Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What empire do we play as?

GWG's Psychic mindcrabs (Mindstealing crablike beings)
- 5 (12.5%)
Jbg97's Proelium Empire of Cassigans. (Warlike humanoids)
- 6 (15%)
GotdamnMiracles Ajacet (Warlike, semisuicidal Insectoid race)
- 6 (15%)
SoHowAreyou's Obin (Cybernetic Technocracy)
- 7 (17.5%)
I'manelfColaborator Harbringers (Anthrompomorphic semitribal internally divided crows)
- 1 (2.5%)
Ardas United Earth federation
- 4 (10%)
Ukranian Ranger's Order of life (Human space hippy elves)
- 7 (17.5%)
Rolepgeek Unified societies (Pascifistic aquatic beings)
- 4 (10%)
Option I
- 0 (0%)
Option J
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: Galactic Machinations (Semi suggestion game). Space elves  (Read 24976 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Machinations (Looking for players. Empire submission open)
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2013, 04:40:59 pm »

One, that wasn't an answer to the question, and two, I don't think anythin productive can be gained from this discussion.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Machinations (Looking for players. Empire submission closed)
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2013, 05:18:17 pm »

While I disagree with the notion that fire is required for smithing(cold-hammered metal is weak, but it's there), I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't matter anymore past being a point of pride for me and maybe something(might not be) for Dariush.

I do know that I talk with my dad, a biolgist at John Hopkins university about this type of stuff. Usually about how their culture might evolve, but sometimes about this stuff.

Dariush, I think you misunderstood. They can create pressurized spheres with chains and air ballast, at this level of tech. And bouyancy being easier to obtain in water than air...plus tools can probably work at high pressures for them, since that's where they started.

BUT. I will now go read about hippy space elves and get Carnivor Rex ready.

A final note: I think it'd be more likely for English, Russian, or Chinese, to end up being the language of choice used by a galaxy spanning empire, considering that today it's a dead language and those three are the official languages of some of the largest countries in the world. Chinese and English are the top two most spoken languages. Russian is fifth, which surprises me, being behind spanish and hindustani. Might end up like reverse Firefly.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2013, 05:21:26 pm »

"Local authorities are calling it the derail of the century and saying it is disappointing to.start the.New.year with such disaster..."
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2013, 05:24:46 pm »

First order of business: Topple everything.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2013, 05:26:06 pm »

Two things.
One, realism has no place in discussing spacefaring alien species considering we have no idea whatsoever as to what they might be, other than they would need to be intelligent and capable of fine manipulation.
And they would need to be able to make spacecraft, which pretty much requires metal, which pretty much requires fire, which pretty much requires you not to be in the water.
phosphorus..... It can burn in any environment with oxygen..... And at really high temperatures as well
Sodium is similar in that regard, except explosions......
Well, sodium in its pure form tends to react...poorly...with water, so it's an even worse fuel than it would be for landlubbers.
I'm not sure if phorphorous flames would be practical for metalsmithing ever, but here's a question for you: How would they ignite this phosphorous they somehow got?
phosphorus just tends to stay in fire for A LONG TIME
ON fire. And that's nice, but how do you get it set on fire? It's not an alkali metal, which can be set on fire by contact with water IIRC (except the explosive ones), and water retards pretty much any other kind of fire-starting method...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »

Turn 0

A race that, after being faced with imminent destruction at their own hands, decided to leave their world for the endless void of space, and vowed to never step upon the ground again. They spread throurough the universe to discover new worlds, and preserve them against harm and outside influence. However, while their massive ship's might be the pinacle of their technology, they aren't completely self sufficient. Faced with an imminent resource and food crisis, they will have to choose between their faith and their beliefs, or endure severe hardships.

*Insert Map Here*

Systems controlled by the order of Life

Spoiler: Sol (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vitality Battlestar (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AC-1/ AC-2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: B-21 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: W-359 (click to show/hide)

General statistics of the Order

Statistics
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Political statistics
[/i]
Politics

Spoiler: Relations (click to show/hide)

Economical statistics

Economical Status

Trade with other races

Player characters

Major

Voss Remaut a stout muscular man with a rough angry face and shoulder length black hair, knotted close to his scalp to remain short and out of the way. A devout follower of Thulia, Voss has become the leader of the Thulian Conservative and most wanted person by the humans shortly after Sherva Thulia's death.

