Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860888 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12345 on: July 03, 2014, 12:27:29 am »

I think tin and aluminum cans have boiling quality now too, sure you don't have any of those?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: July 03, 2014, 12:33:15 am »

The only cans I have are sealed with soda in them... is it using those?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: July 03, 2014, 02:13:59 am »

Possibly?

Show us your inventory.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: July 03, 2014, 10:37:48 am »

Possibly?

Show us your inventory.
Yeah, it probably would be this, although I can't confirm right now. Personally, I don't really know why cans can be used for boiling water. Whether or not the can survives the heat without damage, the can is just too damn small to boil a meaninful amount of liquid. Unless in the future every soda and canned food manufacturer uses those tall cans that Monster comes in.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: July 03, 2014, 11:13:50 am »

Possibly?

Show us your inventory.
Yeah, it probably would be this, although I can't confirm right now. Personally, I don't really know why cans can be used for boiling water. Whether or not the can survives the heat without damage, the can is just too damn small to boil a meaninful amount of liquid. Unless in the future every soda and canned food manufacturer uses those tall cans that Monster comes in.
Wait, have you ever seen a soda can in comparison to a bottle of water? You do it 1 "unit" at a time, and a bottle holds 2; a soda can, in my experience, is roughly a little over half the size of a bottle of water.

Also, the can could totally survive it. Aluminum probably isn't going to melt over a campfire. I saw it on Survivorman this one time, too.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12351 on: July 03, 2014, 11:39:08 am »

well to be fair, every boiling action only fills half a plastic bottle, so presumably you're boiling a relatively small amount of water.

e:Ninja'd because I spent a hilarious amount of time dickin around doing other things instead of hitting reply

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12352 on: July 03, 2014, 12:02:01 pm »

PTW. I think I'm ready to follow this and understand what people are talking about now that I've managed to survive a full year for the first time. I might join the actual discussion later, but not now.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #12353 on: July 03, 2014, 12:14:10 pm »

You should have joined much much earlier, that way we could of followed your every death before your obscenely successful run.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: July 03, 2014, 01:19:37 pm »

Nothing wrong with using plastic bottles to boil water if need be.

Oh god, think of the chemicals that are leaching out of that bottle when you heat it up.  What an awful idea.

You can boil water in a paper dixie cup too, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it if I had a pot or even a tin or aluminum can available.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12355 on: July 03, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »

I believe 1 'unit' of liquid is 250ml, which is the size of one of those 'tall skinny' soda cans.  500ml is the size of a monster can or a bottle of water.  So with the question 'is it enough water to bother boiling' the question is 'if I'm dying of thirst, would I enjoy a soda can full of clean water?'

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12356 on: July 03, 2014, 02:06:06 pm »

Nothing wrong with using plastic bottles to boil water if need be.

Oh god, think of the chemicals that are leaching out of that bottle when you heat it up.  What an awful idea.

You can boil water in a paper dixie cup too, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it if I had a pot or even a tin or aluminum can available.

In a post apocalyptic world (or survival situation of any kind) if you're concerned about long term health hazards like that... you've got the wrong set of priorities. :p

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: July 03, 2014, 02:52:25 pm »

In a post apocalyptic world (or survival situation of any kind) if you're concerned about long term health hazards like that... you've got the wrong set of priorities. :p

not if you have a fair level of confidence in your short term survival capabilities.  And maybe even if you dont.  I'd much rather be mauled by a bear than die of cancer.

Now, die of dysentery and dehydration from diarrhea vs die of cancer, that's a harder choice.  I guess if you can avoid dysentery in the short term, you can always find time later to be killed by a bear before the cancer gets you.

But seriously, I think in most situations I can find something to boil water in that isnt full of CFCs and BPAs or whatever the current set of nasty chemicals are supposed to be.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: July 03, 2014, 03:30:38 pm »

Besides, if you worry about carcinogens in plastic when usually you just need to toss a stone to hit something radioactive, you REALLY need to work on your priorities.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: July 03, 2014, 03:50:45 pm »

all the best superpowers come from radiation.
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 1086