now adays? Nope. Leaving it out is pretty neutral.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 04:01:01 pm »

Leaving it out would be like saying that it doesn't fit anywhere in the Dwarf Fortress multiverse. Which would be quite big, given how diverse and all-encompassing Dwarf Fortress aims to be.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 04:01:35 pm »

Leaving it out would be like saying that it doesn't fit anywhere in the Dwarf Fortress multiverse. Which would be quite big, given how diverse and all-encompassing Dwarf Fortress aims to be.

Only through inferrence. It says nothing passively.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:50 pm »

Just remember FATAL.

FATAL did this badly, so my advice to Toady is, read FATAL and don't do any of that.

Roll for anal circumference?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 07:15:35 pm »

I suppose it could be linked to an ethics tag, to create civs that are fine with homosexuality, and others that are less fine.

"The War of Shovelling was fought between the Joyous Trumpets and The Grave of Doors. The main point of contention was the acceptability of homosexuality"

The... war of shovelling? uhh. I dunno. That does sound a leeeeetle bit like a euphemism.

I recall that FATAL ranked rituals by how many bodily fluids were required to cast them. Incidentally, Roll For Anal Circumference is such a great meme. It needs to be used more. :D

-----------------------------
On topic: As others have said; sexuality isn't really an issue right now. Dwarves may have babies when they're married, or not. They might have friendships and grudges, but honestly, these are all fairly minor things. If Toady put gay relationships in and treated them like any other relationship, there might be a backlash and there might not, but as it stands there's the occasional discussion and everyone is pretty much fine.  Regardless of our feelings on same-sex couples, or even Toady's feelings on the same, all he can do by introducing gay dwarves is bring down the potential for anger upon himself.

TL;DR If it's not broken, don't fix it. Hmm. Actually, that's a terrible TL;DR taken out of context....
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »

It isn't the same thing. Including different races doesn't say anything about a race except that they exist.
Including Homosexuals in the game is, in the current political environment, an outright political statement.
Why is that any different? How is including homosexuality in the game say anything about it except that it exists?
In this game because it is making a statement on nature versus nurture, the normality of such, as well as how many people have it.
Well...
1. It's more a statement of, "It's not worth programming all the environmental factors." Or else a statement of, "Sorry about taking X months, but I've finished adding all the factors which affect attributes, preferences, sexuality, build, and so forth."
2. "Normalcy?" Cultural. Dwarves are so convenient as to be a fictional culture.
3. How many people have it? Do a bit of research. That simple. No statement needed.

Just remember FATAL.
You'd better not be saying that Toady shouldn't not add homosexuality just because FATAL had it. Because that would be completely moronic.

Only through inferrence. It says nothing passively.
Guess what? Adding it needs someone else to infer something into it to be a statement.

Seriously, no one says that making kobolds idiots and generally inferior to dwarves is a political statement on racism, nor that large nations taking over the entire world until they eliminate all hostile ones and trade peacefully is a statement on war or globalization. Why would adding homosexuality be a political statement in and of itself?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 09:25:15 pm »

Why would adding homosexuality be a political statement in and of itself?

because stupid people.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 09:37:36 pm »

Wyrm is right, this first time lurker on these forums (me), thinks that Dwarf Fortress is not the most "normal/realistic" game out there.  I mean, if we really got down to it we can compare racism by us hating on elves and goblins, making dwarves adn humans superior with better technology, dwarves being alchoholics etc.  I mean, we could say that Dwarf Fortress is against the ecological friendly theme today by hating on Elves.   

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 09:39:30 pm »

Just remember FATAL.
You'd better not be saying that Toady shouldn't not add homosexuality just because FATAL had it. Because that would be completely moronic.
Nailed it again! I also support the removal of all jobs, skills, classes, races, creatures and technology because FATAL had them. My suggestion to not use a broken system was actually veiled homophobia*.

*Obligatory sarcasm warning: No, it wasn't. Geez.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 07:42:38 am »

because stupid people.
Then why is dwarf fortress' apparent gender equality not seen as a political statement? Are people less stupid about that subject? I think not.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 07:59:47 am »

because stupid people.
Then why is dwarf fortress' apparent gender equality not seen as a political statement? Are people less stupid about that subject? I think not.

Isn't it?  I always assumed Toady was a feminist based on it...

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 09:41:26 am »

Define political statement.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 10:34:23 am »

Adding homosexuality would not add anything to the gameplay, while marriage is only a part of the succession simulation as of now.

Also regarding Liberal Crime Squad, convservatism does tend to correlate with being stupid and wrong, I thank god I do not live on the same continent as those dudes.

Autists who wish to have romances in videogames can go play katawaja shoujo or whatever else weird game they can find.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12