Shelves Thulia was a luxury liner's passenger before an attack and failed attempt at boarding lead to a crash landing on a barely liveable planet. The casualties count was immense but a good few hundred people survived, among them Thulia. Thulia, eleven at the time, witnessed the highly religious lead the group in one direction then the next and ultimately fail as the last leader committed suicide. Thulia took over control at age nineteen immediately after, wiping all preservationistic attitudes from the group with a single speech. Voss was born under Thulias rule and grew up working for him and eventually immediately under him as the years dragged on. Thulia preached a hate for the religion that was so popular among the humans, feeding a rage in the people. When the group was contacted by a prospector, he was coaxed into landing and commandeered. Shortly after vessel after vessel arrived as Voss and his Navy pirated more and more. Voss became fleet admiral, as a motley fleet began to form. After Thulia perished of old age Voss has taken over, whispers of doubt are set silent with successful raid after raid, improving his people's way of life each day, turning the he'll hole they are dug in to a into a stronghold, made impregnable by the large force surrounding it, the deathworld it inhabits, or the attitudes of it's citizens.

Voss is considered merciless and unforgiving, choosing the scare tactic over release of hostages and absolutely obliterating any escapees to prevent any knowledge of his attacks being spread.

Minor note: The planet is on the distant outer rim, barren with relatively high metal stores and noxious atmosphere. Wildlife is rare, foreign, and dangerous but not nonexistant by any means. Flora is very rare and hard to cultivate in captivity.

Organisation name: Thulian Conservative
Economic power: 4%
  -Funds: 400
    -Planet name here
    -Population: 100 million
    -Agriculture I: 137.5
           -Base sustainability: 125 million (Farming tech I)
    -Industry I
          -0.25 IC (Rounded up. So one IC per year)

Military power: 15%
    Ground:
       -20 million hardened
       -10 million Veteran
     Naval:
       -3 Battleship's (Subpar quality)
       -10 Corvettes (Normal quality)
       -15 Corvettes (Subpar quality)
       -3 Fighter wings

Popularity: 1% (Really, pirates ain't popular. All of the ones who support you are on your own planet)

Name: Cassis Guarra
Description: Large in both height and width, Cassis has short brown hair, a slight scar on his left cheek from a childhood fight and a blank look in his eye. He carries around a symbol from the religious communtiy he grew up in, and looks to it to calm himself down.
Biography: Quick to anger, Cassis has been avoided by the others in the peaceful community in which he grew up in. While he isn't "clever" "smart" or "more intelligent than a sack of bricks" he is a good public speaker, and roused up many people in his childhood, once leading a classroom "revolt" against a teacher who scolded him for talking during class. After about 2 more of these incidents he was sent to a local religious order to try and calm his anger and revolutionary spirit. However, seeing the empire in which he lived go down a path he didn't see as right drove him to leave the order and form a grooup to set the entire empire on the right track.

Organisation name: Homines Libertatis
Description:
     -Economical power: Not very powerful, many merchants seem to want to avoid associating with Cassis on a regular basis for some reason...
     -Military power: Very strong, Cassis's viewpoint is that no revolution can hope to succeed without a strong and vast army.
     -Popularity: Depends on who you ask, while many feel similiarly to Cassis, some have decided to not take action, go about the revolution another way, or peacefully protest (the weirdos...). However, there is still a very large amount of people who support Cassis and his goals and Cassis is VERY popular among them. Some of those people are men of science, some of philosophy, but mostly of militaristically minded men. No matter how different they all seem they all share a common idea: The Empire must change, forcefully, and Cassis is the right one to lead such a revolution..

Regular Name:  Mark Chen Ho
Noble name: Alizam
Major Titles: Duke of Mars, Count of Unicorn*(battlecruiser), Count of The Asteroid Belt.
Liege: The king
Major Vassals: Count of Jupiter's orbit, Count of Saturn's Orbit, Count of Uranus' orbit, Count of Neptune's orbit, Baron of Wasp(interceptor corvette), Baron of  Tiger (interceptor corvette)
Wife: none

* I am assuming that it's a part of the king's fleet.

