Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860621 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13215 on: August 26, 2014, 01:58:55 am »

It took me nearly a whole ingame week of nothing but reading to finish one high skill book. Some of them take a whole hour for one tick of exp. If you get bad rolls it takes forever.

Hordes constantly popping up in that week don't help much either.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13216 on: August 26, 2014, 02:28:27 am »

So I just crafted my first Cargo Carrier car part. It gives you 1000-volume storage on a vehicle.

I strapped it to a shopping cart frame (hereby christened the Lootsitania). I'm no longer sure why I wear a backpack.

It took me nearly a whole ingame week of nothing but reading to finish one high skill book. Some of them take a whole hour for one tick of exp. If you get bad rolls it takes forever.

Hordes constantly popping up in that week don't help much either.

Did you try padding it with booze, sugary cereals, and fluff reading?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:30:46 am by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13217 on: August 26, 2014, 04:42:34 am »

I honestly feel like more research needs to go into fencing.  If you actually study the history of it, there's a lot more technique to it than just "thrust thrust, parry!".  There are a lot of different fencing styles which center around defending yourself, armed or unarmed, with any weapon available.  One book I remember reading back in high school on old German styles of fencing involved a lot of hand to hand combat and focused a lot on getting into your opponents defenses to break his neck.
Agreed. There's olympic fencing, and then there is FENCING. Fencing as a martial form is still taught beyond Olympic style, and that involves rapiers, cloaks, bucklers, daggers, bottles, all kinds of stuff.

Sure, but that's a different style, the current Fencing is specifically the Olympic style. I doubt anyone on the dev team would mind if someone added more martial arts :P

RE: tools - I found out why Bionic Prepper is well worth the 8 points because of that. The set you're given - Integrated Toolset, Anti-Glare Compensators and Joint Ratchet - amount to absolutely free welding, cooking anywhere as long as you have a pot or a pan and unless I'm misremembering, you can make a Forged Sword with only this, though you need an anvil, crucible and forge for the rest.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13218 on: August 26, 2014, 09:40:28 am »

No, you need the standard tools separate with an Integrated Toolset, it doesn't cover metalworking gear. It's still quite possibly the handiest bionic out there, though, because it's like a Swiss Army Knife on a cataclysmic (:P) scale.

Also, does it come with a Power Storage bionic? Because if it doesn't, then it doesn't amount to free welding.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13219 on: August 26, 2014, 12:24:15 pm »

No, you need the standard tools separate with an Integrated Toolset, it doesn't cover metalworking gear. It's still quite possibly the handiest bionic out there, though, because it's like a Swiss Army Knife on a cataclysmic (:P) scale.

Also, does it come with a Power Storage bionic? Because if it doesn't, then it doesn't amount to free welding.

Yes, obviously. Only one, so 100 power units, but it takes just a couple seconds of walking around to recharge it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13220 on: August 27, 2014, 08:01:23 pm »

I honestly feel like more research needs to go into fencing.  If you actually study the history of it, there's a lot more technique to it than just "thrust thrust, parry!".  There are a lot of different fencing styles which center around defending yourself, armed or unarmed, with any weapon available.  One book I remember reading back in high school on old German styles of fencing involved a lot of hand to hand combat and focused a lot on getting into your opponents defenses to break his neck.
Agreed. There's olympic fencing, and then there is FENCING. Fencing as a martial form is still taught beyond Olympic style, and that involves rapiers, cloaks, bucklers, daggers, bottles, all kinds of stuff.

Sure, but that's a different style, the current Fencing is specifically the Olympic style. I doubt anyone on the dev team would mind if someone added more martial arts :P

RE: tools - I found out why Bionic Prepper is well worth the 8 points because of that. The set you're given - Integrated Toolset, Anti-Glare Compensators and Joint Ratchet - amount to absolutely free welding, cooking anywhere as long as you have a pot or a pan and unless I'm misremembering, you can make a Forged Sword with only this, though you need an anvil, crucible and forge for the rest.

