Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863877 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15615 on: January 16, 2015, 06:33:52 pm »

You should probably pick a location and unleash miniature nuclear apocalypse upon it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #15616 on: January 16, 2015, 06:35:49 pm »

Really, game? 50 mininukes in one lab room? And a quantum solar panel and recipe for atomic battery mod? Who was the genius that thought that was a good idea?
Have you never had a really great but impractical idea? Now imagine if you actually had the capacity to do it. That is what life was like for those scientists.
Good sir, you have found the filming area of Mythbusters 2040.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15617 on: January 16, 2015, 06:41:50 pm »

Really, game? 50 mininukes in one lab room? And a quantum solar panel and recipe for atomic battery mod? Who was the genius that thought that was a good idea?
Have you never had a really great but impractical idea? Now imagine if you actually had the capacity to do it. That is what life was like for those scientists.
Good sir, you have found the filming area of Mythbusters 2040.

Grant's robot already killed all the scientists.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15618 on: January 16, 2015, 07:03:30 pm »

I don't use guns, so I wouldn't know how easy they can make things. The new fungal stuff might be worth looking into and mines and similar have some really hardcore stuff in them[That's not a dog....]. And some of the other types of zombies[EX: Bio Operators] are pretty difficult to kill. If you ever get bored, go play chicken with a chicken walker. Or a tank drone. Ought to get your adrenaline up, at the very least.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15619 on: January 16, 2015, 07:31:18 pm »

I myself have only really tried melee characters, the closest I got to a ranged character was one focused on throwing which I soon found was a pain since any and all wearable storage that I know of will negatively affect throwing since eye, torso, hand and leg encumbrance are all bad for for throwing(legs for quickly moving around and picking things back up since you cant hold that many). I tried archery, but taking 2-3 turns to fire a single arrow seemed like a deathwish compared to punching them 2-6 times per turn.

How do you usually make your ranged characters? What are your presets and strategies?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15620 on: January 16, 2015, 07:36:34 pm »

Hmmm. I know a proper stealth system is impossible currently without reworking a big chunk of the game, but would it be possible to do something like, say, guaranteeing a critical if you attack something before or on the same turn it becomes fully "aware"(ie enemies that just know your EXACT position this turn) of you?

I suggest this because for one, it would give a more practical battle application for smoke bombs and grenades, and the cloaking CBM's usefulness in regular combat; rather than just sneaking up on or away from high risk targets. As well as rewarding fragile stealthy characters to end a combat more quickly if they manage to maintain their sneaking. It would also reward ambushing and sneak attacks in general, as opposed to getting everything's attention and leading them into a window or bush.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:39:54 pm by Kaitol »

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15621 on: January 16, 2015, 07:39:44 pm »

Has anything more been added in the way of a late/endgame in the last year or so? The last version I played was the major release of the Romero one, I believe. And I always get to the same point with my characters - I start in a city, make a safehouse at the corner of it, and slowly fight my way through clearing out zombies and gathering supplies. And then typically I've found a half-decent rifle and can kill just about anything from headshots. I raid labs for a while getting mutations and bionics and such, but kinda quickly get bored because of the lack of any lategame challenges.

So is there anything new to alleviate that?

Not really, IMO. I don't think roadblocks and the such were in Romero but there less of a late game threat and more of just instant death until you learn how to handle them, and then fairly easy.

I myself have only really tried melee characters, the closest I got to a ranged character was one focused on throwing which I soon found was a pain since any and all wearable storage that I know of will negatively affect throwing since eye, torso, hand and leg encumbrance are all bad for for throwing(legs for quickly moving around and picking things back up since you cant hold that many). I tried archery, but taking 2-3 turns to fire a single arrow seemed like a deathwish compared to punching them 2-6 times per turn.

How do you usually make your ranged characters? What are your presets and strategies?

