Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862248 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11805 on: May 09, 2014, 01:09:43 pm »

I turn it off because I dislike it.

Does anyone else thing that (a)pplying a towel should clean off boomer bile? Possibly making the towel unusable until cleaned with water?
+1

I also believe that drying off at all should make the towel wet, and will need time to dry off.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: May 09, 2014, 01:10:02 pm »

How does int cap work? The skills only rust when they're above your int value? 

Yeah, you should be able to clean off boomer bile with a towel. Do goggles protect you from being blinded by it?

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:34 pm »

I think so, yeah.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11808 on: May 09, 2014, 01:20:38 pm »

I don't currently use skill rust because I am against the current implementation of it. It feels wrong to just lose hard work because I don't religiously bandage myself and ironically capping by int feels like a bandage with it to. I think there is a system that could work but it would need testing and too many people don't want to even touch it to get it done in any good speed.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:56 pm »

I think so, yeah.

I actually think it's a combination of Cap and Int options, so it cannot drop more than, IIRC, two levels below your max reached level and the speed of rust is slowed down by your INT rust modifier (displayed at chargen). Not sure, though, devs would need to chime in.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: May 09, 2014, 01:54:23 pm »

ironically capping by int feels like a bandage with it to.
That's exactly what it is. Adding the int cap was just a way to bring the current system closer to being balanced until we eventually get around to reworking the actual system itself. It was never intended to be a final solution, just a semi short-term fix to the current system.

And yeah, int cap is just a combination of the cap and int systems, where it will never actually drop down a level but will just decay to 0% (cap) and decay rates are modified by your int values (int).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: May 09, 2014, 03:00:28 pm »

I also believe that drying off at all should make the towel wet, and will need time to dry off.
It does this, actually. At least in the experimental.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11812 on: May 09, 2014, 04:23:24 pm »

Skill rust was implemented in the first place to counter the accumulation of skills into a super-master-of-all-character trivializing the game, can't we just drop the inane idea that people can forget skills in a matter of days and come up with a different solution ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: May 09, 2014, 04:49:40 pm »

Skill rust was implemented in the first place to counter the accumulation of skills into a super-master-of-all-character trivializing the game, can't we just drop the inane idea that people can forget skills in a matter of days and come up with a different solution ?
The problem you are stating right there isn't the fact that skill rust exists, it's the fact that it starts way too strong and scales way too quickly.

The eventual goals for the system (as I understand it) are:
  • Compress skills into a 0-10 range a bit more. 0 is no skills at all, 4-6 is average joe level, 7-8 would be a "professional" level, 9-10 would be world class level.
  • Greatly lower skill rust rates and scaling, but increase the work required to move up a level scaling. This means it will be fairly easy to accomplish getting to levels 5-8, but to reach 7-8 will take some effort and you will need occasional maintenance on the skill to maintain your level. Getting up to the 9-10 range will take much more time and effort, and will require fairly often maintenance to maintain. The end result should be that it's fairly easy for the player to maintain their normally used skills in the 7-8 range, with less used skills around 4-6 and maybe 1-2 skills up in the 9-10 range. It's not intended for the player to reach a 9-10 skill level on all of their skills, at least not without some outside help (such as a bionic).
  • Continue the knowledge/skill split that we've already started to see with the book recipes. Eventually most things will require learning the recipe more than they will a set skill level. This could also possibly be used to increase the power of skills in char gen, if players start with all or a substantial portion of recipes below their skill level unlocked at char gen than that could be a large reduction in the need to hunt a library or other information source down for specific recipes.
  • Allow the player to "practice" if they have the time and materials available. This would automate the craft/uncraft grind players get into. However this would be much less powerful than before due to the fact that most recipe access will be determined by knowledge, not by skill.
  • Allow the player to "research" potential recipes with the right time and materials. This would work similar to practicing, but would trade most of its ability to increase your skill for the chance to potentially unlock recipes for future use.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: May 09, 2014, 05:45:09 pm »

Where do you get Biollante/Tainted Veggie? I'm working on mutagens at the moment, and need plant mutagen to make elf-a.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11815 on: May 09, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »

Does leveling skills scale in cost at all right now? If they don't then try making it go up ala Fibonacci sequence. It could would help with keeping skills somewhat in check. The first few levels are still easy but the difficulty goes up in a nice progression.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: May 09, 2014, 09:26:38 pm »

Where do you get Biollante/Tainted Veggie? I'm working on mutagens at the moment, and need plant mutagen to make elf-a.
I think you get tainted veggie from Fungaloids. Been too long since I've played Cataclysm.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: May 09, 2014, 09:27:40 pm »

Does leveling skills scale in cost at all right now? If they don't then try making it go up ala Fibonacci sequence. It could would help with keeping skills somewhat in check. The first few levels are still easy but the difficulty goes up in a nice progression.
I think it does, but I'm not sure on that.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11818 on: May 09, 2014, 09:28:11 pm »

You need to find some triffids.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: May 09, 2014, 10:06:48 pm »

I figured as much. Couldn't remember if they were fungaloid or triffid.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 1086