Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862037 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11790 on: May 05, 2014, 04:35:34 am »

You could prolly trim health down, but seeing as losing health can lead to an immediate death, I'd rather it be displayed, since the alternative is giving aggressive notifications. Not that I see a point to trimming the sidebar down. Not unless you're playing with tiles bigger than 8x8 anyway. Being able to hide it would be nice if your health is full and there's no enemies around.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11791 on: May 05, 2014, 06:20:38 am »

That does bring a good idea to mind.

Can we have a customizable sidebar?

Say, I don't want to always see my stats and health. Instead of leaving it out entirely or relocating the function elsewhere, can the sidebar element that displays those parameters simply be... turned off? Like docked settings displays in some art programs. One button press to turn it on or off as needed, so you can leave it off if it's not relevant, but don't have to check some other screen if you do need to track it.

I.e. have the sidebar displays grouped by function. There is the health section, the creature tracker section, and the surroundings and status section. Arrange the sections so that they fit neatly into strips, with no section occupying the same horizontal line as another one. The health section displays the six healthbars, arranged into a 2x3 block so that they occupy less vertical space. The creature tracker shows the big compass and huge legend of visible creatures. The surroundings and status section displays all the actually essential things you want to always see - your pain level, status alerts for thirst/hunger/sleep, the morale level, and the bionic power level if appropriate, plus the mini-overmap, the location info, weather, and time of day - grouped together because the minimap is fairly large vertically, but occupies little horizontal space. If it can be customized more thoroughly than that, it'd be quite good, but even this setup - mechanically rather simple, in my opinion - could work for those of us who want to see less space taken up by status displays.

Conversely, it can be done the other way as well - more things could be displayed on the sidebar, like skill rust warnings. The sidebar already functions like that to an extent - new panels pop up when a weapon is being targeted or an item is moused over. This could be an extension of that functionality.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:23:31 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11792 on: May 05, 2014, 06:28:14 am »

I like that idea.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11793 on: May 05, 2014, 07:22:17 am »

If I had to rearrange the health stuff so it isn't all vertical, I'd actually do it with two columns, one being for torso and head, and the other being the four limbs. Kinda emphasizes which ones are more important left to right that way.

Barring a customizable sidebar, skillrust warnings and the other stuff Sean mentioned sound good, with the option to hide it for more situation awareness. That way at least you can pretend you're being lost in the moment, whether that's combat or exploration. Once hunger or thirst or pain reaches a certain level it can pop itself back out again maybe.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11794 on: May 05, 2014, 07:28:42 pm »

Latest experimental added coverage to a lot of items that didn't have coverage before. I went from 0 encumbrance to 6! That's what I get for stacking 0 encumbrance items for free storage, I suppose.

I like it though. It's much more realistic.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:37:11 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11795 on: May 05, 2014, 08:24:00 pm »

What were you wearing?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11796 on: May 05, 2014, 10:05:19 pm »

Sean: In other words, make a tiled widget system with dynamic layout.
I don't have a problem with the idea, but thinking about implementing it myself doesn't exactly light my pants on fire.

What were you wearing?
I'm going to guess, "anything that didn't increase encumbrance" ;)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11797 on: May 06, 2014, 06:12:20 am »

What were you wearing?
Right now, Motor cycle leathers, MOLLE pack, fire fighters mask and a top hat.
What i need now is a more refined weapon, a machete just feels abit crass.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11798 on: May 06, 2014, 07:47:19 am »

._.

That's odd.

I hope this doesn't affect the game much.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11799 on: May 06, 2014, 07:50:42 am »

I'm thinking about embarking with some survival skill and trying to make my way minecraft style in the wilderness with little to no raiding of cities until I am much better equipped.

Its kind of easy to survive now.. with the ability to make wooden needles you can have a needle, thread, and tons of rags before even leaving the starting safehouse.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11800 on: May 06, 2014, 08:23:53 am »

You can pick up survival skill pretty easily from fondling examining shrubberyni!   Spend the saved point on Night Vision, it's really nice so you can hunt at night a bit easier, although without a flashlight it's still pretty painful.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11801 on: May 06, 2014, 09:14:49 pm »

What were you wearing?

Lots of 0 coverage items. Two scabbards, two leather belts, a drop pouch, and a few other items. I'm back down to 1 encumbrance (2 with my leather cloak, I'm raiding a cold lab atm), which is just fine. Plenty of protection, and those turrets aren't dangerous at range (I'm not taking any chances though... I have explosive arrows bitch!).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11802 on: May 09, 2014, 12:46:16 pm »

What do you guys do as far as skill rust?  I play with it on, and I find it doesn't cause me too many problems, but then I'm usually practicing the skills I use fairly often anyway.  It seems like the only way to prevent all characters from being awsome at everything.

Is there a max skill level?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11803 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:38 pm »

I turn it off because I dislike it.

Does anyone else thing that (a)pplying a towel should clean off boomer bile? Possibly making the towel unusable until cleaned with water?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11804 on: May 09, 2014, 12:54:15 pm »

What do you guys do as far as skill rust?  I play with it on, and I find it doesn't cause me too many problems, but then I'm usually practicing the skills I use fairly often anyway.  It seems like the only way to prevent all characters from being awsome at everything.

Is there a max skill level?

I play with IntCap, but it seems to nigh-completely turn it off or slow it massively. Which I like, because I had to re-read a single book hundreds of times because I kept falling of my lvl 10 skill when I played with basic rust and that's just plain annoying.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 1086