Archery really really really sucks balls when you first start. The key to being a good archer is just putting time into getting your skills up and getting to the point where you can make metal arrows. Once you get that far you hit pretty hard (and fast) with bows, maybe not as much as an equal skill melee char but pretty good damage nonetheless. If you wanted to be a good archer from the start I would probably recommend dumping several points into archery and fabrication. Iirc you need 5 fabrication to start making metal arrows so drop two points into that and you're almost there.
Also you don't really need to build special to use guns so most of my chars start as melee and segway into fusion gun spam later on.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15622 on: January 16, 2015, 08:15:45 pm »

Hmmm. I know a proper stealth system is impossible currently without reworking a big chunk of the game, but would it be possible to do something like, say, guaranteeing a critical if you attack something before or on the same turn it becomes fully "aware"(ie enemies that just know your EXACT position this turn) of you?

I suggest this because for one, it would give a more practical battle application for smoke bombs and grenades, and the cloaking CBM's usefulness in regular combat; rather than just sneaking up on or away from high risk targets. As well as rewarding fragile stealthy characters to end a combat more quickly if they manage to maintain their sneaking. It would also reward ambushing and sneak attacks in general, as opposed to getting everything's attention and leading them into a window or bush.

Crit on sneak attacks would only really be useful for the early game. Once your combat skills level up a bit you're almost constantly critting from what I saw.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15623 on: January 16, 2015, 08:21:46 pm »

Ehhh, I'm not so sure of that. They're frequent, but by no means constant. And some characters are stuck on low combat skills for a very very long time. A pacifistic slow learner for example, would probably take days and days and days of fighting to get anywhere.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15624 on: January 16, 2015, 08:59:40 pm »

Ninjitsu is supposed to be good for sneak attacks, since it makes your attacks silent and deal a lot more damage with precise strikes. That + Combat Knife or something similar and maybe a few stealth mutations/traits and you can be a pretty good silent killer. Never tried it myself, but it ought to work in theory.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15625 on: January 16, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »

Ehhh, I'm not so sure of that. They're frequent, but by no means constant. And some characters are stuck on low combat skills for a very very long time. A pacifistic slow learner for example, would probably take days and days and days of fighting to get anywhere.

Probably a build/weapon choice thing. The weapon "to hit" stat affects crits, so does your dexterity and your skill at using said weapon. All 3 are important it seems and I pay attention to them on my melee characters. Eventually I get much more crits than non crits if I built for them. A high dexterity character with a quarterstaff for example is pretty scary, even early on.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15626 on: January 17, 2015, 01:36:06 am »

Umu. I'm not questioning the viability or potency of crit builds, or sneaky characters.

I'm pontificating about the possibility and merits of adding a sneak attack crit to enemies unaware or just aware of you. It won't be a big effect on skilled characters with very high critical chance, yes, but that factor alone doesn't really determine whether it's right to be added.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:38:45 am by Kaitol »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15627 on: January 17, 2015, 02:32:20 am »

Umu. I'm not questioning the viability or potency of crit builds, or sneaky characters.

I'm pontificating about the possibility and merits of adding a sneak attack crit to enemies unaware or just aware of you. It won't be a big effect on skilled characters with very high critical chance, yes, but that factor alone doesn't really determine whether it's right to be added.

Well, it would be an improvement mostly for the less skilled characters either requiring high end equipment(cbm's) or specific items(smoke bombs). I think it's utility would not be that great in the end and probably requiring more coding work than it is worth, especially if they plan on eventually adding a proper stealth system and would have to recode it. Also, the way i see it, in the case of zombies and some other monsters, criticals due to being unaware don't make much sense since they don't really fight defensively and your movement making noise(unless you have tentacle legs or something else) and them trying to move towards the noise means they're on the move already anyways.

On another note, I just had a look through github and found this entry https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/10889 "Fix friendly monsters being friendly to hostiles of same species" Will this make friendly NPC's attack unfriendly NPC's now? I tried making a diplomatic character some time back but that didn't work because my friendly npc's didn't protect me from the never-ending flow of unfriendly ones.

Speaking of diplomacy, aside from books, is there a decent way to train speaking? Seemed that no matter what kind of interaction I had with NPC's the skill only went up by 1% and seeing how dangerous these interactions are...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:58:34 am by Ygdrad »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15628 on: January 17, 2015, 09:35:12 pm »

You used the word pontificating. I officially love you.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15629 on: January 17, 2015, 11:06:53 pm »

Anyone know of any way to keep your items safe from NPC's? Even friendly ones will just come and take all the stuff you leave lying around unless you manage to convince them to stand guard.
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 1086