Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863392 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15390 on: December 20, 2014, 02:01:19 pm »

Yeah, normally when you hit a shrub, all damage propagates directly to your headlights and solar panels.  Having a disposable front end means non of your important bits get hurt.
Except that having important parts in the front is stupid for just that reason so I do not have any such parts where they can be hit.
So does a composite ram soak as much damage as a composite armor plate?
Considering ram vs heavy frame+armor. I suppose that rams would need repairs more frequent while the other wold need twice the repairs at the same time.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15391 on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:59 am »

Yeah, ram (some folks use a broad one with wheels/drums, to catch mines) is there to hit things so your vehicle doesn't.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15392 on: December 21, 2014, 09:06:13 am »

So, what is everyone's opinion on armor? It seems that the tougher stuff like ceramic plating, riot helmets, hard arm guards, etc. end up piling on huge negative modifiers. Is it worth it to always wear them, or should you only do so when getting in the face of things with guns?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15393 on: December 21, 2014, 09:28:22 am »

So, what is everyone's opinion on armor? It seems that the tougher stuff like ceramic plating, riot helmets, hard arm guards, etc. end up piling on huge negative modifiers. Is it worth it to always wear them, or should you only do so when getting in the face of things with guns?

Depends primarily on the build you're going for, I believe. You can build a character that's essentially a PAYDAY tank - a walking mountain of armor and shotgun shells - and if you use it at short range only you're gonna have a char that is impervious to most damage while dishing out a lot, but once you're out of ammo you are quite fucked unless you decide to drop everything and leg it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15394 on: December 21, 2014, 09:44:18 am »

Depends primarily on the build you're going for, I believe. You can build a character that's essentially a PAYDAY tank - a walking mountain of armor and shotgun shells - and if you use it at short range only you're gonna have a char that is impervious to most damage while dishing out a lot, but once you're out of ammo you are quite fucked unless you decide to drop everything and leg it.

It sounds like you are saying that armor is only good if you are using a shot gun at close range, and even then with enough speed I can use a shotgun at close range and avoid the risk of getting hit all together. I'm asking if there is a practical use for armor. It as put in there and given stats, so it must have a purpose that makes encumbering armor better than reinforced clothing. Something that makes up for the speed difference as I'm finding myself consuming some stimulant and then running around and smacking stuff with my sword until it dies, usually never getting hit.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15395 on: December 21, 2014, 09:53:00 am »

It sounds like you are saying that armor is only good if you are using a shot gun at close range, and even then with enough speed I can use a shotgun at close range and avoid the risk of getting hit all together. I'm asking if there is a practical use for armor. It as put in there and given stats, so it must have a purpose that makes encumbering armor better than reinforced clothing. Something that makes up for the speed difference as I'm finding myself consuming some stimulant and then running around and smacking stuff with my sword until it dies, usually never getting hit.
I guess you could swap the shotgun for a sledgehammer and enjoy being impervious to most forms of damage. Sure, you could just jack yourself up with stimulants and do some hit-and-run tactics, but if you run into enemies with guns you may end up very dead.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15396 on: December 21, 2014, 10:16:42 am »

As others have said, it depends on your play style, but specific parts are good for specific things.

The arm and leg guards are mostly useful for martial arts characters who block melee damage with limbs. The kevlar/ceramic stuff is good at stopping bullets, so works best when fighting other survivors or raiding places that have turrets.

I focus on ranged combat with enough melee skill to stab or bash regular zeds to save on ammo... so I stick to layered reinforced clothing to protect from bites and shoot everything else at range. If I'm going after a lab or somewhere I may get shot, I do put on an MBR vest, but only while I'm in danger of being shot. Note that I play with NPC's turned off.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15397 on: December 21, 2014, 12:48:58 pm »