Description: Young man that recently inherited the title as the eldest son. Tall and muscular. Asian. 20 Years old. Almost always in his military uniform.

Biography:
As the oldest child of previous duke got a proper military education. Considered to be a very competent commander. Rumors say that he supports the fungal heresy*, but no one have proved that. Quite popular among population due to liberal policies and military fame. His father was the best friend of the king and died saving his ruler from an assassin.

*fungal heresy (belief that bacteria, algae and fungus have no soul and thus can be raised for food if methods used don't mess with ecology)

Brief history of Mars:
Mars was the second colony of humanity (after Luna) and developed quite rapidly. Was partially terraformed. Unfortunately, it was heavily bombarded during the war of Martian independence and became almost lifeless with few million citizens left.  After the rise of the new religion Mars was slowly recolonized but future terraforming was banned by new beliefs, so only few primitive lifeforms exist. There are many  cities and while mining considered not very pious profession it is allowed* at planets that was inhabited before the new Age as long as it doesn't change planet too much.

*Fundamentalists demand to ban  mining operations on Mars, Luna,  Terra , but moderate clergy understand that economy of the empire can't survive without those resources. It's one of the necessary compromises

-Economical power: 5%
          -The empires mining capabilities
     -Military power: 10%
           -King's fleet and Martian militia
     -Popularity: 5%
           -Mostly his direct subjects
[/spoiler]

Minor

Spoiler: Military (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:50:30 am by 10ebbor10 »

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2013, 05:35:12 pm »

Two things.
One, realism has no place in discussing spacefaring alien species considering we have no idea whatsoever as to what they might be, other than they would need to be intelligent and capable of fine manipulation.
And they would need to be able to make spacecraft, which pretty much requires metal, which pretty much requires fire, which pretty much requires you not to be in the water.
phosphorus..... It can burn in any environment with oxygen..... And at really high temperatures as well
Well, sodium in its pure form tends to react...poorly...with water, so it's an even worse fuel than it would be for landlubbers.
I'm not sure if phorphorous flames would be practical for metalsmithing ever, but here's a question for you: How would they ignite this phosphorous they somehow got?
ON fire. And that's nice, but how do you get it set on fire? It's not an alkali metal, which can be set on fire by contact with water IIRC (except the explosive ones), and water retards pretty much any other kind of fire-starting method...
it burns underwater, different types of phosphorus are more reactive
One starts out with low reaction, and glows when in contact with sit; but turns into the more dangerous one which:
Violently catches fire, and burns well enough underwater

Most fire can survive under water, as long as enough oxygen is there to support it

Then there is magnesium, which when barely heated, converts into powerful magnesium oxide; and in the process creates big flames,that even water cannot put out(it rips the oxygen away from the hydrogen, water fuels this fire.)

I'll stop this derail here

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2013, 05:44:22 pm »

Two things.
it burns underwater, different types of phosphorus are more reactive
One starts out with low reaction, and glows when in contact with sit; but turns into the more dangerous one which:
Violently catches fire, and burns well enough underwater

Most fire can survive under water, as long as enough oxygen is there to support it

Then there is magnesium, which when barely heated, converts into powerful magnesium oxide; and in the process creates big flames,that even water cannot put out(it rips the oxygen away from the hydrogen, water fuels this fire.)

I'll stop this derail here
No. Not until you tel me how you START the fire underwater. Doesn't fire need oxygen, fuel, and heat to kindle?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2013, 05:46:38 pm »

*reads stats*

Bwuh?

One sentence to finish the derail off and make it go away; Volcanic vents.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2013, 05:57:06 pm »

How in the Nine Hells of Baator do you use volcanic vents to smelt metal, assuming that you can survive those depths and get the ore?
Sig

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2013, 06:06:42 pm »

How in the Nine Hells of Baator do you use volcanic vents to smelt metal, assuming that you can survive those depths and get the ore?
YOLO?
Volcanic vents are really hot.... Only extremophiles, and chemotrophs live near them because of the intense heat and chemical output
And heat doesn't need to be applied to start a fire, phosphorus reacts with oxygen to produce heat, aka fire....