Kenjutsu would probably work out well.  We could use a Savate practitioner to add that one, and maybe shift Ninjutsu or Krav Maga over to handle weapons more effectively, as well as taking fencing out of Olympic practice.  (Seriously, first hit isn't as important as making sure you survive the bout.)  We've 3 armed styles at the moment, so getting those up to 5 wold be nice from a thematic perspective.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13221 on: August 27, 2014, 08:04:41 pm »

Savate would be interesting due to the breadth of weapons used. Unarmed, light sticks, staves...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13222 on: August 27, 2014, 08:40:56 pm »

Wait, you CAN make a forged sword with just a fire and a hammer.

That makes a whole damn lot of sense.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13223 on: August 28, 2014, 12:26:29 am »

I'm having a problem with the game starting in winter now. I can put together some clothing that's pretty warm (tank top, trenchcoat, cargo pants, stockings, boots, etc), but the only clothing that covers the face is a bandana. Unless you find a scarf (and didn't take the wool allergy flaw), I wind up with frostbite on my face while every other limb is comfortable.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #13224 on: August 28, 2014, 12:34:19 am »

Hm, don't suppose there's a craftable low-level scarf recipe? Wouldn't take much, just a sheet or curtain at most.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13225 on: August 28, 2014, 01:02:11 am »

Tailoring 3, survival 1 gives you the fur scarf, though that may not be immediately doable. Remember, however, that you can wear multiple bandanas for extra warmth, though that encumbers you.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13226 on: August 28, 2014, 01:50:15 am »

Balaclavas can be worn in multiple as well. Two balaclavas, a bandana, and dust mask is usually my starting armor.

The fur scarves require animal pelts - unlikely unless you prepped specifically for collecting them that early.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13227 on: August 28, 2014, 03:24:17 am »

Balaclavas can be worn in multiple as well. Two balaclavas, a bandana, and dust mask is usually my starting armor.

The fur scarves require animal pelts - unlikely unless you prepped specifically for collecting them that early.

Speaking of - could someone give me the maximum reasonable encumberance values? When I've been starting out, I thought the penalties only set in once you got a message about it, so my char looked like a backpack fetishist most of the time. So I've been going the opposite extreme and keeping it 2 on torso and maximum of 1 on the rest - I know that 2-3 on torso is enough to have imbalancing set in every now and then.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13228 on: August 28, 2014, 03:44:25 am »

I second the question regarding encumbrance, let's get this clear.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13229 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:57 am »

Very short answer: it depends on your skill levels and what weapons you're using.

Torso affects melee skill and dodge change, so stacking a lot of backpacks or duffels will throw low-skill practitioners off-balance and negate your dodge based on how overloaded you are. The penalties listed per body part come directly out of skill levels, so if your torso encumbrance lists melee penalty of -3, you need 4 regular character ranks in melee skill to fight at effective melee rank of 1.

The different body parts with encumbrance is something like this:

Head: Only determines how many hats you can put on your grand pile of hats, and warmth.
Eyes: Perception penalty for ranged combat (and trap detection!)
Mouth: Slower movement speed
Torso: melee skill + dodge skill lowered, swimming takes longer
Arms: Ranged combat penalties
Hands: reload speed penalties, throwing penalties
Legs: movement speed penalties, dodge penalties, (swim penalties?)
Feet: more movement speed penalties.

Ranged-only characters don't care much about torso encumbrance, melee wants a lot of armor on the arms and legs to block shots with martial arts. Little o' both kinda need to run light on everything.

Encumbrance is calculated by (sum of every clothing encumbrance value) + ((number of items worn/2) - 1) I believe.

So if you have a tank top (fits), trenchcoat (fits), backpack, and MBR vest (kevlar) (fits), your encumbrance would be (0+ 0 + 1 + 1) + ((4/2) - 1) = 3 total encumbrance. I don't have that gear handy right now so... someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Generally lower is better until  you're an unstoppable murder machine that can soak the skill penalties for fighting in heavier stuff. Practice, practice, practice!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:31:35 am by Darkmere »
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 1086