Survivor gear[With some leg and arm-guards if I'm a martial artist] or power armour are usually my preferred gear, since my usual style is "Walk into enemies until they die", mixed with "Bullwhip/Shotgun/EMP grenade" things that you can't do that for. Survivor gear is light and gives lots of storage and protection, even if it is a pain getting your skills high enough to make it. Power armour is especially awesome, since it only gives you one encumbrance when powered on, basically makes you invulnerable to anything besides POSSIBLY Chicken Walker/Tank Drones. And, last time I had the necessary bionics and full set of power armour[Several versions ago], if you don't stop moving in full sunlight with Power Armour Interface II, Solar Panels and Joint Torsion Rackets, you can keep your suit powered indefinitely. Not really sure how I'd rate mid-tier armours. Unless you're packing a sniper rifle, I'd say an MBR vest or similar is basically a must against turrets/tank drones/whatever else OHKs people armoured only with a trenchcoat and sweatshirt. You can get away with no/little armour against most Zeds, but bullets cut through most materials like butter.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15398 on: December 21, 2014, 01:20:36 pm »

Bullet proof vests are going to look a lot more tempting if enemies with guns are ever as commonplace as they're intended.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15399 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:00 pm »

Personally I'd argue that any character planning on fighting enemies with ranged attacks needs armor. I even strap on a hard plate MBR and helmet with my melee characters when I'm raiding a lab or something equivalent, because it makes the difference between those streams of bullets killing you or pinging off uselessly. On ranged characters I always try to keep at least a kevlar MBR on.

Put another way, what I often do is carry around a couple duffel bags with great armor and extra guns + ammo, then leave them outside of whatever location I'm clearing. If I encounter anything I can't beat to death or kite with a light weapon + explosives, I escape & evade back to the bags and gear up. Once it's cleared out, the bags make for mondo loot storage. This is especially important with a fusion gun or some type of rocket launcher, since tankbots are super fucking risky even with those and really good armor. If you find EMP grenades, always carry at least one or two.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15400 on: December 21, 2014, 02:24:06 pm »

How is this shaping up with graphical tiles? Any decent ones out there that take advantage of all the current build has to offer, including vehicles?

I haven't played for ages, and would love to pick it back up if there are any!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15401 on: December 21, 2014, 03:49:09 pm »

How is this shaping up with graphical tiles? Any decent ones out there that take advantage of all the current build has to offer, including vehicles?

I haven't played for ages, and would love to pick it back up if there are any!
I'd suggest just download the latest graphical expiremental from the main site.  Just, start playing, it's the easiest way to answer a lot of the "I haven't played in forever" questions.  But yes, there are some really good tilesets, and yes vehicles are awesome.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15402 on: December 21, 2014, 04:43:18 pm »

Bullet proof vests are going to look a lot more tempting if enemies with guns are ever as commonplace as they're intended.

If you play with static NPCs on, you'll probably run into bandits at some point. Nearly died after I ran past one of their cabins; about six of them came out and peppered me with pistol fire. Luckily, I had just found a grenade launcher.

As for play style and armour, I usually keep some limb armour on and maybe some head armour and that's about it. I play fully ranged builds, first thing I do is grab as much guns and ammo as possible, and then stack about 8 or so guns in my vehicle (usually a motorcycle of some sort so I can shoot while driving circles around hordes) with a fuckton of ammo. Yeah, I go through a lot, but I always seem to run across a ton of those basement weapon/ammo caches, so it's not like I run the risk of running out when I have 300~ birdshot from some dude's basement.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15403 on: December 21, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »

So If I had Zui Quan, and installed the uncanny dodge CBM, could I dodge fifty bullets the turn after attacking?

I'm currently brainstorming the best melee options to deal with guns.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15404 on: December 21, 2014, 05:05:15 pm »

So If I had Zui Quan, and installed the uncanny dodge CBM, could I dodge fifty bullets the turn after attacking?

I'm currently brainstorming the best melee options to deal with guns.

If your dodging skill was high enough, possibly. Still, 50 is a lot. If it's a turret, they fucking carpet the area around you, so you'd probably end up getting hit honestly. The flip side of that is that as a melee character, it's not worth sacrificing everything ever just to wear armour because of the off chance that you'll a: run into something with guns, and b: not die from it even with armour.
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 1086