Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: what's the point of rooting android and/or cyanogenmod. what stuff can you do?  (Read 3321 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

What the topic sayeth
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

You have acces to the internal memory of your tablet/smartphone, wich is usefull for all sorts of things like backups.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I was hoping for more verbose stuff on the precise advantages  :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You have greater control of the inner workings of your phone, just like having access to the root account of a Unix-based computer.

Not much more verbose, but perhaps helpful.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Thanks, but I am aware of the basics. What I wondered about were particular uses, eg, it allows to use program so and so and enable x y z

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Thanks, but I am aware of the basics. What I wondered about were particular uses, eg, it allows to use program so and so and enable x y z
It gives you admin control on the device allowing you to promote programs giving them more access to the system which is good for developers and side loading apps. Cyanogenmod is good to replace the stock rom that phone companies like to dump bloatware on and giving access to new versions of android to old devices that have no support anymore over than the developer scene.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile

Pirating mostly.

You can also flash a clean version of Android on it and remove all the branding and other crap that comes installed on contract phones that kills the battery.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pirating mostly.

No you can pirate without flashing a new rom, all you need is a unlocked apk.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some applications require root. Backups, file managers. If you don't have an app you really need and it requires root, there should be no need to root it.

And yeah, pirated apps can be installed in an unrooted device anyway.

That's about it.

You can for example add a custom ringtone to the internal memory, instead of putting it in the SD card or whatever and have it get disabled whenever you plug the device to your computer (which "ejects" the SD from the phone so it can mount it).

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile

For me it enables me to remove all the bloatware on my phone and enable overclocking if you're into that. And yes, you can backup the entire internal memory along with all the app and settings of your phone instead of just the contacts. Service provider locks, if any, can also be removed.

Also, cyanogenmod or stock ROMs enhanced with cyanogenmod components can be actually more convenient than just the stock.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For me it enables me to remove all the bloatware on my phone and enable overclocking if you're into that.

This is a big thing. On a slower phone, you can force a certain processor speed and remove all the unnecessary stuff. I rooted my US670 just to remove the lag, and it worked :P

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be nice if I wasn't stuck with the Motorola Razr bloatware, heh. Can't install any alternate OSes in it, even if rooted.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be nice if I wasn't stuck with the Motorola Razr bloatware, heh. Can't install any alternate OSes in it, even if rooted.

cm10.1 has been ported to the razr but it's currently under alpha status and most of the phone is useless other than calling and texting. There are dev built roms you can install that are available for the razr.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, there's some issue with the bootloader, that it's locked or sumthin'

Can't install any OS that isn't signed by Motorola. At least in the GSM version I got.

basil

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Bughunter
    • View Profile

Three favorite things about android rooting:

1. can tether unlimited devices
2.Can install a linux loop device/file that acts as an OS; I mean, I know you like *nix, so I rooted your phone so you could *nix (android) while you *nix (the device loop) via a terminal emulator
3. Remove spyware that comes with it (remember "carrier id" program that comes on stock phones? aka spyware? aka WTF?!!)
Time out. I drank his blood. It says human, but he just flipped out for being called out as a vamp. I DRANK HIS BLOOD. IN THE NAME OF ARMOK, AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, HOW DID I DROWN?!!
Pages: [1] 2 3