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2013, 06:16:38 pm »

I was just talking about the phosphorus starting...you italicized heat...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2013, 06:29:04 pm »

I was just talking about the phosphorus starting...you italicized heat...
Ah.

YOLO?
Volcanic vents are really hot.... Only extremophiles, and chemotrophs live near them because of the intense heat and chemical output
And heat doesn't need to be applied to start a fire, phosphorus reacts with oxygen to produce heat, aka fire....
I'm not exactly sure, but doesn't heat need to be more concentrated to work metals other than copper, silver, etc? And aren't most such vents in the cold, crushing depths where intelligent life would be hard-pressed to develop and harder-pressed to survive if it developed elsewhere? And wouldn't it be a bit tough for anything other than creatures adapted to the vents to survive the boiling temperatures nearby? And wouldn't such creatures find it tough to survive in the chilling waters a bit farther away?
Sig

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2013, 06:30:41 pm »

Just blame it on alien uplifting, stop the derail

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2013, 06:57:00 pm »

Name: Malderik Bizonry
Description: Madlerik is quite tall, even for the Order of Life, and bears a thick mustache that he takes great care in grooming. Long golden hair is tied into three ponytails, the bases of which are vertically aligned along the back of his head. His left arm and part of his leg are gone, replaced by bionic inserts, and his left lung no longer functions, implants being used to keep enough oxygen circulating. Not particularly muscular, he is quite intelligent, if stubborn, but not handsome by many standards. Innumerable implants and 'improvements' scar his body, as well as plain battle scars and wounds. His left eyes in particular, though only the observant would notice, has been replaced by an advanced camera and processor, equipped with a variety of functions. It looks extremely similar to his other eye, though that side of his face is burned and scars, he doesn't have eyelids for that eye, and tiny, glowing blue lines occasionally dance across it.
Biography: A high ranking military commander and politician, Malderik is the leader of the Technocrats, being recruited at the age of 15 during a particularly hard-pressed time, when the Habitation-Frigate Sol's Children and it's fleet of escorts turned heretical, claiming the Order's way of life to be changing the human species for the worse, and began to strip mine a vibrant planet ripe for supporting life in a few millenia. He proved himself time and time again, though when he was an Acolytech, his sleeve got stuck in a Burst Engine drive piston assembly as it activated...it cost him most of his left hand, and severed the nerves a little above his wrist. Despite the injury, he eventually became a Gear-Priest, tasked with overseeing the rituals and maintenance of an entire ship. Forced to take command of it during a particularly dangerous battle, when an entire gun battery mutinied, he managed to keep the ship not only alive, but destroy three of the enemy's frigates with a risky maneuver that did blow out a small section of the ships engines. In wake of this, he quickly rose up the commanding ranks, leading from the front in boarding missions,

Organisation name: Guardians of Hope(more commonly called the Technocrats)
Description: A combination of scientists, industrialists, and militarists, the Guardians advocate to always push the envelope. Resource hungry, their politicians constantly lobby to try and get more ways of obtaining resources; whether it be asking for another exception allowing worlds without the means to support life to be mined, or attempting to build support for the construction of massive solar stations, to gather solar power release from suns, store it, and transport it. Believing themselves to be invariably loyal to the species and their way of life, Technocrats also have a side that is less popular...they believe that to be most efficient, farms should be created, to grow edible material from solar energy, continuously. This material would be 'shaved' off, shaped, textured, and flavored. A step back towards the old ways, some say. Malderik leads as a valiant commander, popular with most soldiers, and an ever-onward striving individual, seeking to escape boundaries and confinements, and improve the Order through technology and innovation.
     -Economical power: Quite strong; many scientists and businesses alike find home in their organization, and so the 'Crats have a surprising amount of funding and support for their size and purpose.
     -Military power: Also quite strong, as many soldiers, particularly the lower ranks, find their practices to be helpful at keeping them alive. They also advocate more pay for soldiers, which is of course always a plus...
     -Popularity: Unpopular with many of the more pious members of the Order, claiming the Guardians of Hope to be misguided and backwards at best, and heretics and vile sinners at worst. Most military members like it, though, as it not only appeals to most and contains many officers, but consistently and often successfully implements new technolgies and medical practices for the military. Hunters have been hounding them for many years, though they've found no evidence yet.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22